Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Dublin 15 area >?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

hmm

well, it's big, and it's white....

ehhh as you're heading towards ballycoolin, away from the blanch centre, it's at a junction on the left hand side of the road.. the entrance to blanch corporate park, i think

it's pretty large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

hmmmm......might be it..... ah well best way to find out is to order the LOS test...

thanks,
    -andrew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Originally posted by pete

Hunters Run

To find it, get out a map & draw a straight line through the IBB transmitter, through that big white building & keep going for about 4.5km (according to their GPS receiver) and bingo - there's my house.

gahhhh

So does that mean that Littlepace & surrounding areas are blocked also? Jesus, that sounds like a bit of a cock up on the part of IBB. Im off the Huntstown road and am getting a LOS on Monday, im not exactly hopeful after hearing this news.

i don't know if the whole littlepace / hunters run etc area is affected - but the closer that offending big white building* is to their transmitter, the bigger the blindspot in the coverage....

* - i'm looking at the DTO mapping site again - i took my own advice and drew a line between ballycoolin and my house, and there's no way in hell it's the building i'm thinking of. i'm totally confused now...

Edit: After a bit of poking around on the DTO site, it looks like we have a winner: Bring me the head of whoever decided to build Blanchardstown Institute of Technology between my house and Ballycoolin.

DAMN YOU, THIRD LEVEL EDUCATION! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!

Using methods of Science and Modern Computers I have prepared the attached image to illustrate the blind spot of which i speak.

don't mind me - i'm just in denial

• Advertisement

It looks like i may be touch & go then as well :(

well good luck with it - i take it you're failing the DSL line test too?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Its not just me, but i get the feeling this broadband thing is bloody depressing! Between big white buildings, trees, you name it, cos something will be in way.

well good luck with it - i take it you're failing the DSL line test too?

not interested in the dsls crappy contentions & caps

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I don't think they picked a very good high site. I'm only a mile away and they can't even see it from my roof. I know of at least 3 others that have failed too. I think Ripwave is the only answer for those of us who can't get DSL or NTL Broadband.

• Advertisement

Saturday morning in Dublin 15

still on 56k

no hope of getting broadband

*sob*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

I take it the transmitter is that mast on the rhs behind the security shed as you enter the business park?

Still waiting for a date...

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 zfan

We should be calling you to schedule a line of sight test shortly - we use an automated queueing system, & your request is in the queue, so you will be hearing from us when you are at the top - apologies for the dealy. We have no schedule for bringing Ripwave to Dublin 15 at the moment, as it is only recently been launched from our Three Rock transmitter. I would imagine that it is likely to be 6 months before we have Ripwave in your area. There are no plans for a second transmitter in Dublin 15 at the moment. If you have any further queries before we are in touch with you, just let me know.

Kind regards,
    Elaine Carroll
    Irish Broadband Burton Court
    Burton Hall Road

Original Message
    To: Sales

Hi,I just got off the phone to €ircon and apparently will never be able to receive ADSL.I ordered an LOS test off the Ballycoolin transmitter about 2 weeks ago but have not had word of when it might take place yet.I have a few questions:

(1)Can you inform me of how soon i might receive an LOS test from Ballycoolin transmitter?

(2)I hear a number of people are failing this test due to a large building in the way (Blanchardstown IT,I believe).If so,how soon will irishbroadband find out if they can deploy Ripwave here (i.e the 3.5Ghz licence) and how soon afterwards would they provide this service?

(3)Are there any plans for a new transmitter in the D.15 area should they lose out on the 3.5Ghz licence? If so,do they need recommendations for high sites?

There are no plans for a second transmitter in Dublin 15 at the moment.

that's not what i heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by zfan
    I would imagine that it is likely to be 6 months before we have Ripwave in your area.
    6 months , thought the SOP was 2
    Hi,I just got off the phone to €ircon and apparently will never be able to receive ADSL.
    NEVER , I though that was an Ulster word. RADSL will be available at greater reaches by next year. Currently it is within 4km of an exchange but that will increease to maybe 5km and possibly more.
    I hear a number of people are failing this test due to a large building in the way .If so,how soon will irishbroadband find out if they can deploy Ripwave here (i.e the 3.5Ghz licence) and how soon afterwards would they provide this service?
    Large buildings will be a problem for anybody who gets a licence. There are a number of applicants for 3.5Ghz licences in Dublin. Not all would go with Ripwave kit. There is no guarantee that IBB will get any licence at all .
    If so,do they need recommendations for high sites?
    They all need the, Publish them in here. Name site and owner . Produce map with contours if possible because it all helps bring the service nearer....from whoever.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 zfan

Having complained to Eircom about my never being able to get ADSL even though my neighbours can and my connecting at only 33.1kb/s whereas my neighbours a constant 52.0kb/s the rat sent this reply

"Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail the Chief Executive of eircom, Dr. Philip Nolan, regarding the quality of service on your line.

