Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fix cd rom drives

• 29-04-2003 12:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Does any1 know a place that fix laptop cd rom drives as mine has just given up:( Or is there no hope for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭davemc

Logistic.....what exactly are the symtoms??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

The drive will sometimes read cds but most of the time it doesnt. The disks will spin but it sounds like the lazer is having a hard time reading the cd. Its like it keeps searching for it. Ive tried different cds but still no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Logistic have you tried pushing the head of the drive to either edge
    Some times it forgets where to start and gets its knickers in a twist frantically going back and forth for a few mins before telling you it can't read it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Originally posted by deckie27
    have you tried pushing the head of the drive to either edge
    eh? how do you mean? or what do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Ive tried from every angle i can think of. I got a loan of a cd rom drive and that works.
    As i said above does any1 know of a place that fixes cd rom drives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

did you try cleaning the heads with a cd cleaner?usually works!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

woolymammoth

This cd-rom drive is on a laptop which has the reading head exposed

logistic

No sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭davemc

Logistic...

Firstly it deffinately seems to be hardware related...In terms of servicing or repairing the one piece of information we really need here is the brand of laptop....you can still go back to them and get it repaired (at a price)....I myself have a thinkpad which went out of warranty recently and I had reason to call their service line...they stayed on the phone for 20mins discussing the options available to me .... Different manufacturers give different levels of support and after sales service....at the very least your laptop is repairable but if cost is a major issue, a mate with an electronics knack and general knowledge is probably going to be your only option......Also I'm now assuming that the cdrom drive is fixed internal as opposed to for example mine internal removeable....If you do send it back it will more than likely be replaced rather than repaired....but you could get an estimate for the part before you even send it in......another option is Ebay as you'll probably pick the part up there relatively cheaply...but this will need to be fitted by someone...maybe someone here on boards could do that for you.....either way personally I feel that you can in this situation 'cut your cloth according to your measure' .....These I feel are all the options open to you......regards...

Advertisement