Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning a laptop - what to use?

Options
  • 29-04-2003 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

I was at a bit of a loss as to the best place to ask this and finally settled on this board. Feel free to move it if necessary.

I have a light gray Toshiba Satellite 1110 laptop. It looks like this:
    Tosh.gif

Now I use my laptop quite a bit - both for work and entertainment, and when typing / using the keyboard, I tend to rest my wrists on the grey areas to the left and right of the trackpad.

Over time, these areas are getting worn and the grey colour is darkening in patches where I guess there's been more pressure from my hands. It doesn't look terrible but it is beginning to look worn and I'd naturally like to be able to keep the machine in as pristine condition as possible,... so I'm wondering what, if anything, anyone would suggest I could use to clean/restore it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Using some diluted methylated spirits always does my keyboards/mice/monitor casing (not screen) / case. Gets the dirt off and hasnt damaged anything. Other than that there are some anti-static cleaning agents available for such purposes. They are quite expensive, and I cant think of the names of them off the top of my head, I have some at home, so I'll check it and get back to you on it.

In the spirit of the tweaking/modding board...
    You could take this as an opportunity to mod your laptop with a funky paint job...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

How do you clean the screen on a laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Damp cloth with something for drying it handy is how I manage it. Just something to take the fingerprints off really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

OH yeah.. forgot that. I got this really soft cloth in a garage (for buffing the car after you wax it) and it works a treat for cleaning the screen of the laptop.

Failing that you know the little cloth you get from an opticians for cleaning your glasses.. That works great too...
    .. dont all computer geeks wear glasses :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Oh I have stuff for cleaning the screen - sort of an anti-static spray and a wee shammy. Does the job nicely.

It's the darkened "bruising" on the casing to either side of the trackpad that I want to clean off, to restore it back as close as possible to it's original silvery colour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement