Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benq AWL700

• 28-04-2003 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Lo all,

Just thought I'd say..

I was setting up a small Office Wireless LAN with 7 clients and one AP and had the misfortune being supplied for my task cheap ZoNet Access Point.

I had untold trouble, no connections and after 4 hours of strife, after trying various things like disabling WEP, etc I found that the USB AP will block traffic when the USB cable is plugged in!!!!
    Nowhere in the Docs does it say this! The AP has Power, Ethernet and USB (for configuration). Even after that I could not get 64-bit WEP clients to connect successfully, even using just a single shared key. I threw back the AP to the project manager.

On comes the replacement, a 4-port LAN Benq AWL700 Wireless broadband router....
    What a difference! ...after 50 minutes of reconfig, everything was up and running, correct routing tables on all clients, using the built-in DHCP server on the AWL700. Gateways were set successfully and all clients could 'dial on demand'.

The Web-based config interface of the router is very very nice, quiet simple for first-timers and can be very advanced for the experienced. For example, I set up an access list based on MAC address and could even assign multiple MAC addresses/I.P.s to the router incase I wanted to run a nameserver on it also.

I dont know how much it costs, but it just goes to show, for a little extra, sometimes you can get alot extra. When dealing with a commerical installation like this, scriping and saving is not the best solution.

Now, if only the project manager knew that before he ordered at 65e AP :)

J.

Advertisement