I have had further tests carried out on the above line and unfortunately the line is still failing the prequalification test. The provision of i-stream is subject to the line passing the prequalification test. Your line does not meet the parameters required to support the ADSL service but fully conforms to the standard for voice telephony and some data transmission i.e internet connection. The reasons a line could fail can be due to:

- Your house is too far from the exchange.
    - The sensitive nature of ADSL means that the line to your house, while perfect for PSTN and ISDN technology, may not be suited for ADSL technology.

I can confirm that you are served via a dedicated pair which means you are not on a splitter/pairgain.

I am very sorry that my reply could not be more favourable at this time. "

If i am not on a pairgain what is a "dedicated pair"?
    Do I have any recourse against this? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

site%20location.gif

We'll see if i can get the service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Yay! I just passed :) The guys could actually see the transmitter from the roof with binoculars! I was worried that the town centre would block line of sight.

Problem is - lightning, as everyone in Dublin might just have noticed. A 2-metre high pole would scream HIT ME! so I'd be quite worried about that :(

For the 1st year, IBB's price is roughly that of IOL at the moment. But IOL also has the cap.

What a dilemma! :confused:

It is what it's.

well, ive had it for a few weeks now. im in huntstown.
    It had some teething problems on the first day i got it but since then its been fine. im on the 20:1 512/512 offering & speeds have been between 30-60 KB/Sec. So im happy enough so far.

Originally posted by oneweb
    What a dilemma! :confused:

At least you have a Dilemma. What I wouldn't give for a Dilemma. Will I choose DSL or Wireless. With me all I can think is, will I choose UTV flat rate or Esat flat Rate. mmm, how exciting!!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by LFCFan
    At least you have a Dilemma. What I wouldn't give for a Dilemma. Will I choose DSL or Wireless. With me all I can think is, will I choose UTV flat rate or Esat flat Rate. mmm, how exciting!!

I feel your pain.

No word on the second IBB blanch transmitter for a while.... hmm.

Am digging up this ole thread because i spotted the following post on another site, posted by someone who had previously failed the IBB LOS test:
    Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:48 pm Post subject:

Good news on the Irish Broadband front, their transmiter has been upgraded. I got a letter to sign up. They do the line of sight and installation at the same visit. Just have to send off the paper work and we should be in business

Can anyone verify this?

Is this the lesser-spotted Ripwave?

edit: Obviously this is the D15 Ballycoolin transmitter i'm enquiring about (see thread title). I've asked the poster for more info but no response yet. Going to ring IBB tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Going to ring IBB tomorrow.

Good Luck.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Is this the lesser-spotted Ripwave?
    There is no line of sight test for Ripwave.

Good point. So either

a. they got a taller transmitter
    b. they demolished the infamous "big white building"
    c. he's wrong
    d. they're wrong

Ahhhh buggery.

Originally posted by Ripwave
    There is no line of sight test for Ripwave.

No, but do they not do a signal test of some sort? The fact that this says test plus installation on the same days sounds more like ripwave then LOS? Of course if this is the case it probably won't be the Ballycoolin transmitter that post was on about. No such bleedin' luck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Podger

I got the home breeze recently. The problem with the 2.4GHz is that everyone can use it for anything like 802.11b, bluetooth, baby monitors etc....

The engineers were talking about a new licence they got to use the 3.5GHz range. This will allow them to pump up the power as it won't interfere with anyone else. As a result there will be increased range ( up to 20 Km) and bandwidth (4Mbit) and the requirement for line of sight is gone. They are currently testing this from 3rock but only use it for big players as the kit is still quite expensive

Good point. So either

a. they got a taller transmitter
    b. they demolished the infamous "big white building"
    c. he's wrong
    d. they're wrong

Ahhhh buggery.

Spoke to IBB. They've upgraded the capacity, not the reach.

Bugger.

update on the D.15 broadband situation...

Still no sign of Clonee exchange getting DSLified, but i learned last week that a couple of people about 200 yards closer to Blanchardstown exchange than me are qualifying. Gits. Bizarrely (or perhaps not), some people even closer to the exchange are failing.

It has been confirmed to me that IBB have at least one customer in Littlepace, which is pretty much on the edge of their Ballycoolin mast coverage map. I've seen another antenna in Castaheaney, and some others have been spotted in various other estates out here on the safe side of the dublin / meath border.

WHY DID I FAIL THEIR LOS TEST? WHY GOD, WHY???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I've been looking for broadband service for about a year now. Eircom say that my line is not suitable but they will not say why. They told me that I could pay to have a new line installed but they will not guarantee that it will be suitable for broadband!
    I contacted IBB and filled up the form etc. They now say that it will be another six to eight weeks before they can get around to me as there is a massive demand at the moment

Advertisement