Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fool Newbie - FTV Cards ?

• 28-04-2003 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi there
    Just came across this site. I have sky since it came out (digital) and i didn't we (ROI) could get bbc,itv,ch4 fta here. I knew that if u had a uk address..maybe u could. Anyway,anyway, where can i get one of these? I would love to get itv,ch4. I've got these in the "other channels" but they say "08 not availble". What is a sub-card? Can someone put a bit of light on the matter for me. I presume you still need a card even though whats happening may 1

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Hi alir123 and welcome to the boards.

A "sub card" is a card issued to someone who subscribes to Sky's services (ie most satellite viewers in Ireland and the UK).

An "FTA" (or more properly a Free To View - FTV) card is one that is issued to someone in the UK who has a Sky satellite setup but does not want to subscribe to Sky's services. These UK viewers are still entitled to watch their terrestrial services on satellite, so they have to be provided with a card which allows them to do so.

Unfortunately no such facility was put in place for the reception of the Irish channels, so if you want to see them on satellite you currently have to subscribe to Sky.

Some UK FTV cards have made their way across the sea and have been paired with Irish boxes. This meant that an Irish viewer could see ITV, Channel 4, 5 and the extra BBC channels by switching their sub card with their FTA card.

It seems that the new sub cards that are being issued might prevent the possibility of this card swap method (at least swapping a new sub card withh an old FTV card).

Another possibility is buying a second Digibox and getting an FTV card paired with it, thus avoiding the "switching cards" problem. It's a bit expensive however.

With the BBC going completely free to air at the end of May, all the BBC channels should at least be available on the "Other Channels" option on the digibox.

Then we just have to wait and see if ITV etc follow suit, or do a deal to make their stations available to viewers in Ireland.

Hope this is not too confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 alir123

Not at all. thanks for ur info.

Regards

P.S. Will u still need a fta card for itv,ch4 after may 1st so.
    Will I have BBC1 & BBC2 on the "Other Channels" lists Thursday?

thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

The BBC will not go 'in the clear' until May 31st (noy May 1st, as your post suggest).

You would still need a card to view ITV/C4/five. They may go free eventually, but ITV (at least) are contracted up to 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

I am currently IN the BBC handling just such calls.

Yup in the clear 30th of May.

If you want a card phone 0870 243 8000 and get it posted to some one in the north ill do it for you if you want one.

Also ITV C5 and C4 havent yet decided what they are doing on the 30th of may.

Any other questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 alir123

other questions?[/QUOTE]

Will I also need an english digibox to view itv,ch4 ?
    Any

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Any other questions?
    Where do I start Wolf?
    Firstly, are BBC scrapping the FTV card scheme after May 31st.
    Secondly, If so, will Sky be switching off all FTV cards?
    If the answer is Yes, when will this happen?.
    If the answer is No, Will the same apply to old type FTV cards?
    If you don't know, are you in a position to ask someone who does?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Also ITV C5 and C4 havent yet decided what they are doing on the 30th of may.

Aha, so they could as yet go FTA...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

UK wolf,
    if you really do work for the BBC as you say,
    then can you tell me what the attiude is in the office towards non uk people using the cards?.

Are the people working there well aware of calls coming in from ROI, France etc.?, and do the staff share jokes about the likes of me ringing in a fake english accent with my ROI telephone number clearly unblocked.
    It seems to me like most of you turn a blind eye to it.

And, to Carrolls, i 100% believe that the FTV cards are not part of the update.
    In many articles they are clearly referred to as a Solus card.
    Now i dont know the technical details about this but,
    i think the actual chip used for a subscription card or indeed a cancelled subscription card(now acting as an FTV) is different then the one used on "Pure" cards.
    These wont be updated or changed, i frimly believe.

After all, in all the forums you visit, have you ever heard of anyone at all getting a replacement FTV card sent to them in plain envelope ala the subscription cards.

BTW, got my replacement card only today.
    I have also secured a P2 FTV card in the eventuality that it will be needed, but have no plans to use it if its not needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

Originally posted by alir123
    Hi there
    Just came across this site. I have sky since it came out (digital) and i didn't we (ROI) could get bbc,itv,ch4 fta here. I knew that if u had a uk address..maybe u could. Anyway,anyway, where can i get one of these? I would love to get itv,ch4. I've got these in the "other channels" but they say "08 not availble". What is a sub-card? Can someone put a bit of light on the matter for me. I presume you still need a card even though whats happening may 1

Thanks for any advice.

If you have any other questions you can check the FAQ THREAD for anything else you need

Advertisement