Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7650 = Buggy land..

• 29-04-2003 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭

I've had my 7650 since last august so i imagine most of the newer versions will never see these problems but currently issues are... :

1. Power button is bollixed
    2. keypad will not remain down properly
    3. Phone will no longer enter the settings page for bluetooth or allow me enable it
    4. 3rd Party software Photographer just up'd and stopped working the other day.
    5. Phone crashed while attempting to send a text message and now the message is 'stuck' in the outbox with the only available options on it to view message details, cannot be deleted.
    6. Cannot backup or preform most sync options with my laptop anymore via infared since the outbox issue has arizen
    7. Frequently it will attempt to access gprs, fail and then will leave the gprs symbol flashing which prohibits any future attempts at gprs before a reboot

Probally have a few more, just wondering is anyone else's fone this bad?

and anyone know of anywhere i could get the software upgraded(and will this erase messages in my inbox and my phonebook? )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

i finally got mine upgraded from 3.12 to 4.46 last week with Mobile Phone Repair Company www.mprc.ie

i dropped it into them in Sandyford Industrial Estate (they are near the Compustore/Woodies Mall - there have a map on their site) they say it can be turned around in 3 hours (or so) but I just left it out one lunchtime and collected it the next day

hth,
    BrianG

Originally posted by Serialkiller
    (and will this erase messages in my inbox and my phonebook? )
    oops missed that bit

they don't gaurantee the content on your phone will be available when you get it back

i just formatted mine before i handed it in and set it up from fresh again when i got it home

hth,
    BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Young Sid

Can any Nokia service centre do this?

unfortunately not - the 7650 requires special opening tools and equipment - so most will just send it off on your behalf

had been looking since last August for somewhere in the city centre that would do it - the only place was Communicaid in Bray at that stage - but that was a bit far out for me - not sure when MPRC started to offer it but Sandyford was easier for me to get to :)

if you find somewhere in town that does it do post back (i had asked in: Telephone Centre Dawson St., Teknofone Georges St, and PhonePak Bachelors Wals (althogh PhonePak that had closed down last time i walked past))

hth,
    BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

How much did they charge u for that DubWireless??

And would u reccommecnd this fone in general. I was thinking of getting it, but reading the probs SerialKiller has had, im not so sure now.

The deal i was looking at was wit hmobile world:
    7650 for E149 as a rental fone.
    The monthly package will then be E15 per month, which includes 5E worth of free calls and 100 free txts a month.

Is that good?? Obviously its only good if the fone will work/ function properly in about a yrs time. Or even a yr + a half.

How old is yours and is it running ok?

thanks 4 any advice

• Advertisement

well a few of us got the phone when it came out first from Nokia - rather than waiting for the Operators to offer it - so that's why we have such early Software I was 3.12 (i think serialkiller was 3.16?)

so the operators only release it when they test the handset and pass it as stable (or as stable as they are happy with)

the software updates are under warranty so it was free (as mine was still under warranty) - you just have to explain what issues you are having with the phone (i.e. why you need the update) and they will apply an update if it will resolve your issues

to be honest the phone is over 9 months old at this stage (that's a long time in handset terms) - Voda have removed it from their site (and i think are just clearing stock) and not sure how long O2 will keep offering it

the 7650 was a cutting edge handset for it's time - but to be cutting edge they left a few features out in order to get it into production - so you'd be better waiting for a new generation Series 60 handset - if those are the kind of features you are after - the Nokia 3650 may come out soon or the Siemens SX1 (if the networks support it)

hth,
    BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

you really should be moderat0r of this forum dub... !:cool:

lol - no way - i think the post and go with no hassle is a far better situation :)

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Rebel18

Ive had the ocaisional problem with reception were im in a strong area and theres no reception unless I turn the phone off and on again.

btw i have the 7650.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by DubWireless
    well a few of us got the phone when it came out first from Nokia - rather than waiting for the Operators to offer it - so that's why we have such early Software I was 3.12 (i think serialkiller was 3.16?)

hth,
    BrianG

nope, 3.12 too, yeah i'll do the same, lotsa playing around with my fone and laptop last nite i've managed to copy my fone book off it, so don't mind a format now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

I dont want 2 spend ny more than E200 on a rental fone, so de new fones wont attract me.

Think ill go 4 de O2 offer of E149.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Originally posted by DubWireless
    i finally got mine upgraded from 3.12 to 4.46 last week
    I'm not sure if that was the best thing to do, DubW ;)That s/w release hasn't been approved by Vodafone because it isn't stable. Best s/w for the 7650, so far, is the 6 month old 4.39.

had to be done - 3.12 was too dangerous to have on the phone (it didn't manage memory properly and could cause a permanent lockup :() - always nervous adding a app incase it was one too many!

i did go through Vodafone's approved repair centre too ;)

BrianG

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by Serialkiller
    5. Phone crashed while attempting to send a text message and now the message is 'stuck' in the outbox with the only available options on it to view message details, cannot be deleted.

Can you move it to drafts? I had similar behaviour because I assumed it would pick up the default sms number for a given address entry all the time when in fact sometimes I was trying to send to landlines without realising (and the number doesn't show up, just the name).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

The Nokia Service Centre in Waterford does updates.

When mine went ape a couple of months ago I brought it in and it was sent away. When I went to pick it up I got talking to the guy and he told me he had just ordered the gear.

My friend went to get his done last week. Picked it up the next day. He had the message stuck in outbox prob. And he still does!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by ecksor
    Can you move it to drafts? I had similar behaviour because I assumed it would pick up the default sms number for a given address entry all the time when in fact sometimes I was trying to send to landlines without realising (and the number doesn't show up, just the name).

nope, can't do anything to it, after i managed to backup my fone i formatted it, and restored, and it came back. i think i'll have to just format it and re-set it up, or if i feel like wasting space restore the fone but don't allow it to overwrite the index file in the mail dir...

and yeah after playing around with it i'd be skeptial a software upgrade could fix the issue, might prevent it but doubtfully fix it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

Update.

The reason it didn't work was cos the flash itself didnt work. He got it reflashed at the weekend and the message is now gone. Sorry for the confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

How much does the s/w flash cost?

I gave my 7650 to my brother 2 weeks ago and it was broken by the weekend.
    The battery went dead and the power button wouldnt work.
    He only brought it back this weekend and i only got a decent look at it today.
    I took off the back cover. Got a needle, tried to press the button the power button pushes, but still no luck. I gave up after a while and started cleaning around it with the pin. Bit of dust gathered and i blew for a few seconds into the power button (thats from the back now, at the top left) and hey presto! it worked!

My only problems now are just general slowness and some software crashes.

Current Software is :
    v 3.16 (version)
    15-08-02 (date made)
    nhl-2na (not a clue)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

i think i might have to be getting payed for this.

i was just talking to tusky on irc, told him to blow on the power button* after a bit of fiddling and his worked.
    mine was kind of a moistened one, not a greaser :)

* = conZ will not be held responsible for phones with big greasers on them, water damaged phones or phones blown away.

Advertisement