Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who should liverpool buy??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

tabloid talk is one thing, the scum or the star have a system where they have players names in one hat and clubs in another, every week the intern picks one from each and is responsible fro that weesk rumour.

That said I do believe that qoutes attributed to Finnan suggest you're right ButcherOfNog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I don't pay attention to the tabloids, koptalk.com tends to be reasonably accurate regarding whats going on tho, what they say is (i just quoted the important stuff):
    Hamman, Smicer (thank ****) and probably Heskey are all on the way out to bring in funds apparently. Houllier has stated he needs cover in defense, and a skill player to link midfield and attack, which he states they have lacked up till now (very true). The board has made 20m avail for transfers (liverpool received 8m for finishing 5th in premiership).

Houllier has been in Auxerre for talks regarding Cisse and one of their defenders. I don't think Liverpool need Cisse, but he maybe seen as a direct replacement for Heskey. As pool are not in the Champions League tho, I can't see the point of have another striker, I'd like to see a settled team.

I'm pretty confident that he'll sign Duff for 12-15m, that would hopefully see a midfield of Diouf/Murphy/Gerrard/Duff lining up next season. Slightly more forward thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

GH said today to liverpoolfc.tv that he can see Gregory Vignal playing a big part in his plans next season after a successful loan spell. I think he is a good player who can be good cover and maybe evven fight with Risse for the Left Full position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭steveocn300

I think Duff/Finan and Cisse
    I was at Anfield for the UEFA Cup tie against Auxerre and Cisse really does look the part.
    I also believe that Liverpool should get rid of Jimmy Troare, Patrik Berger, Igor Biscan and the like.
    Cheyrou very disappointing this season
    Diouf had good spells will be good
    Diao likewise but didnt get enough starts
    Litmanen should never have gone
    McAllister should have been offered a one year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

McAllister had a management release clause to my knowledge, but ur right his class/maturity was missed. Litmanen should still be there, no doubt. Traore is pants, absolutley brutal.

All tha talk has been about bringing that flair, etc. but what about an old head, another McAllister cos i think he was Houlliers bets aquistion to date...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i agree litmanen should still be there, as should fowler and mcmanaman
    they've got loads of players they could/should get rid of, as mentioned
    i would love to see duff playing for them, regularly
    hopefully they'll make the changes so next season will be the way this one should've been

GH has been abroad most of the week scouting possible signing, notably Hakin Yakin the other night. They are saying he could be available for as little as 750,000. i find it hard to believe but that's what it says here.

Of all the players linked to Liverpool lately the ones I would like to see brought in are:

Hakin Yakin (imagine him and Stevie G in the centre)
    Damien Duff or Harry Kewell
    Jean-Alain Boumsong (unlikely)
    Steve Finnan

I would be a very happy camper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Would like to see Duff or Kewell join - however if we get Kewell and Utd or Arsenal get Duff then I would see us as having disimproved by comparison.

Deco looked good last night - mind you El Hadj Diouff looked fantastic against France last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did anyone else hear the notion that Macca (steve) might join EVERTON
    this summer?

The Hakin Yakin story is so persistent it gives me hope he might actually join but not at 750K surely? Someone must have dropped a zero somewhere.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by mike65
    Did anyone else hear the notion that Macca (steve) might join EVERTON
    this summer?
    Mike.

dear god no, i'd hate to see that
    but i haven't heard anything about it before

yakin is a good player, that'd be sweet

I saw this morning that Leeds are in talks with Patrik Berger. It was in the headlines on sky sports news.
    Who would want to buy Emile Heskey is my question and do u think we will get more than £5 million for him?
    Yakin would be a good addition to the squad but I still have this weird feeling that Houllier might buy French again this close season but if he buys bad and we have a bad start to the league do u think Houllier could go?

if they have a bad season i think houllier could and should go
    his one dimensional defensive tactics are shameful, i support the team, but its true that they're a pretty boring side to watch
    a more agresssive coach would be welcome, if he does leave celtic i'd like martin o'neil to go to liverpool, he's proved his quality repeatedly
    although i do respect houllier getting us 2nd place last season, which was a big improvement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I heard that Yakin had a £750k release clause in his contract months ago, but I'm not sure if it was true.

He'd certainly be a welcome addition to the team and alongside Duff in midfield and Cisse up front, would open up a whole new side of Liverpool.

Houllier has also said he'd like to buy an old hand, like Gary Macalaster(sp). Nobody really comes to mind that I'd like to see in a LFC shirt.

I heard that Kevin Keegan was gona go in for Macca. That would make three ex-Pool players in the team (and three good players at that :( )

I don't think Cisse will be bought this year. Guy Roux doesn't want to let him go and as for Boumsoung - he wants to play for Marsellies. I'd like if they made a swoop for Mexas instead.

One worrying thought is what GH will think of Sven's praise of 'match winner' Heskey last night. Hope it doesn't go to GH's head:(

Originally posted by steveocn300
    Who would want to buy Emile Heskey is my question and do u think we will get more than £5 million for him?
    Heskey scored for England last night. I think we should definitely cash in on him and 5 mil should be achievable. While I think he is crap (and I'm not the only one), it seems a lot of people in the position to buy him think otherwise, Houllier and Ericson being two for starters.

With people as astute as this managing top flight football teams there should be no reason why we can't get 5 mil.

• Advertisement

Spurs offered 8million for him reportedly;) That would do nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Todays gossip (from football365.co.uk)

LIVERPOOL SWOOP FOR ESSIEN?
    Ghana international Mikael Essien has been revealed as a Liverpool target by the Daily Mirror – just days after he was linked with a move to Everton. Essien currently plays for Corsican club Bastia and is said to be available for around £4m.

Meanwhile, it seems that Leeds have emerged as clear favourites to sign Liverpool’s out-of-favour winger Patrik Berger.

Also suggests macca going to man. city on a free ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

I must say I agree with Nog.

It's generally known the Koptalk is the best for information on possible transfers etc. Most know the people from within the club monitor and even post of the boards.

Cheyrou looks very skillful, but looks like he's terrified when he plays of getting hit or tackling. Unless you are prepared to learn to get stuck in and be more physical all the skill in the world won't help.

As for transfers GH is crazy about Cisse and has been after him for a long time. Heskey may of scored for England but I think will go if Cisse arrives.

Finnan deal is not done but close and add to the Duff or Kewell you got a great start for next season.

B

I read today that Macca is linked with Man City and Berger in talks with Leeds United.
    Why would Macca wanna leave Real Madrid? He has the life, the luxury and the money.
    I honestly think Heskey's day are numbered if Liverpool bring in Cisse but Heskey is a powerhouse and should play like that, he aint a natural goalscorer but as my dad keeps tellin me Liverpool always had a big fella and a little fella up front!
    When u think back about the players Liverpool have let go it does disappoint u! Litmanen, McAllister, Fowler, Redknapp, Anelka, McManaman some great talents!

Whatever happened to all the talk about Haken Sas?

On the Maccas, Steve must be getting bored at Real dispite all the money, and I cant think of anyone who could replace Gary except maybe Rivaldo....did'nt Houllier say he was too old/expensive blah, blah...a few months back? He did -
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/low/football/teams/l/liverpool/2899789.stm

Mike.

• Advertisement

Liverpool are lining up another bid for Damien Duff which includes Emile Heskey going the other way it was reported in today’s Irish Daily Mirror.
    Anfield Boss Houllier is lining up a new striker after launching a £10million bid for French International Striker Djbril Cisse.
    Houllier has already began a clearout. Patrik Berger, Markus Babbel, Vegard Heggem, Abel Xavier, Gregory Vignal and Peggy Arphexad will all be released and both Hamann and Smicer could be sold.
    Houllier has promised the fans 3 major signings who will all be capable of going straight into the team.
    Well all that was in today’s Irish Daily Mirror so it sounds promising.
    I hope the 3 players he is talking about are Finan, Duff and Cisse!

Looks like he's bringing over the two 18 year olds from Le Harve this season. Also there is another 20 year old (Ghanain I think) midfielder playing in France that he seems to be about to buy (and then lend back to them). I wish there was a little more movement on the deals for Finnan, Duff etc.

That Ghanian you speak of is Mickael Essien who is also currenly been chased by PSG and Everton. This Essien looked good when I saw him play on Eurgoals (if only for a moment). But I have to ask why are they looking for a midfielder to send straight back out on loan. I thought he was going for players that can go straight into the first team. According to all the papers it's alomost a done deal but the Liverpool website said tehy have given up interest.

