Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golden Goal To Go!

• 28-04-2003 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Just saw this on Yahoo.

Golden Goal

Apparently, instead of waiting for the first goal to be scored in Extra-Time, the "Silver Goal" (Dodgy name or wha'?) is going to come into play!!

Good or bad idea? Soon find out I suppose......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sad that such an old sport still has the cruellest fo ways to end a match in penos.
    Golden Goal can be good i seen some great games where both teams went for it.
    Silver goal seems like a good idea.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Hmmz i never really liked golden goal , what i loved was the tension of the clock counting down while holding onto a 1 goal lead in extra time. Guess the SIlver Goal rule will make it more like it was.

Still prefer the original way tho. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Seems fairer alright.

Although the tension of Golden Goal would be lessened - remember the extra time in euro 2000? - there would be less oppurtunity for really dodgy decisions to ruin games (altho i dont think i remember seeing a bad desicion on a golden goal - am i being senile?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

I've never been a fan of golden goal, and I have to say that the silver goal sounds a *little* bit better.

Why dont they dont they take it one step further and change the shoot out to what they have in ice-hockey. ie get the ball 40 yards out and try beat the keeper! That would be great for the spectators. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

About time I never liked th erule and thought it ruined matches. The silver goal rule does sound interesting IMO and at least it gives the conceding team a chance to claw one back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Oh no thats not a good idea. Considering the amount of Liverpool players that freeze when it comes to one-on-one's !!! "Heskey, he's clean through, only the goalie to beat, oh he's kicked it into the keepers hands!" *

The Silver Goal, if its level after 90 minutes, then there's one 15 minute period after. If a team leads at the end of the 15 minutes then they win. If not then there's another 15 minute period. If a team leads at the end of the 2nd period then they win. If not it goes to penos...

FFS just do away with all this bollix. The old way was the best.

*if they actually got to a final i mean

Originally posted by ciano

Why dont they dont they take it one step further and change the shoot out to what they have in ice-hockey. ie get the ball 40 yards out and try beat the keeper! That would be great for the spectators. :D

They do this in MLS in the US. For the first few years the mls decided that americans didnt like tied matches and as a result there was a penalty shootout after each drawn game to give a result. That was the form the penalties took.

I think they have done away with it now.

Originally posted by Space_Coyote
    The old way was the best.

I agree with ya there!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by ciano
    I agree with ya there!
    Me too.

What old way?

Straight to penos? no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It's good to see them do something about the Golden Goal. While it's rather unfortunate to see a match settled on penalties I always felt that theres a certain injustice in not allowing a counter attack.

Normal extra time provides almost the same tension as so much is at stake and does give the better team a chance to recover from what could be a one off fluke.

A "silver goal" style finish (while slightly contrived) will provide a strong bonus to teams to score first in first half extra time while giving a chance to respond to the opponent.

And on the MLS run-in penalty point, if I remember correctly Ireland (one of the older youth age groups) were involved in one of these the World Youth Championships on this basis a few years ago.

originally posted by Dustaz
    What old way?

Straight to penos? no thanks.
    No no, the old way before the golden goal rule came in. 30 mins of extra time, if its level go to penos then. Simple. This silver goal lark is an experiment for this seasons Champs League and UEFA Cup finals. If it doesn't work then UEFA will scrap the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

replay's are an even bigger joke, remember the old worthless cup way of having the final replayed? :rolleyes:

Because of number of games teams have to play these days, obviously replays arent a good idea imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Replays would be unfair on the fans, as 99% of the time, neirther side is even from the same country as where the final is played, and many people rely on long-term savings and loans for European trips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

In one of the first world cups, italy versus Uruguay I think, the match ended in a draw. So they had to have a replay ... the next day. Uruguay eventually won as most of the Italian players along with a few of their own were collapsing from exhaustion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

This silver goal rule is like overtime in NBA basketball, where if the teams are tied after the first overtime it goes to a second one and so on.

This is better idea than golden goal, it's more just. But how long til they scrap this rule too.

Ye know what UEFA are like. They'll scrap this rule when they come up with their next ingenious idea. The only reason they came up with this 'Silver' Goal pox is because the Golden Goal is too sudden a shock to the system. There's more of a chance that fans will go crazy with the intense instant rush of emotion caused by a 'Golden' Goal. So they say anyhoo. Supposably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by daveirl
    Well the real old way is to have a replay.
    Actually the REAL old fashion way (in international football at least) was to flip a coin.

For example in 1968 Italy unbelively won a European Championship SEMI-FINAL(!) against the USSR on a single toss of a coin.

Perhaps it's time to bring back the tradition as money seems to be the only thing thats important in topflight football these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement