Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Dublin 15 area >?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Anybody know "exactly" in Ballycoolin ?

You need Line of Sight ... to be able to connect.

Best place I would think is on top of the new office block at the corner of the Blanch Shopping Centre that is currently vacant ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

i'd imagine if was going on the green property building (the skyscraper - i actually suggested this in a mail to them many months ago that got no reply) then they'd say the blanch centre... i actually have no idea where ballycoolin is, but i'd imagine they'll be somewhere up around the corporate park beside Dolly Heffernans.

Or maybe not.

You know... you just can't beat conjecture & speculation.

Ballycoolin is the industrial estate with Symantec, 3com, Creative etc. located in it.

I am trying to figure out where would make sense to place the transmitter although a new mobile mast went up there only about a month ago so they may share this ????

Blanchardstown Corporate Park is the other estate that has Synopsis, Superquinn etc in it although the Synopsis building (on the roundabout) is quite high ?

Originally posted by Couch Potato
    Ballycoolin is the industrial estate with Symantec, 3com, Creative etc. located in it.

To this I say: Sob
    I am trying to figure out where would make sense to place the transmitter

To this I say: My back garden.
    although a new mobile mast went up there only about a month ago so they may share this ????

Blanchardstown Corporate Park is the other estate that has Synopsis, Superquinn etc in it although the Synopsis building (on the roundabout) is quite high ?

To this I say: Yup. Would make sense alright, height-wise.

In all seriousness though, while i think it's great that IBB are venturing into the great unknown that is "de nort soide", by sticking their transmitter well out of the way up there i fear they're going to miss out on LOS to a lot, if not all, of the housing estates north of the shopping centre (ie where I bleedin live).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I asked them about this before. Apparently Castleknock is the highest bit of land around. Those buildings are all actually in a "dip" though they are quite tall.

• Advertisement

I drove through ballycoolin this morning and took the opportunity to scout out where IBB might be located - unfortunately, Netstumbler didn't pick anything up :( - i was kinda hoping they'd have an operational mast already....

Fingers crossed they're going on the roof of the main building at blanch corporate park (the white, curved one overlooking the roundabout on the way up to Dolly Heffernan's) - looks like it'd give great coverage if they are. AFAIK this is right beside Ballycoolin - if memory serves (from my DSW days) the halting site across the road is Ballycoolin.

Just off the phone to Irish Broadband - they hope to have blanch up and running in 3 to 4 weeks.

Here's hoping LOS is ok.... help us IBB, you're our only hope.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

Originally posted by Placebo
    since when did they change the name to eircon ? anyway their package is 54 euro per month and 99 connection if you self install it , is it hard to self install ?

hahahaha , sorry just thought that was funny :D

Originally posted by pete
    Just off the phone to Irish Broadband - they hope to have blanch up and running in 3 to 4 weeks.

Here's hoping LOS is ok.... help us IBB, you're our only hope.....

I doubt that I'm going to be able to see it though. Grrr

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    I doubt that I'm going to be able to see it though. Grrr

As it would happen, it transpired that the very nice lady (woman? girl?) in IBB used to live around the corner from me and so, from her own personal knowledge of the area was able to say that she was "doubtful" that i'd be in range.

I'm trying to imagine what the view from my roof would be like.... I'm pretty sure my house would be seen from the roof of some of the buildings in them industrial estates.... I can but wait for the man with the ladder to check it out for me.

(I'm currently in denial, but i expect i'll be angry later. Acceptance may come.... eventually)

• Advertisement

I'd say a lot of the apt blocks that have recently been built will block me off from everything nearby.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Fingers crossed they're going on the roof of the main building at blanch corporate park (the white, curved one overlooking the roundabout on the way up to Dolly Heffernan's) - looks like it'd give great coverage if they are.

This is the new Synopsis building. My company actually occupies the old synopsis building in the Corporate Park. I live in Tyrrelstown which is beside the Corporate Park but there are a lot of trees. I just hope than once you get on the roof the trees won't be a problem or I will probably cry :(

You should ring them and find out & report back here.... i'd ring them meself, but you know how when you ring a company, and they go "ah yes, you've been on before, haven't you?" and that's a bit embarrassing like?

So i won't be ringing them again for a while...

(probably just CRM / caller ID software... but still)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Giscard

Hi Guys,
    Very interesting discussion, this board is great :). I live in Deerhaven, past the Littlepace estate. I've tried to get DSL from both Esat BT and Eircom but my line has failed both times (Blanchardstown exchange). I'm not sure what my options are, it doesn't look like there are many.
    1. Keep ringing Eircom and hope that my line eventually passes. Don't hold much hope.
    2. Order another line but there are no guarantees. Probably wait until the nearer Damastown exchange is enabled and try to get line from there, if possible.
    3. Wait for IBB to put up wifi arial but it is very unlikely that I will have visibiliy.
    I think my best option is to keep getting my line tested and hope it passes. I would be very interested to know:
    1. Anyone live around Deerhaven and have DSL (or even a successful line test)? Littlepace, Pheasent Run, Bramblefield, Hazelbury, Castlaheany?
    2. What speed do you get? I don't want the line to eventually pass and then get rubbish speeds.
    I am very interested in your comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I live in the blancherdstown area in charnwood park in clonsilla.
    I'm on the RADSL Soho package from Netsource and am quite pleased with it atm.