Like GH says himself about players he bought that took time to settle into the game and getting used to the English game - it will take time but yet he seems to think that leaving Essien with a French first division side will help him:rolleyes:

I'm really beginning to wonder what exactly he has in mind.

I have doubts over whether the cranky Souness would accept heskey and money offer but the Blackburn board might.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

rUMOURS ARE THE bOARD HAS BLOCKED THE MOVE.

Enough potential, quality needed.

Latest from planetfootball.com has said that GH is prepared to spend 20million for Cisse but also give Le Tallac and Pongolle to Auxerre on loan for a year to persuade Guy Roux to sell Cisse.

Now that sounds like a good move from GH to give the two youndsters another year of experience of playing top flite French footie and at the same time bring in a great striker.

But one has to wonder if he is prepared to spend 20million on him where will the funds for people liek Finnan, Kewell or Duff come from?:( Unless they offload Heskey and Hamann to get some dosh together

Originally posted by jonno
    Latest from planetfootball.com has said that GH is prepared to spend 20million for Cisse but also give Le Tallac and Pongolle to Auxerre on loan for a year to persuade Guy Roux to sell Cisse.
    Is Cisse really a 20m player? Liverpool have a terrible habbit of paying over the odds for Front players (Hesky, Collymore, Saunders - thats without scratching my head).

If it came to spending 20m on a player, who is better: Cisse or Duff? or more to the point who do we need more. I would reluctantly go for Duff but for that price I would like someone a little less injury prone.

I rate Cisse very very highly (except his hair), I've seen him play alot in Europe, the French league and for France. His pace is equal to that of Henry's, he is a very good goalscorer from anywhere(i.e a wicked hard shot). If ever GH wanted to play a striker on the wing, this is the one I would play out there.

He is worth 15million sterling I think (that's the price Auxerre put on him). The only problem I see is that will there be enough to buy two or three more players. Guess we'll see come the 1st June when all the action starts.

From TribalFootball, liverpool are in a race against Juve for Cisse, are going to offer 12mil sterling and also loan the two 18year olds to Auxerre.

12mil is a little more rational at least.

Sorry when I said 20 million I was talking Euro's as was stated in the article. It's around 12 steling alright. Just read earlier that Cisse wants to leave Auxerre and would preferably move to Mersey side ahead of hometown team Marsellie.

In other news today, Souness is vowing not to let Duff leave and Duff also said he wants to play CL football. So maybe if Blackburn are going to hold onto him, then Liverpool might bring in Kewell. I'd be well happy with GH adding HK and Cisse to the starting lineup;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

well personally i feel we will never win the premiership under gerárd.players that should see the door at liverpool this season are : SMICER,CHEYROU,DIOMEDE,BISCAN,HESKEY,EL HADJI DIOUF,DIAO,TRAORE,heggem and berger.

i could go on with more but i feel we prob ahd better keep a few players.i just find it scary to think that houlleir will be given 15million++ to spend this season when i can honestly hand on heart say that no big money signing of houllier has ever shown value(except hammann+the keepers...but remember westerveld?).he has been rescued by small money signings like hyypia,henchoz andmcallister or litmanen.

his treatment of players like babbel and litmanen leaves alot to be desired.feel he should give players like richie partridge a chance this season,he has potential to be as good as duffer:ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

somebody mentioned that they couldnt think of who could be the experienced player that houllier should get.....i think he should grab john collins,he would be magic:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Cisse has told French sports daily L'Equipe that he would like to join an England team, specifically Liverpool.

Cisse Quote from L'Equipe: "What's sure is I'd like to go to Liverpool."

I reckon Hou should go for it, he's proven talent and would make a great impact on the team - so long as it doesn't cost him too much. We still need money for a winger such as Duff or Kewell.
    It would also ensure Heskey's immenent departure.

