Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murphy's Laws

Options
  • 29-04-2003 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

There are many many of these so I'll just start with the obivious and let others add as they see fit.

1) Murphy's Law:

Anything that can go wrong, Will.

and now my Fav (Well I am a Physics Geek)

2) Murphy's Law of Thermo Dynamics:

Things get worse under pressure.

:D

ok anyone know the others?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

3. Murphys Golden Rule:
    He who has the gold, makes the rules

4. Celibacy is not hereditary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The probability that a slice of buttered bread falls butterside down is pirectly proportional to the cost of the carpet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In the UK research has shown that the average slice of bread falling when pushed off the edge of a table of average height will turn approx 1 1/2 times when falling.

The soulution if you want to keep the table at a normal height is to use different size slices of bread (preferrably circular) - either about 50% smaller so they make two full twists or larger so they only twist once.

=========================
    The there laws of Thermodynamics:
    a) In a reaction you can never gain - the best you can do is break even.

b) you can only break even at absolute zero.

c) you can't reach absolute zero

=========================

Skinners Constant: The number when added to, multiplied by, subtracted from or divided into the answer you got gives you the answer you should have got.

"The experiment may be considered a success if no more than half the results have to be discarded to match the theroitical result."

Or. Very Old -

There was a boy who is no more
    For what he thought was H20
    Was really H2SO4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭EdBanger

Those are funny but their not quite Murphy's laws, more sience quips.

please does anyone know any other Murphy's Laws, I know there were loads of em but I can't rember them 8¬(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭bozzie

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong

Corollary: If there is a worse time for something to go wrong, it will happen then

If anything just cannot go wrong, it will anyway

if you perceive that there are four possible ways in which something can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way, unprepared for, will promptly develop

Corollary: It will be impossible to fix the fifth fault, without breaking the fix on one or more of the others

Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something

Nature always sides with the hidden flaw
    Corollary: The hidden flaw never stays hidden for long.

The Murphy Philosophy
    Smile . . . tomorrow will be worse

Murphy's Constant
    Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value
    'sall i can remember ....................................For now

• Advertisement
Advertisement