Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who should liverpool buy??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

David Mannix has signed a professional cotract to keep him until 2005 which is a good sign. At least they are still keeping an eye on the youngsters. Now if only Partridge got a chance on that right wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

As far as youth is concerned we "should" be in safe hands with GH, the argument regarding his merits as the first team coach are endless. Remembering he is one of the main people behind the developement of a lot of Frances' WC winning talent we should be in safe hands as regards youth developement.

That is of course depending on how much involvement he is taking in that part of the club.

I think more of the young stars that are shining in the reserves should be given a better chance liek in the Worthington Cup and FA Cup. Who knows maybe a few of them (like Mellor) only need 1 or 2 chances to permantely fight for a first team place. Look at the likes of Man Utd who have mastered the squad rotation system.

Agreed, I don't think we are very good at blooding new players. My point was more that the actual developement of the players should be quite strong at the moment. This of course is useless if they are left to rot or if they are made to feel they will never get into the team thus giving a "why bother" feeling.

Definitely the worth nothing cup and the FA cup should be given over to the youths. Sir Alco got a bit of stick for doing that a few years ago but he has now paved the way for what Liverpool should now be copying.

Fair enough the FA Cup and W Cup are often our only chance of silverware but we should be aiming higher. Leave the squad fresher for Europe and the League.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Totally agree with ye there p.pete. Maybe not the FA Cup but we should definitely be allowed play our reserve side in the Worthless Cup. If the top Prem clubs (the clubs in European competition) used their reserve/youth players then the likes of Mark Kennedy, David Thompson, Stephen Wright etc might have had a better chance at Liverpool. Maybe.

• Advertisement

According to the speculation on Liverpool's website, talks with Blackburn officials will begin today but Souness will not be part of them. And also GH is still in France still talking about Cisse.

Originally posted by jonno
    According to the speculation on Liverpool's website, talks with Blackburn officials will begin today but Souness will not be part of them. And also GH is still in France still talking about Cisse.
    I think the Duff deal will be purely financial at this stage, so there is no real need for the managers at the moment. Pool officials know Duff is wanted and Blackburn officials know Souness wants to keep him. Hopefully we have enough money to prise him away.

Do you know is GH in France on holiday or is he talking with Roux? Cisse seems resigned to staying at the moment but I would reckon he has been advised not to talk about it lest he is forced to stay another year or two and ends up getting snubbed by fans and teammates alike.

According to the reports he is out there still trying to persuade Roux on letting go off Cisse. He is obviously determined to get him. Cisse said that he was resigned to stay because Roux wouldn't let him leave and that was the only reason. Also Boumsong has failed to give anythign away about his future. He said he has spoken to Marsellies and Liverpool. Roux also said that he wouldn't let him go. Blackburn have also started to show an interest in him.

Now what I'm thinking is that Blackburn have been linked with Boumsong, Amoruso, Phillps and another keeper. The only player said to be leaving is Dunn. One would begin to anticipate a Duff departure too, because the chairman said that they would have to sell players if they were to bring new ones in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

"who should Liverpool buy??"

the entire man utd team??

:rolleyes: .... :p

Originally posted by Morphéus
    "who should Liverpool buy??"

the entire man utd team??

:rolleyes: .... :p
    Pool are on a budget but they're not that badly off:D

Suppose we could spend the leftover cash on protection money for the Nevilles

• Advertisement

No thank you I don't think I'd like that too much, although Scholes would be a nice buy however stupid it sounds.

Anyway, a few people were wondering why GH wasn't looking for a right sided midfielder. Well reports today are suggesting that the club are sizing up a 6million bid for Cristiano Ronaldo who can play both left and right midfield. He's another young player but one is highly regarded around Europe.

What do ye think?

Anybody hear anything of him?

£6million for an 18 year old? don't know too much about him but he must have some amount of skill. Apparently he ripped England appart in an under 20's match.

Sporting lisbon rated him at 10 million last year but the price dropped due to them not being in the CL.

If he is ready to come straight into the first team then it could be a good buy. Bringing him over to sit in the reserves "developing" for a year or two would be wasteful. He has also been watched by Utd and Valencia so there could be competition for him.

Remember what happenend with Hugo Viana. We looked certain to sign him then KABLAMO...Newcastle dived in and pinched him from under GH's eyes. Probly the same thing will happen with this Ronaldo lad.

Actually now that you mentioned it p.pete I remember seeing him play now. The under-20 or under-21 match against England. He did rip them to pieces in alot of different ways on the right wing. But then again that is only under age. Would he be able for the likes of Ashley Cole and John O' Shea in the left back positions.

