Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question - Show destop button

Options
  • 28-04-2003 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

So i was just wondering how u get the show destop button in the taskbar in WinXp as shown below
    taskbar.gif

and also how do u put any other program icons/shortcuts down there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

i don't remember exactly with the show desktop icon... try looking here

as for adding other shortcuts there, right-click on the taskbar, uncheck Lock the Taskbar, then drag'n'drop, copy and paste your shortcut in there, adjust the length of the quick launch bar so you can see all the icons, then lock the taskbar again. whatever your preference is really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Also, if you drag your "show desktop" icon off you taskbar and open it with notepad you should see that it is actually just a simple text file.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

That the Quick Launch toolbar isn't it. If you want to add any thing into that tooldar you should be able to right click on the toolbar itself and select open to open the folder for the toolbar.

As leeroybrown said the txt file would look like this
    [Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop

but how would this help you??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

but how would this help you??

it would help me cuz its really handy to be able to see the desktop in one click!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

if you cant get that working theres plenty of little apps that do it for you.

i think www.majorgeek.com might be a good place to start

• Advertisement

Originally posted by suppafly
    it would help me cuz its really handy to be able to see the desktop in one click!

I mean how would knowing the txt of the shortcut help you. :rolleyes:
    You can do the same thing by pressing the windows key and 'D' at the same time.
    This does the same thing as the icon. Or you can do a minimise all by doing a WindowsKey and 'M'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

ah but thats 2 clicks then isnt it ;)

i assume the text could be sued to create your own shorcut using that code that the SHOW DESKTOP icon points to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

http://members.boards.ie/tman/Show_Desktop.zip

that's from a 2k machine, but it should work with xp.
    unzip that & drag the file to the quicklaunch bar (after right clicking on the taskbar & unchecking 'lock the taskbar)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Keyboard: Start Button + "D" to minimize/restore all windows

Originally posted by Gone Shootin
    ah but thats 2 clicks then isnt it ;)
    well they're keyboard shortcuts... so would you call them clicks ;)
    i assume the text could be sued to create your own shorcut using that code that the SHOW DESKTOP icon points to
    what would you save it as... I'd be interested if you get this method to work.
    Keyboard: Start Button + "D" to minimize/restore all windows
    It doesn't actually restore all windows, only those that were open when you did pressed the shortcut.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by jabberwock
    what would you save it as... I'd be interested if you get this method to work.

Anything ending in .scf

Originally posted by jabberwock
    I mean how would knowing the txt of the shortcut help you. :rolleyes:
    You can do the same thing by pressing the windows key and 'D' at the same time.
    This does the same thing as the icon. Or you can do a minimise all by doing a WindowsKey and 'M'

i didn't ask for the code for it, just how u go about getting the icon to throw down into the quick launch bar, but people have kindly given me the file, so its grand

[edit]just d/l that file and unlocked the taskbar but it won't let me drag it or other stuff(well its lest me put folders but nots as a shortcut button) into the taskbar. It will only let me drag it into the satrt menu, whats the story? Cuz i was able to drag stuff into the quick launch menu, but that was one Win2000. Can u not do it in WinXP?[edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

easiest way:

search: show desktop

then just drag the link to your quicklaunch, provided its not locked it will work.

ive tried it with 9X, 2K and Xp with no probs.

edit: also to add other stuff, just drag a shortcut down to the quicklaunch.

Yeah i did all of that already. I have the icon, unlocked the toobar, dragged it down and then nothing. Its works fine when i do it here out at my course on win2k but not at home on win XP?whats the story? i know ye said i can use windows key + d but i'd like to have that icon down there(and be ablke to move more down there cuz it doesn't seem to be lettting me at the mo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Try right-clicking on the quick launch bar and select 'open folder', and drag the file into that window.

the code above will work if you just enter it into a txt file and save it as "Show Desktop.scf" (thanks dun_do_bheal;) )

Advertisement