I'd say Cisse will join the Pool this summer. The question is for how much, if it means squandering the opportunity to get a creative player into the middle along Stevie G and to get a winger then I would have my reservations. But if he gets him and can get Finnan, a winger and a creative IM I will applaud GH for a good shopping spree and bet on Liverpool to finish in the top three next season.

yeah I would totally agree with that mate, well said!
    Hopefully we will get the players we need so we can challenge for the premiership title.
    I fancy Liverpool to win the UEFA Cup aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 eric_the_head

I'm afraid you're living in cloud cuckoo land. As long as Houllier is in charge Liverpool will do sod all. :mad:

Originally posted by eric_the_head
    I'm afraid you're living in cloud cuckoo land. As long as Houllier is in charge Liverpool will do sod all. :mad:
    I disagree. If you throw enough sh-it at something some of it is going to stick. So far he has bought a lot of really crap players, so something is about to start working properly (is that how it works? I'm sitting in work drunk and smiling to myself so my grasp of "how things work" is limited at the moment):).

What is worrying is that potentially (haven't decided yet, so long ago) I read reports yesterday saying that Hou wants to stick by Heskey. That could be Houllier saying "I like Heskey, fantastic player, your in my long term plans", which given his large blindspot is quite likely, or alternatively it could be Houlliers clever way of saying "I'm bored, I'm going to buy 3 strikers in the next week but never forget that I did say I liked you".

It could also be a ploy to sweeten potential buyers. There are a few clubs interested in Heskey and with GH so interested in Cisse I say one striker has to leave. The exact words I read were "Emile is everything you need in a striker". Now with 5 goals this season either the man is completely off his rocker or he is advertising him. I reckon it's the latter.

I agree with Steve there. I think that Liverpool can win the UEFA cup if they get a decent run going. Only real challengers are Roma and maybe the CL drop outs.

Oh no this does not sound good at all.

ManYoo are rumoured to be ready to snatch Finnan from under GH's nose

Has Finnan ever made any statements about who he would prefer to go to? He is more likely to get his game at Liverpool, those Nevilles would be hard to move from the fullback slots (Whats that all about - they're crap?)

• Advertisement

Otsemobor has signed a new contract - thats great news, isn't it?

Yeah he's a very promising player both at right full and in a central role.

But still I'd like to see Finnan come in. The deal with Liverpool is said to be set in stone (medical passed and terms agreed) but they have to wait til Sunday before the transfer window opens.

Jaysus I hope GH gets him:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

He is more likely to get his game at Liverpool, those Nevilles would be hard to move from the fullback slots (Whats that all about - they're crap?)

What the hell? The Nevilles are not crap.

Ahahahahaha. Ahaha. Ahahahahahahahahaha.

Sorry, too funny. Excuse me.

Bruno Cheyrou is being lined up for a return to France with Paris St.Germain less than a year after joining Liverpool from Lille in a £5.2m deal.
    Houllier admits he cannot afford his main two summer targets Duff and Cisse without spending and Cheyrou might be one to go along with Heskey.
    There is talk of Arsenal to make a bid for Harry Kewell plus Ray Parlour as part of the player-cash deal.
    Meanwhile Houllier is in France to watch the French Cup Final between Auxerre and PSG.
    All the above were stories in the Irish Daily Star today Saturday 31st May.
    Will Manchester United nip in and sign Steve Finnan?
    It could be an interesting few weeks of transfers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Read that finnan is a definitely on his way to liverpool despite interest from utd, as he has already set his heart on liverpool.
    Towards the end of this page

Read in some paper today that Cisse is as good as liverpool player, and that the deal should be wrapped up by thursday for €8m with further €4m pending on his success at liverpool.

Also Hamman could be on his way out to put some additional money in the coffers

• Advertisement

I read, and no word of this is a lie, that Cisse spent the night with Gerard Houllier last Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

well thats what happens when two very attractive men meet

Cisse said he wants to leave Auxerre and has his sights set on Anfield after he scored in Auxerre's 2-1 win against PSG in French Cup Final!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

are you all mad?

we wont get any stars cause of our (and by that i mean GH) failure to qualify for the champo league. Get rid of diomede, Traore (winner or the "most likely to play bambi on ice award" 2003) ,smicer and hamman, and get finnan (whom i hear has already passed a medical!!) Kewell and Duff (not a hope in hell)

Manure are gonna clean up this summer with the transfers cause we can only spend €25 and Arsenal are broke cause of the new stadium.

Cisse is going nowhere according to teletext on ITV, he's staying at Auxerre for another season...

http://adsintl.starwave.com/html.ng/site=soccernet.espn.go.com&cc=eu&sec=england&pt=headlinenews&cl=auxerre&adsize=120x600&transactionID=9113854456392477

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement