Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Internet Access

Options
  • 29-04-2003 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hi All,

I would like to get your opinions on Satellite Internet. I am Sales and Marketing manager for Web-Sat. The only Ireland and UK based HUB.

We are thinking of launching our services and unlimited packages here in Ireland.

Have any of you used Satellite Internet services? What has been you experiences with it?

Do you feel that it would be something you would be interested in.

If you have never used the service would you be interested in finding out more information?

Any general comments.

If you have questions or comments please e-mail me at info@web-sat.com

thanks for taking the time to to read this thread.

Regards,
    JM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I think in general any entry into the market palce is a good thing for the consumer, it looks like I will have to go with satellite due to my location, the only thing I have heard is that satellite web systems do not really suit on line gaming, but I have had no first time experience with it as yet !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

On-Line gaming will not be as good as Adsl. That's the simply reality of the situation.

Its about the Data capacity of each system. While Satellite Internet can have extremly fast downlink capability the uplink is the sticking point.

Gaming is possible but not recommended. Especially over a Lan using Satellite. As a single user at home its quite possible if you are on the right package.

JM

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I personally would be interested but cost is a major factor some companies are looking for over €2000 set-up charges this is crazy hopefully your company can bring a new light to the situation best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Its about the Data capacity of each system.

I thought it was due to the increased latency from having the packets travel to/from geostationary orbit. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Well, I'm a user of netsystem @€;36 per month.

Its started off well, but then people were taking the pi$$ and they ended up throttling their service, meaning basically that usage of file sharing apps and binary groups was chronically slow, circa 1-2Kb/sec. Now, I understand that they had to do something, but I would have personally much prefered a monthly download limit. Plus I had signed a years contract so I cannot get out of it until Oct :mad:

A UK/Ireland based service would be very welcome in my opinion.
    What satellite would you be using ? just to see if I 'd have to point mine in a different direction, currently at Astra 19.2E.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Echoing the comment above about competition I'd welcome a new satellite provider to the market. For a service to be attractive it would need to provide the installation at a reasonable cost - max €500. The monthly cost range for an uncapped serivce should be €80 - €90. If the new service can hit these parameters then I'd be interested.

M.

To answer your questions arising from the previous posts.

The latency issue is obvious and always there. Unfortunatly no matter how hard we try breaking those damm laws of physics it has proved to hard.

But we have developed software to address this and web-sites etc that have their own software, delaying the packets they send out and how they do that, allows us to catch up. To put in it the most simplistic way.

The costs you outline of 35 to 80 euro. These are generally packages with a landline on the return. This is not our system. We are independant of any phone lines.

Thank you all for replying on the subject any and all opinions help us in understanding the needs of any potential customers.

If you have any questions regarding Web-Sat do mail me at info@web-sat.com

Dr Dre,

For Europe we are on Eutelsat W3.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rikili

Any rough idea about the prices ???

A little birdie says that costs will be around €90 pm with installation costs of €1400+. Should be announced within the next few weeks.

M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

If the above pricings are correct, I cant see any residential customers for you at all. Who is going to pay €1400 install fee? That is just insane. The price of €90 per month is along the same lines as Eircoms ADSL starter package. Now with a lot of companies offering close to reasonable prices for their broadband package, there will be little or no demand for a service like the one described above in any area that's populated.

It would interest me to know where Mr MAn works :) 2 posts?

He'll be spending the afternoon clicking our sponsored links next.

The service is not designed for a urban area. Never was. Its for areas where Asdl and broadband is not available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Mr_Man
    A little birdie says that costs will be around €90 pm with installation costs of €1400+. Should be announced within the next few weeks.

M.

That £1400 is not refundable either and there is no 2nd hand market in VSAT kit if you decide that it is crap (many do) and you want to get rid of it.

It can web and ftp(pasv) no problem

It may time out in pop connections so you have to get funky mail forwarding set up

It should allow smtp to its own smtp server

Most well known p2p ports are blocked. IRC drops all the time, if allowed.

Most common VPN s/w such as (MS)PPTP/RRAS SecuRemote Cisco PIIX etc etc will either not work owing to port blockages or else will frequently time out and hang.

Most VSAT providers in Ireland, that I know of in the past 5-10 years have disappeared during that time.

Not sure where I work has anything to do with the costs for this service. For what its worth I'm self-emplyed, and work from home over an ISDN line, which is why I'm interested in reasonably priced BB.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

JaneyMackers it's JaneyMackers long time no see :)
    hows max ?

any way back to your post.
    you might have better luck on the IrelandOFFLine forum.
    if you want this post can be moved to it.
    but your swimming with the sharks there :)
    your sat set-up might be outside the price range of
    your avg. Joe, and might not go down too well but you can't beat
    IrelandOFFLine for getting told the truth.
    but it's good to see ISP's asking what people want and not telling them what’s good for them.

As long as this thread is not turned in too an advertisement.

Coyote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

This is what Web-Sat is trying to sell, you were right Da Man

256/64 (Bursting to 4Mbit when its quiet at night and you PC is on)
    €100-150 a month + Vat
    NO CAP as such but there is a "Fair Usage Policy" which can throttle on 24 Hour Basis and then you are released.

No Uplink over 64K

Hardware €1900 + Vat

Installation on top of that , Janey said €250 + VAT in the IoffL forum and then removed his own post ?!!!????

A Specimen example of what Web-Sat offers is Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

AHEM

Peak period is defined as 06.00 - 18.00 hours (GMT), 7 days per week, 365 days per year. All other times are off - peak.

Advertisement