I'm being apprehensive about it because I don;t want my hopes dashed:( I think he would be a good player and leave Diouf at what he does best and leave him for backup for the strikers. He has scored in the last 2 Senegal matches now and that was probably because he was played as an out and out striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

according to souness noone has bid for duff (not liverpool or utd)
    and reckons hes staying

im certain cisse isn't going, but he reckons one day he will

Souness may not necessarily be heavily involved in any dealings. There has been countless instances where managers have lost their best players without being consulted. I think Blackburn know better than that though.

Looks like Hakan Yakin is on his way to Athelico Madrid if some football sites are to be believed. The club have announced they have agreed terms.

And meanwhile the Liverpool boss is on holiday . . . . . . . . :(

BTW, Cristiano Ronaldo will be in action tonight for Portugal under-20 vs. Japan in the Toulon Tournament. Live on Eurosport at 6 o' clock.

I'm kinda getting worried that GH is gonna miss out on all his summer targets. Cissé and Boumsong look like staying with Auxerre. Yakin's going to Atletico madrid. Duff looks like he's staying with Blackburn (probably), Kewell is either going to Arsenal or staying with Leeds. And I read that GH is thinking of getting Jody Morris on a free transfer !!! WTF, if he's not good enough for the Chelsea bench then he's certainly not good enough to be in our squad. We have enough rejects as it is thankyou very much.

What the hell is going on ??? :mad:

Yeah, all the talk at the start of pre season was of bringing in 2 r 3 experienced players ready to fit into the team. At the moment it seems all we are likely to get is young players and defensive players. No disrespect to Finnan, great signing and will hopefully be a big improvement in that area but what we need is good attacking options.

GH get the finger out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

There should be movement on the transfer market within the week regarding Duff.Liverpool need him badly.And i pray we land him:) :)

• Advertisement

Hopefully Duff would welcome the opportunity to pal up with Finnan at Liverpool. Also the left side of the pitch would be damn good with Riise and Duff. The only problem, if we do get him is that GH has a high probability of playing him out of position.

In addition, if scum have just sold posh to Madrid they will have money in the kitty and will be wanting a decent midfielder.

GH likes buying things in two's, my prediction: Duff and Ronaldo (the portugese one) within the next month.

I saw some of the U21's game between Portugal and Japan yesterday. Yer man Ronaldo (no. 7) looked pretty handy I thought. Obviously if he's highly rated then half of Europe will be trying to sign him. I think United might get him, their assistant Carlos Quiroz being Portugese, probably knows all about yer man and would have more of an influence than GH and his band of muppets.

A lot of the stories yesterday reporting on Liverpool missing out on Yakin mention a few other targets. Hamburg's Iranian winger Mehdi Mahdavikia, Udinese's Chilian star David Pizarro and Inter Milan's France international midfielder Stephane Dalmat.

Are any of these players actual targets (equally important, are any of them any good)? The rumour mill is getting a bit ridiculous at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Originally posted by p.pete
    Hopefully Duff would welcome the opportunity to pal up with Finnan at Liverpool.

apparently he's not interested

In addition, if scum have just sold posh to Madrid they will have money in the kitty and will be wanting a decent midfielder.

lol, they didn't get as much for him as they expected :p, but i heard on the radio that money is going into the business aspect of united, not buying players

GH likes buying things in two's, my prediction: Duff and Ronaldo (the portugese one) within the next month.
    he bought finnan alone ;)

Originally posted by eyerer
    Hopefully Duff would welcome the opportunity to pal up with Finnan at Liverpool. Also the left side of the pitch would be damn good with Riise and Duff. The only problem, if we do get him is that GH has a high probability of playing him out of position.

apparently he's not interested

lol, they didn't get as much for him as they expected , but i heard on the radio that money is going into the business aspect of united, not buying players

he bought finnan alone
    Don't think I said all that? did I? Why did you misquote me without adding any input of your own?

Yes he bought Finnan alone but previous examples have been 2 goalkeepers and also 2 Senegalese players. Plus I stand by my prediction of Duff and Ronaldo.

Seems that Basle have had no bids for Yakin yet. His agent siad today that it was his bad English was misunderstood and that newpapers picked up on it. Seems he's still there for the taking.

I reckon July will be a big month for Liverpool.