Reasons why I like it -

No cap
    2 month contract - so the company is more answerable to the customer
    Friendly service and staff
    Not giving my money to eircom

now there were some problems with latency etc. but netsource listened to their customers and sorted it out, so i heartily reccomend them :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

I ive up in Corduff (swaar :)) IS that building at the the center beside currys our exchange is it?

Originally posted by popinfresh
    I ive up in Corduff (swaar :)) IS that building at the the center beside currys our exchange is it?

it's the one directly across the road from Curry's, yes.

so in corduff you should be sorted for DSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 darthdublin

Hey Guys,

I live just beside Littlepace, an estate called Beechfield. Does anyone live here, and have they had any news in relation to Broadband setup??.

Let me know.

My line did not pass the Eircom test, so Im probably ***ked!!.

Any way, let me know if anyone in this area has got Broadband.

Also, can someone answer me this, if I live in a new Estate, and NTL have cabled the area, they must be able to provide Broadband to its customers. Then again, I had to get Sky Digital into my House as NTL would not be up and running till,em, let me see..................around 2010!!!!.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Memnoch

Unfortunatly most of your money is still going to €ircon as they are selling wholesale to Netsource. Unless we manage to get either NTL broadband or Irish Broadband we are gonna have to give in to giving €ircon our money in one way or another. So, until NTL or one of the wireless companies have their service in more areas there remains no 'real' competition as long as €ircon hold all the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Any more news on IBB? I live in Brookhaven and a mast in ballycoolin would be SO sweet :D

But every time I've ever called, going way back to when they first started up, they have been talking about expanding to blanch, and always give a 2/3 month estimate. So is this the TRUTH?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by kamobe
    Any more news on IBB? I live in Brookhaven and a mast in ballycoolin would be SO sweet :D

But every time I've ever called, going way back to when they first started up, they have been talking about expanding to blanch, and always give a 2/3 month estimate. So is this the TRUTH?

When i rang them 2 weeks ago they said 6 weeks for the Ballycoolin node.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Phoned IBB today and was told it would be 2-3 months. when I told them that I saw it was 6-8 weeks on this forum I was put on hold and they went off to check. On their return I was told they were waiting for the ESB to provide electrical power to their site.

Asked would it be the conventional wifi service or the new Navini technology and I was told it would be conventional Wifi.

A completely unreliable report on their state of progress especially as their press releases suggest that the Navini technology will be rolled out in a North Dublin Suburb and Blanchardstown is on the North(west) Side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I rang them today, and i got the same response. 2-3 months seems to be the general response given.(last time i called them, i was told the same thing).
    so furk it, when i get back from holidays, i'm giving Netsource a call and hopefully my line passes (I live in Hartstown).

ho hum

not much of a choice really - wait 2-3 months for IBB, or keep not being able to get DSL for ever

if only we had electricity on the northside

ho hum

not much of a choice really - wait 2-3 months for IBB, or keep not being able to get DSL for ever

if only we had electricity on the northside

XxxxxXZzzackly

This Ripwave thingy from IBB may be the solution as range is supposed to be 5km of the base station and is NOT dependant on LOS.

€30 including VAT as well !!!

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/IBB_offer_ripwave.pdf

Still not in D.15 though. Might aswell be on the moon at least I'd get LOS there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Phoned IBB today and was told it would be 2-3 months.

*sigh*

Every single time. They've been saying this for years folks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 brooding-spirit

Originally posted by kamobe
    *sigh*

Every single time. They've been saying this for years folks....

Q. How do you keep an idiot in suspense?
    A. Give us a call in 2-3 months.

*sigh* same I get the same thing all the time too, at least they're consistent. :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Memnoch
    I live in the blancherdstown area in charnwood park in clonsilla.
    I'm on the RADSL Soho package from Netsource and am quite pleased with it atm.

Reasons why I like it -

No cap
    2 month contract - so the company is more answerable to the customer
    Friendly service and staff

now there were some problems with latency etc. but netsource listened to their customers and sorted it out, so i heartily reccomend them :)

Hey Memnoch, I am down the road in Castlefield - just wondering how are things with Netsource now everything ok - service seemed to get slated recently here ... ???

Thinking of ordering Netsource although if NTL would get their act together for €20 a month ?????????

Advertisement