Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What in gods name jyst happened!!

• 29-04-2003 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Ok, big problem. I have a fairly new Hewlett Packard "Pavilion 472" with xp. This has two c.d drives. I put an audio c.d in the standard d.v.d rom reader drive but it didn't detect the c.d. I tried it in the c.d writer drive but nothing happened for about 5 minutes and the eject button wouldn't work (except for the old hourglass thingy) and the task manager did't work either even when I tried shutting down. In desperation, I turned off the p.c with the screen still frozen. When I turned it back on, the drive still wouldnt open (but the little light is continuosly flashing) and I went in to my computer which showed only one Drive!!!! I tried adding new hardware but nothing showed there either. I would greatly appreciate anyone who could help me out.

-Rob

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

humm... suxors. well if you want to get your cd back. there should be a little hole in the front of the drive. unfold a paperclip and push it into the hole and it will force the drive to open. about the rest, sound like your comps a wee bit f*cked up. i'd suggest bringing it back to have wherever you bought it repair it, tis not worth the hassle if it's still under warrenty.

If you want to try and fix it yourself try doing an add new hardware search. might come up finding the drive. Can't help you much more than that I havn't used xp that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 NWA4EVAJAY

Thanks alot! That worked a charm (altouugh I had to get the c.d out while it was turned off for some reason) You saved me alot of time and even more hassle!
    Thanks again
    -Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Dont panic, restart the pc and before it comes to windows press the eject button and it will open.

The problem is more than likely the CD as it happened in both drives, im guessing its a CD-R or something that mucked it up or else its damaged in some way, try another CD in both drives before ya put it back in.
    Some Audio Cds are coming out now in such a way that the cannot be read in a PC as they then cannot be copied, i have a way around that if you want some info PM me.

Advertisement