Yer right there Jonno. Nobody in Liverpool is gonna reveal definite signings until the pre-season, which is about 2 weeks away! They don't wanna be paying guys while there soaking it up in de sun. It'll all come out in July...hopefully. I'd love to know what GH is doing at the moment. Working hard? Hmm, debatable...

I'm looking forward to when the football starts, till then the latest name linked with us is Samuel Eto'o.

I'm not sure this one has any basis other than he has mentioned Liverpool and that he would like to go. I'd say he is potentially a good signing but like what has already been posted, we'll probably be waiting another while for some concrete answers.

Yeah I read that on teletext today. Apparently GH put in a £5m bid for Eto'o. Alledgedly. He said he'd love to come to Anfield and show the fans his skillz...reminds me of a certain Diouf person.

• Advertisement

Ahhhh!, sure if you add up the value of all our aleged bids, sure, we could buy Newcastle;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

liverpool should buy a new manager who doesnt play all of his players of their natural positions, and possible 2 creative midfielders.

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    liverpool should buy a new manager who doesnt play all of his players of their natural positions, and possible 2 creative midfielders.
    I've missed your erudite opinions.

I've missed your erudite opinions.

maybe, but lets face it, houllier has a habit of buying fantastic players, and then putting them in positions that they were famous for.
    er diouf as a winger?

and i think anyone who watched liverpool play last year willa gree they have missed a good playmaker in the centre of the park. the last time they had someone there was mcallister.
    and no, i dont think either murphy or carragher are quality playmakers.
    i think they are both quality players, but not playmakers.

although, of course, this is all my opinion, and im sure you have a better football head than me, making all my points completely invalid.
    or, you could look at them and see what you think.
    but sure why would you, its easier to just dismiss them.
    as usual.

I think I would prefer Cisse to Eto'o. I'm not knoking him or anything, I've seen him score some amazing goals but I would definately go for Cisse ahead of him. He would give us alot of height in the box as well.

WWM you are right about GH needing to bring in a creative midfielder but that's a well known fact. Teh only worrying thing about it all is we have only been consistantly linked to one such player and that was Hakin Yakin; who now seems certain to stay at Basle as the Celtic deal fell through. Maybe GH can reignite the deal again.

Originally posted by jonno

WWM you are right about GH needing to bring in a creative midfielder but that's a well known fact. Teh only worrying thing about it all is we have only been consistantly linked to one such player and that was Hakin Yakin; who now seems certain to stay at Basle as the Celtic deal fell through. Maybe GH can reignite the deal again.

i dont think veron would be too far from the sort of player you want.

alex fergeson has made a meal out of him by playing him either in the wings or as some sort of holding player, when he is absolutely fantastic in a free flowing creative role.
    after all, thats why he was bought (but sadly not used)

• Advertisement

Sorry WWM, didn't mean to be dismissive. Normally I try to call it as I see it (I'm sure you do too, "You're entitled to be wrong" to paraphrase Roy Keane) - I know I'm biased towards Liverpool but you would be surprised how many Pool fans have doubts about GH. I still back him but I have doubts and I think there is a lot of things that he could do better (having said that, there is a lot of things I would do worse).

2 creative midfielders could be excessive, we are crying out for 1 but I would like to think an injury free Partridge might make an impression as well.

As for playing Djiouf on the right - probably not his best position but he is young and seems to have the ability to learn. He started the season badly but actually seemed to be making the position his own towards the end. Maybe a little more improvement and we may just keep him there - he certainly is never going to be Owens' strike partner (imo).

A better example of players being played out of position is Heskey on the left, or even Heskey up front. His best position is clearly in the heart of the Spurs defence alongside Doherty.

As for Veron, he wants to move to Italy - he's too good a player for Ferguson to sell him to Pool also (look what happened when we tried to sign Paul McGrath). Besides GH wouldn't play him in any better a position than Ferguson has done - think he's just wasted in the North of England, he would probably be a good buy for Chelsea or Arsenal maybe?

