Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who should liverpool buy??

• 28-04-2003 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

well hello fellow footie fans (and more importantly 'pool fans!)
    who should liverpool buy to strengthen the team and squad in preperation for (hopefully) a title push next season? in an ideal world it'd be duff and possibly a good attacking mid ala poyet. well thats wat i fink, hows bouts you's guys???
    :ninja:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

They should first buy a less defensivly minded manager imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    They should first buy a less defensivly minded manager imo.

^ totally agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

Agree about the Manager!

After what happened with Litmanen if they buy Duff he could end up on the bench! :confused: It would be great if they could get Steve Finnan and I see Basturk may be available for free, a good attacking player.

http://www.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=144000&cpid=22&title=Reds+monitor+Basturk+situation

Dugarry? Probably stay with Birmingham
    McManaman? probably join up with his mate fowler

like to see Vignal back as well:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Duff/Kewell/Emerton/Yakin/Rivaldo/Finnan/Carr

Any/all of the above would make me happy.

And some kind of proven goalscorer to replace Heskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Before going out and spending more (adding to the £100 million GH has spent to date), I'd offload a few players first. If nothing else, it would reduce their massive wage bill!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well if scouse don't make the CL no decent player would even consider joining them. Who the fuk wants to play in 1 dimensional team that plays 11 at the back?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Probably someone unheard of from the Ivory Coast who wont even make the liverpool reserve team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Houllier has got an awful lot of stick this season and has a lot of pressure on for next season , however I still think he's a good manager , it was a bit unfortunate that fans expectations rose higher than the capabilities of the team ... I think we need to get rid of some of the dead wood and try to blood some of the promising youths which has given a start to some of the stars of today( Owen , Gerrard , Murphy etc. ) - Richie Partridge has looked good while on loan at coventry , also Neil Mellor (there's probably more too) - I think Houllier should sell 2-3 players and buy in 2-3 players and thats it ....

IN:
    Damien Duff
    Gareth Barry
    Steed Malbranque

OUT:
    Igor Biscan
    Djimi Traore
    Bruno Cheyrou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Originally posted by LizardKing
    it was a bit unfortunate that fans expectations rose higher than the capabilities of the team

But considering the amout of money the guy has spent, expecting to win the title isnt unrealistic, is it?

It is a bit when you have the likes of Man Ure , Arsenal , Chelsea

Realisticly Liverpool are a good cup team , who rise to the occasion in cups / some league games but the teams downfall is the lack of consistancy which has plauged them for the last 2 -3 seasons and especially this season on home form.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic but I do not think they'll win the premiership until they can put together a consistant run of positive league results and they play every game as if it was against Man U in the Worthy Final :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I agree with LizardKing about criticism of GH. Granted he has made soem very stupid decisions this season but I still think he's an alright manager. However he needs to bring more flare into the side.

There are alot of players in the squad that get paid but don't do the job - Biscan, Traore, Smicer, Heskey, Cheryou. These players muct be sold for the sole reason that they don't make the cut. Hamann could also be sold to bring in cash to buy a more creative midifelder.

Now who should they bring in. Well I would like to see Steve Finnan, Steed Malbranque and Damien Duff/Harry Kewell.

If they don;t get a CL spot they won't have the money for all of these so rumour has it that Savio could be on the cards because he'l be free at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

he consistently refuses to consider players who have undoubted creative ability but prob couldn't cover the pitch making tackles. There are a number in the youth/reserves who have great promise but the obviuos case is Litma a proven player who was treated poorly, partidge needs a run, Foley-sheridan should get his chance too,

IMO baros has the promise to be a great player, no need to waste money on another striker with those lads there costing money.

Is it an indication that he wants creativity when he plays smicer(worst pro in league?) Diuof on the wing, heskey on wing, he's trying to do something without the personnel or is it something else

Looks like Dugarry doesn't want to go anywhere only stay at Birmingham. He was a target of GH's a while ago. But I don't think Liverpool need strikers. Owen and Baros would be my first choice front two all the time with Diouf and Mellor as back up. That's plenty up front.

Didi Hamann is saying today to the Liverpool website that he wants to stay at Anfield. I would prefer if he was sold for 8 or 9 million to bring in funds.

If Liverpool don't get CL they will have to cut the team down but the question is will GH do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Matters

We need to restore the quality Irish connection with LFC again, and hopefully that can help the good times to roll again.

