Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resolution help

Options
  • 29-04-2003 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

resolution!

I designed a site and because of the resolution thing is hiding things from people with a different resolution.

Is there a way that means that say you come onto my site and I detect you have a different setting to me that I could tell you that and give you a link to click on that will change your settings to suit the best viewing of my website???

How would this be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

you can use javascripts or vb scripts to do this, all freely available on the interweb, a gogle should return plenty or results.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭kegan5

Is there any way to tell what I should tell the viewers what settings to change to?

I think its 1024 X 768 but not sure, I have put in a message to tell users to change their resolution but I dont think its correct for my site.

http://www13.brinkster.com/kegan5

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

viewers shouldn't have to change their settings - it is your job as the designer to ensure that your site works on their screen - not the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

The majority of peoples monitors still cant display that high a resolution.

You have a few options.

2 or 3 different versions of your site optamized for the most common resolutions and a script to redirect the user.

A stretchy design. Html that will expand and contract with the resolution. Good design skills needed here.

A design that will degrade gracefully. This means that for smaler resolutions the part that is cut off is of lesser importance and the design still looks good.

Or a flash design that will automaticly scale to 100% of the resolution.

All options take thought, planning and skill im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

Just had a look at that site. There is no reason why you shouldn't change the width of the div's to %, in fact, it looks fairly sparse with all that white space on a larger resolution. Typical screen resolution would be 800*600.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Id agree with petard here, it looks from the code that your using dreamweaver but i could be wrong.
    Try changing the widths to a max of 800.
    Normally what i do is set the page up to work on a 800 * 600 resolution and then do the tables and art work in such a way that it spreads across the screen if the resolution is higher.
    As a suggestion try changing the width of the layer on the left to say 200 and the main part on the right to 550. you have flash at the top as well but that doesnt seem to be affecting the over all with.

Ya basically have to mess around until ya learn the techniques

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Originally posted by Figment
    The majority of peoples monitors still cant display that high a resolution.

more like won't, ya gotta love it when you see a grand spanking new system worth a few thousand and a great big fancy monitor and its stuck on 800*600.

Advertisement