2 creative midfielders could be excessive, we are crying out for 1 but I would like to think an injury free Partridge might make an impression as well.

my thinking is if houllier wants to play squad rotation, nothing else.
    one decent midfielder would do you to be honest.
    As for playing Djiouf on the right - probably not his best position but he is young and seems to have the ability to learn. He started the season badly but actually seemed to be making the position his own towards the end. Maybe a little more improvement and we may just keep him there - he certainly is never going to be Owens' strike partner (imo).

diouf was only an example. i think you have a number of players who are played out of position. i dont see the point in paying a wedge of cash for a talented player only to then misuse them, regardless of how well they start to perform after a season, the smple fact is, that what you have there is bad management. surely you buy the players that you need for the positions you need, not the players you like for whatever position is vacant.
    makes for very expensive utility men otherwise....
    A better example of players being played out of position is Heskey on the left, or even Heskey up front. His best position is clearly in the heart of the Spurs defence alongside Doherty.

i think we have far better and cheaper donkeys of our own thanks very much!
    As for Veron, he wants to move to Italy - he's too good a player for Ferguson to sell him to Pool also (look what happened when we tried to sign Paul McGrath). Besides GH wouldn't play him in any better a position than Ferguson has done - think he's just wasted in the North of England, he would probably be a good buy for Chelsea or Arsenal maybe?

again, veron was an example of the type of player that i think would fit well intot he liverpool squad,i wasnt making the suggestion houlier should buy him :)

by the way, for what its worth, i think hes too talented to fit into 99% of enlgish clubs, and i dont think either arsenals or chelseas styles, or the players in those clubs suit him.

I love these arguments where we both say basicaly the same thing yet still manage to step on each others toes enough to keep the argument going.
    my thinking is if houllier wants to play squad rotation, nothing else.
    one decent midfielder would do you to be honest.
    Good point - he loves his squad rotation - think he went at least 2 years without playing the same starting 11 in consecutive league games (does anyone know for sure? would be interested).

diouf was only an example. i think you have a number of players who are played out of position. i dont see the point in paying a wedge of cash for a talented player only to then misuse them, regardless of how well they start to perform after a season, the smple fact is, that what you have there is bad management. surely you buy the players that you need for the positions you need, not the players you like for whatever position is vacant.
    makes for very expensive utility men otherwise....
    Agreed, it's bad management but it's also common practice among a lot of managers so GH deserves to be criticised for this but so do a lot of others. Maybe he has more money than sense a lot of the time - we paid too much for Heskey, he never lived up to expectations in lots of positions, not just on the left. He doesn't score when up front, he doesn't link up when playing off the front - he generally plays his best games for England which really buts me.

i think we have far better and cheaper donkeys of our own thanks very much!
    We're open to offers. Anglo European relations are already at a low enough ebb without us packing him off to foreign lands at an inflated price.

again, veron was an example of the type of player that i think would fit well intot he liverpool squad,i wasnt making the suggestion houlier should buy him :)
    I think he would fit in like chalk does with cheese, our opinions on this aren't bothering with though. Also, if you want to use an example am I not allowed to critique the use of that example?

by the way, for what its worth, i think hes too talented to fit into 99% of enlgish clubs, and i dont think either arsenals or chelseas styles, or the players in those clubs suit him.
    I'd love to know who the 1% is - we've already ruled him out of fitting in with Chelsea and Arsenal. It's obvious he hasn't fitted in with united - "veron was an example of the type of player that i think would fit well intot he liverpool squad" are Liverpool the 1% that have the skill levels for him to fit into? is that a really a compliment for Liverpool from WWMww)

i have no problem with you criticising veron playing in a liverpool team, it was just an example of a team where a talented player could go, i could have said zedane :)

(go on, tell me you wouldnt take him! :))

i think veron plays exceptionally well at utd when he is played int he centre and is left to his own devices. when keane was out for months, and i think either butt or schols was out he played veron and (either the other one between butt and schols) and i thought he was marvelous.
    utd play a lovely fluid game that suit him, and he is surrounded by very classy players (with the exception of the neville planks, those two getting intot the team i will never ever understand!)
    arsenal i think play an overly atting game, and i dont think they are subtle enough for them (no disrespect to arsenal, i think they should have won the league) chelsea are far too up their own arse. they cant decide if they are a team of genii, or a team of over paid drama queens and they are far too inconsistant over the years. besides, they finally havea d ecent season, and it appears half the team now want to bugger off. besides i really hate frank le-puff and chelsea in general :)
    i dont think newcastle have the team for the CL, and yet the continue to surprise me. although i do rate bobby robson as one of the best managers in the business in the UK. they tend to churn out results. like leiscter of old, except with alan shearer :)
    and then there is liverpool. probably for most people the most disappointing team in the last 5 years. promised so much, bet utd on so many occasions and let themselves down. the chelsea of the north. houlier loves to play the fast paced counter attacking game. with him it appears speed and stamina and hard work are everything and skill and subtlety are second thoughts.
    all his buys have been about power and pace, and now everyone has kopped onto the fact that thats how liverpool play.

but i have rambled. actually, its just an excuse to not do any work for 5 minutes :)

I'm amazed, I agree with almost everything you said WWM:) (except about the Nevilles being called planks:D )

I would rate Chelsea slightly higher than you would I think - I agree that they have been inconsistant for years and definitely up their own asses (and they have hiked up their match tickets for away supporters once again, tut tut).

I rate Ranieri very highly though and provided they don't lose all their team they may actually build on last season. This doesn't bode well for Liverpool because I think they should be above Newcastle but like you say, they continue to surprise.

• Advertisement

Read this mornign that Real Zaragosa are looking to bring Milan Baros to their team on a 1 year loan deal with the hope of signing him for 18millionEURO next year. Hope that doesn't happen. Give them Heskey or Diouf.

Lots of rumours;)
    I'm just after reading that Raul is pissed off with how things have been handled recently, Del Bosco and Hierro being kicked out.

Anyway, apparently Raul was told that he can go if anyone will pay even half his buyout clause and they'll just replace him with Michael Owen. They really know how to get along over there (the Spanish equivalent of boards must be interesting!)

I'm amazed, I agree with almost everything you said WWM:) (except about the Nevilles being called planks:D )

yay!

its official!

i do know something about football.

although, i will have to beat you within an inch of your miserable life for not agreeing that the neville brothers are not planks.
    unless you are calling them donkeys....

Maybe I was being sarcastic - or maybe, just maybe, I think the Nevilles are international quality footballers.

Actually I think united are both cursed and blessed to have both Nevilles. It's obvious that they're lucky to have such high quality players. The problem stems from the fact that both have the same best position and Sir Alex Ferguson has to juggle them about to accomodate them in the same team.

Another great thing about the Nevilles is the improvement that they bring to the levels of friendliness between Liverpool and Manchester United fans (yes, I used to call them scum, but the Nevilles give me positive feelings about them).

It would be cool if one of them could sign for Liverpool - it would help us bridge the uncatchable gap in the quality of football between the two teams. Alex, if your listening (reading), I know you don't want this gap to be bridged but we will offer you Finnan plus cash in return.

Damn, I'm still drunk:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

It would be cool if one of them could sign for Liverpool - it would help us bridge the uncatchable gap in the quality of football between the two teams. Alex, if your listening (reading), I know you don't want this gap to be bridged but we will offer you Finnan plus cash in return.

Damn, I'm still drunk:D

You must be still Drunk .... either that or you're the only liverpool fan in the world who would want to see either of the neville sisters at Anfield ... come on they are muck and would not be welcome at liverpool IMO

From http://www.liverpoolfc.tv
    Liverpool are reported to have agreed terms with Swiss defender Armand Buhler.

The 18-year-old Lausanne defender had a successful trial with Liverpool in February and has signed a five-year deal with the club.

He will join FC Aarau on loan next season, before moving to Anfield next year.

hmmmm another player I never heard of:(

Anybody?????

I'm guessing this guy Armund would be a reserve player who will develope into defensive cover - unless he is really highly rated.

I've never heard of him, off to google for me to see how he matches up against the likes of the Nevilles.

I neever heard of him either but I think he was in the Swiss team that won the U17's European Championships. Or was it U19's ? I forget. Him and Senderos (the defender Arsenal got ahead of Pool, Real, Man U etc) were centrebacks afaik.

This thread now has more replies than any other in the soccer forum, does shinzon.com deserve a prize for starting it?

Well done that man:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sorry for dragging this from the depths but I saw the following on www.bbc.co.uk/sport
    Highly-rated Auxerre striker Djibril Cisse has reiterated his desire to join Liverpool, despite reported interest from Manchester United.

Cisse has long been linked with a move to Anfield and now says he is almost certain to move in the summer.

"I still intend to sign for Liverpool. It has always been very precise with them," he told the Daily Star.

"There has been no direct contact with United, but I am already advanced with Liverpool and they are my priority."

Liverpool have failed to mount a serious title challenge this season, leading to increased speculation about the future of manager Gerard Houllier.

However, Cisse insisted his decision would not be affected by any managerial change at Anfield.

"We all know where we are because we have been talking for a long time," he said.

"I still want to go to Liverpool. Gerard Houllier's position make no difference.

"If I leave at the end of the season it will be for Liverpool and not another club."

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is known to be on the look-out for a striker to act as back-up to Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Cisse's French compatriot Louis Saha and Leeds marksman Mark Viduka have also been linked with a move to Old Trafford.

:)

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement