Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my upgrade? Suggestions Appreciated

• 29-04-2003 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭

hey i took advice from you ppl who replied to my last post and went to komplett and try and make a pc this is what i came up with.

Chieftec Dragon Aluminium, Tower, w/DoorCase w/340W power E 143,81
    Pentium 4 3.06 GHz Boxed PC533 E 500,04
    Abit IC7-G mainboard for S478/800mhz E 252,11
    Corsair XMS3200LL DDR-DIMM 512MB PC3200 E 189,00

i also want to add that i have the a DVD drive and a cd/rw and gf4 ti4200 and a good hard drive so i won't be upgrading these at the moment.

should i need a bigger power supply with the case or is 340w okay?
    also with the cables connecting harddrives and drives to the motherboard can i use the ones inside my own 3 year old pc or will i need new ones?

Any comments would be greatful :)

*EDIT* also i'm thinking of getting a O/S is well which is the best soley for gaming,music,online gaming?

*EDIT2* if i was to buy WinXP Pro would it be the english version since the overall komplett is a norweigin (sry for bad spelling) company

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

cr3m0
    also with the cables connecting harddrives and drives to the motherboard can i use the ones inside my own 3 year old pc or will i need new ones?

Well are you getting a new hdd ? the ide cables can have a diff number of wires 40/80 and diff speeds ata 100/133 so if you have an ata 133 hdd and use a ata 100 ide cable it wont go at the full speed,the bios should tell you somthing to that effect.you should get new ide cables with your mobo so just use them and u should be fine.

O and i find win2k professional excellant for games,mp3,movies,to be honest i wouldent touch win xp with a barge pole.

COMBATCOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well thanks for your help i didn't know that you get cables with a motherboard since it's my kinda first time buying one separtrate

thanks man you were a big help might just go ahead with this upgrade when they get the 3ghz chips back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Cr3m0

You must have money to burn
    Your thinking of spending over €750 on board and processor
    In my eyes thats to much
    You have gone for the dearest products they have
    If you dont have a problem with AMD I would recommend a nforce2 socket A board Epox, Asus or Abit all around € 110 - 150

Boards

and an amd Batron xp 2800
    Barton
    alot of money saved with the same punch

Thats just my opinion
    Dec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I agree that you may be overpaying for what you want.
    Why not get a motherboard which will support a 3.06GHz P4 but just buy a 2.53Ghz CPU and upgrade the processor in about 6 months (and sell the 2.53GHz one). That way you'll save yourself €250 on that alone. For that you could get another 512MB of RAM and some little extras, ie. fans, rounded IDE cables, etc.
    The RAM would probaly give better performance to your Games, music and video than the extra speed of the processor would.

Your power supply should be okay as long as your not planning to add some serious extras to your PC like lights in every place you can imagine and that kinda thing.

As Combatcow said, you should get all cables necessary for connecting up your drives with the motherboard so no worries there.

I use Win 2k pro and I really like it in comparison to 98 or NT. I've no experience with XP and I've no intention of getting any.

Win XP Pro will most likely be in english but either way you can change the language settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by Cr3m0

Chieftec Dragon Aluminium, Tower, w/DoorCase w/340W power E 143,81
    Pentium 4 3.06 GHz Boxed PC533 E 500,04
    Abit IC7-G mainboard for S478/800mhz E 252,11
    Corsair XMS3200LL DDR-DIMM 512MB PC3200 E 189,00

*EDIT* also i'm thinking of getting a O/S is well which is the best soley for gaming,music,online gaming?

*EDIT2* if i was to buy WinXP Pro would it be the english version since the overall komplett is a norweigin (sry for bad spelling) company

Your mad to pay that much for processor and board.

Go for WinXP pro or Win 2000.

• Advertisement
Advertisement