In.
    Duff
    Finnan
    Michael Tonge
    Djibril Cisse
    Michael Dawson
    Steed Malbranque

Out...Out...Please take the garbage out.
    Smicer
    Biscan
    Berger(Thanks, but your'e just not there anymore)
    Heskey...Poor Emile..lil'mike will have to get a new best friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Liverpool need wingers BADLY. but **** nah, ya aint getting Duff. I can bet you anything.

Steed Malbranque ... what a player

is Malbranque really all that good, haven't heard much reported about him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Dont Ban Me

Someone who can play exciting fotball, becuase lets face it they are probably the most boring team to watch in the last few years, especially since Houiller took over!

Someone along the lines of Mendieta or Zè Roberto is what they need.

Originally posted by uberwolf

He's an midfielder who can play out wide and is very comfortable going forward. He is Fulham's top scorer this season afaik.

Originally posted by robz150

and I see Basturk may be available for free, a good attacking player.

If yee got him yee couldnt have a go at us for cheating. I remember him getting Ray Parlour sent off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I hope Berger goes off to a good team ,that guy is a class player and goes on the list of players whose careers were ruined by Liverpool.
    Hopefully spain or somewere amazing how liverpool fans bitch about no width when he is one of the best wide players in the world.
    Just shame pool fans dont get to see that.

kdjac

I don't like him at all, 1-dimensional player who shoots before he looks up, at least thats what he's always done in liverpool colours... whats he like for czech rep? I know he's knocked them in for them but not as a wide player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I agree with Kdjac, I think he is a smashing player. He is also proff of Houlliers lack of imagination. Smicer always gets a game before Berger, yet to my mind Berger adds alot more to the tema than that headless chicken Vlad ever would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Schepel

Anyone heard of a new kid called Mannix. Seemingly he's been at the 'Pool' academy since he was about twelve and he's Michael Owen & Stephen Gerard all rolled into one. He's 17 this year so maybe he could be our very own 'Wayne Rooney'. Not sure what stage he's at now but I heard about him from someone who works at Anfield.

FROM liverpoolfc.tv

david mannix: u-17
    DOB : 24/08/95
    pos : midfield
    nationality : english

A talented central midfield player who has represented England at schoolboy and under-17 level David Mannix is a player of immense potential. He possesses a great range of passing, is two footed and a great competitor. Despite missing three months of last season through injury David made great progress playing for the under-17s and caught the eye of the then reserve team coach Joe Corrigan who handed him his debut against Middlesbrough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Schepel

Thanks for that LizardKing,

Probably a few years away from being much use to GH now I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Also hes not french and wont cost 4 or 5 million so GH prolly wont even lok at him.
    Doesnt seem to like playing youths unless he has to.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Originally posted by uberwolf

He plays really really well for Fulham constantly running at defenders always seems to play the clever ball. He can score goals too, which is a nice bonus.

I wish Liverpool didn't feel the need to raid Fulham in the off season but if it goes ahead how about instead of taking Finnan and Malbranque (our best players) you can take the following prize pony’s:

Andy Melville
    Lee Clark
    Steve Marlet (but only if your willing to pay the 11 million we did)
    Andrejis Stolcers

What we call flair players at Fulham, how about if you pay 11 million for Marlet and we throw in the other three for free.

I'm sure that Steed Malbranque and Steve Finnan are far too developed for G H anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Realistically if Duff was going to move, would he relaly move to Liverpool.

Half the clubs in the world would be interested in him, whats going to intice him to Liverpool?

• Advertisement

Someone who can play exciting fotball, becuase lets face it they are probably the most boring team to watch in the last few years, especially since Houiller took over!

Dont know who said it...but what a Eamonn Dunphy statement...jesus creativity at its best

I think Duff will go to Utd along with Ronaldinho and Kapo(auxerre,meant to be next Henry). About Barthez going, i think so, but i dont think Carroll will replace him. Paul Robinson of leeds apparently(who knows) but that still wont be a no1 keeper. Liverpool wont get Malbranque. I personally dont think he would suit their play. Poor Owen up front...hes a good player, but he gets **** all service.

Came accross this relieving news on the Liverpool website.
    Rick Parry today insisted Liverpool won't be put off spending in the transfer market this summer if the Reds fail to qualify for the Champions League.

Gerard Houllier's men must win at Chelsea next week to secure their place in Europe's premier club competition next season, but while Parry insists it will be a blow if they fail to make it he reassures fans that it won't be fatal.

And the Reds' chief executive is also optimistic that Liverpool's summer signings will have the supporters on the edge of their seats next season.

"We will be bringing in new players," said Parry. "There will certainly be a couple. It's about quality and not quantity this summer. We have a big squad now and enough players. It's a case of identifying those of real quality who can make a difference for us.

