Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help !!

Options
  • 29-04-2003 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭

Hi all ,
    Basically there is a position about to arise in the company I work for , I'm working in finance (Admin) , I hear they are looking to promote from within . A guy I know who used to work there told me to be prepared for any interview before I apply with a degree of knowledge on the following :

TCP/IP
    Routers
    Servers
    Cabelling
    Cisco/Switching
    Ghost
    Clone

As you may have guessed I haven't got a background in computers but would like to move into this department.

Can anyone help with these items , point me in the direction of online knowledge bases or even suggest other items to know.

I might add the company is quite keen on promoting from within like this probably cause there too tight to pay the going rate for suitable qualified persons !!

Fingers crossed !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Look for an MCSE book on "Networking Essentials," should cover the basics of most of that stuff.

Other thank that try google, for same...

That should touch on most of that stuff. More in depth study, would require more time than you've got (unless youve got about 6 months) to study.

Good luck in our new career path, and enjoy all the geeky frustrations that come with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Unlress they are going to train you, that's too much stuff to learn about in the space of a few days for an interview.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

When I say basics, I mean tell you what the difference is between each one of the above listed items. and perhaps a little bit about their use.

Verb is dead right, absolutely no point reading over the stuff, and trying to bluff your way into a job you cant handle.

Like I've said, to get your head around most of it, its at least 6 months serious study. Full time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Sorry , yes they will be training . As I have stated they like to promote from within whenever at all possible .

They will of course say that they offer great opportunities but I know the real reason is they aren't willing to pay the going rate for qualified people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You are looking for one of the bluffers guides.. unfortunately they are just way out of date - Paperback - 1 December, 1989 sort thing

Eg: but do searches for topics like it
    The Bluffer's Guide to the Internet: Bluff Your Way on the Internet
    The Bluffer's Guide to Computers: Bluff Your Way in Computers

other searches for later (if you get anywhere) "cheat sheet" "brain dump" etc..

When not studing read as much dilbert as possible - you will learn buzzwords - (hint - if asked what colour should an SQL database be - Mauve does NOT have more RAM)

• Advertisement
Advertisement