Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN, ADSL or neither????

Options
  • 28-04-2003 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

hey guys, i need your advice. i've been trying to get broadband for the last two months but i've finally given up. at the mo i'm on IOL Nolimits, i'm a pretty heavy user, anythin between 4 and 10 hrs an evening downloading. i'm trying to figure out if it's a good idea or not to go for ISDN, so heres a little info and any advice would be appricated

*IOL broadband is just in my budget but cap is way too restricitve for me

*Netsource (Via) is perfect but outside my budget

*Eircom is a no go obviously

*Just outside coverage of all Wireless ISP's

here come the questions:
    1)im on IOL Nolimits at the mo, if i get ISDN can i stay on No Limits?

2)Is it pointless to go for ISDN, should i just be more patient and wait for another broadband option to come along?

3)roughly how much is it to set up an ISDN line, and is eircom my only option to get one installed?

thanx for your time

brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Nah don't bother with isdn. It's only good for gaming really its not worth the extra E20 or whatever a month just for downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You could look at it this way Brian - even with a 4gig cap, it's only just less than you'd be able to download if you spent 14 hours a night and all weekend downloading stuff using NoLimits on 56k.

Still more than I'm prepared to pay tbh.

Apparently, Esat don't officially support NoLimits on ISDN, though most people seem to have reported that it works fine for them. Having said that, for the little extra bandwidth you'll get, I wouldn't think it's worth the extra money you'll be paying for it. For the extra money you might as well go for the IOL BB option (or just stay the way you are until prices come down by 10-15 euros a month). All IMHO obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

4 - 10 hours a night downloading!? ah you owe it to yourself Brian, get netsource and just try to find the extra 17 a month from someone or somewhere! call in xmas gifts, birthday presents, anything at all!

you need uncapped broadband!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

you might want to consider UTVip, they're rolling out a 24-7 flat rate dial-up (incl. single channel ISDN) in June ( search for FRIACO + UTV on the boards for their announcement(s) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

[SMART_ARSE]
    you might want to consider UTVip, they're rolling out a 24-7 flat rate dial-up (incl. single channel ISDN) in June ( search for FRIACO + UTV on the boards for their announcement(s) )
    The search term you specified (utv) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.

[/SMART_ARSE];)

tribble

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

[homer]
    DOH
    [/homer]

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭brian_ire

thanx guys for replying, i think im just gonna sit tight and wait. hopefelly some young entrepenuer will stick a mast up on kiliney hill and i'll be sorted but till then its come on 56k modem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Originally posted by tribble
    [SMART_ARSE]
    The search term you specified (utv) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.
    [/SMART_ARSE];)
    tribble

Search for "UTV*" adding the * as a wildcard to the end of your search makes it 4 characters and allows the search to go ahead.

/Pimpeh

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by brian_ire
    thanx guys for replying, i think im just gonna sit tight and wait. hopefelly some young entrepenuer will stick a mast up on kiliney hill and i'll be sorted but till then its come on 56k modem

or ... ask your neighbours if they want to wirelessly share a connection from netsource ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

I'm starting to think netsource should introduce a cap of about 15gb on their dsl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lanky

Hi,
    ISDN, is the biggest load of rubbish, its completely outdatied at this stage
    I think get a broadband connection and share with a neighbour or something using a wireless gateway.........
    heres a few broaband options:

http://www.finder.ie/Internet/Broadband/index.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

esp. http://www.irishwan.org/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=738&perpage=15&highlight=dalkey&pagenumber=1

Note: re "some young entrepenuer will stick a mast up on kiliney hill and i'll be sorted " Actually that should read Screweeed 'cos it will be at commercial rates. :(

But if you help out then there is a chance you'd be part of the group that setup the mast at cost with intenet sharing at cost.

PS. Sharing high contention ratio BB with a download cap is one thing - Unmetered FTP from a local server is just so nice ;)

Advertisement