"We've got a shortlist of players - it's quite a long shortlist at the moment - and it's something we're working on all the time.

"I'm reasonably hopeful that the sort of players we'll be bringing in will please the fans and have them on the edge of their seats. We want them to be players who will make a significant improvement.

"It'll be a disappointment and a blow if we're not in the Champions League but it wouldn't be fatal and we would bounce back. Money is tight in the game at the moment but we haven't overstretched ourselves.

"Failure to qualify for the Champions League isn't going to stop us spending a bit of money so our fans can be reassured on that score."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Well if GH gets Cisse then that must imply that one of teh strikers are on the way out and I'm sure that would have to be Heskey. GH is hardly that confused that he would offload Baros.

Widespread reports today are saying that Finnan is set to sign for Liverpool next week. Then Liverpool are set to table a 17million bid for Duffer.

Been in the papers today

Finnan expected to sign for Liverpool
    08/05/03: Liverpool are expected to make Fulham's Steve Finnan their first summer signing in a £4 million, according to reports today.

It is understood that Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier is close to completing a deal for the Republic of Ireland defender, who will play his final game for Fulham at Charlton on Sunday.

Steed Malbranque may also join his Fulham team-mate Finnan at Anfield in a £3 million deal.

Reports also claim Liverpool will then turn their attentions to Blackburn's Damien Duff.

If Liverpool fail to beat Chelsea on Sunday, they will miss out on a Champions League windfall and be consigned to the UEFA Cup.

also on bbc here http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/3009915.stm

finnan malbranque duff cisse (I'd be happy enough with them)

Originally posted by LizardKing

As would I LizardKing. It would shake up the side where they need it most. According to that acticle GH is front runner in the race for Duff. I'd imagine this is because Utd have not actually said they will table an offer for him yet (or have they - feel free to correct me).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

It would surely revolutionise the pool. Dont know much about malbranque though, whats he like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think Malbranque should be bought in just cos he's named after the coolest secret agent of the lot - Steed!

Mike.

As would I LizardKing. It would shake up the side where they need it most. According to that acticle GH is front runner in the race for Duff. I'd imagine this is because Utd have not actually said they will table an offer for him yet (or have they - feel free to correct me).

No but they are interested. Its so obvious. If Utd want him, they will get him, if they dont want him, its btwn pool and arsenal.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I don't understand peoples lack of patience with Cheyrou. He's hardly been given a run in the team and he has showed glimpses of a great player. The likes of Henry, Pires and Lyungberg were all pants for a couple of seasons and now look at them. Give the chap a chance. He's also being played out of position. His best place is in the hole behind the front 2 with a free role. He played there against Lazio in a pre season friendly and he was brilliant. We won that game 4-0 mainly because of him.

Now there's rumours about Utd linked to Makelalie and Gattuso has said they enquired about him. If they are thinking about a central midfielder and a wide midfielder then one would wonder where Duff will play:( if he does go to Utd.

I dont think any of the young players at Liverpool will get a big chance there. We have seen it with Partridge particularly. GH brings them in to play them out of position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I agree with LFC about Cheyrou, I htink he will be a good player. I am just not sure it will happen under Houllier, who seems to insist on playing attacking players out of position as often as possible.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Taken from Skysports.com
    <SNIP>
    And another reported United target, Jermain Defoe, has vowed to quit West Ham even if they stay in the Premiership if the Sunday Mirror are to be believed.

His West Ham strike partner Freddie Kanoute will also be on the move and could go to Liverpool for £6.5 million, while Gerard Houllier looks for a buyer for Emile Heskey.

Would Kanoute be a good replacement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

He couldn't be any worse.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by NeRb666
    He couldn't be any worse.

Yeah, that's true! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

They'd be better off with a bunch of Eircom league players

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Easy-C

thats a insult to eircom leauge players,
    Liverpool should break the bank to get
    duff,not someone that sounds like him
    which they did. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

With the Hammers gone to purgatory if not hell, several players are ripe for picking, not just Kanoute and Defoe
    are obvious but also one Paulo Di Canio is avilible methinks...for free at that! :)

Mike.

I am a UTD fan but even if Liverpool get Duff, he would fit in really well there...but if he goes to Utd he would be even better. See everyone is forgetting Duff can play up front as well, and Ronaldinho can play central, left or upfront. Giggs can play attacking central or wide. Basically I have come to the conclusion that giggs will be going if duff is coming beco im convinced ronaldinho is coming, and then theres no room left for wide left or up front.

Djibril, Damien, Steve(Finnan or Carr)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Liverpool have a £3.5 million deal already agreed with Fulham for Steve Finnan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement