Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

albums charts

Options
  • 29-04-2003 12:38am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭

<.START_RANT.>Does any one know how the Irish albums charts are so fecked up? And no I’m not talking about the all of the pop and boy bands stuff.

This week out of no where two of The Frames albums Fitzcarraldo and Dance The Devil turn up at 27 and 50. Very strange???

God only know how long David Gray has being in the charts. Will everyone in Ireland just buy his albums and get over it.

If you look outside the mix of good and s*** in the top 20, the charts look ok. <.END_RANT.>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

the frames have a new album on the way pretty shortly afaik.. perhaps news of that has driven sales of the those previous albums up.
    Are the album charts online anywhere? wouldn't mind seeing if I actually own any of the albums in the top 50 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

Well, as far as I know it takes just 200/300 albums sold to enter the Irish charts, right...?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Kali
    Are the album charts online anywhere? wouldn't mind seeing if I actually own any of the albums in the top 50 :)

Here... http://www.charttrack.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

I think I read somewhere that the average album needs to sell 5000 in a week to be number 1.
    As for the top 75 list I have The Stadium Techno Experience(Scooter)Get Rich or Die Tryin(50 cent)and The Eminem Show(Eminem,obviously enough:D )The majority of the remainder wouldnt interest me at all.

Albums seem to be able to hang around the charts in Ireland for donkeys years after their release.Nothing wrong with buying an album which has been out a while(particularly regarding rap,seeing as much of the best is from the early 90s)but how the feck is Eminem still in the top 20-that album is nearly a year old by now.And the Strokes are still hanging in there,and AFAIK their album has been out even longer.You would think that anybody interested in the artists would buy the record within a few months of its release.Alright,sometimes if it is a CD which I am not sure will be really excellent I will wait maybe for a few months for it to come down to a more reasonable price in the event that it sucks arse,but I cant believe that albums that are maybe approaching 2 years old are still selling in substantial numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Gav Ol Son

The Irish charts are depressing. I like when bands like Radiohead or The White Stripes make it to number one, and save our souls. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Sure White Ladder was in the top 3 for over a year or something stupid like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Its embarassing when the Now complilations get to number 1.

I think albums like The Strokes' are still in the charts, because a lot of the high street shops have big clearance sales, and that prolongs their chart positions.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Originally posted by Makaveli
    Sure White Ladder was in the top 3 for over a year or something stupid like that.

It's often overlooked that Mary Harney passed a law in the late nineties requiring all households in Ireland to have at least 2 copies of the White Ladder.

Advertisement