Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working from home oppertunities?

• 29-04-2003 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I finish my current three year contract with my current employer next week, currently Iv been working from my home for them (i have all the technology to do so effectively).

Thing is, as I'm a wheelchair user with various things that stop my travelling ability,

However, Im actually very highly skilled, in a lot of areas ranging from IT & admin to community development to lecturing, running workshops, the Arts, and lots more. And I'm not even 30 yet lol ;) .

I have excellent communication skills and a very good telephone manner and typing skills, I also have many excellent ref's from Big names in the various areas. :)

My problem is, I cannot find a company open to the idea of using the technology I have to work from home in this country, in this day and age, it is crazy,..... any ideas any1?

Barry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

This is just an idea but try someone like Micro Soft and if they say no tell them you go to the paper and say that they didnt hire you cuz your in a wheel chair. They'll either pay you off or give ya a great job. :D

hehe I really am a nasty peice of work :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Haha the last thing ms need is bad publicity..
    There's loads of companies you could try.. Hewlett, microsoft, symantec, oracle, IBM, 3com, Xilinx, Dell, Intel.. they are the main ones..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

That's a sad state of affairs in this day and age DawnTreader. You can however see where they might be coming from. Someone working from home making their own hours etc.

I worked from home for a while and i took the absolute p*ss.

You do however have good references obviously where you were working from home for people. I suppose its a new concept for a lot of employers and maybe they dont wan to tr and get their heads around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

LOL at two first posts, not a bad idea, lol, ya never know i might have to at this rate! LOL ;)

Balooba, it *is* crazy, I mean, most workforces above a certain amount of employees are *required* to have a certain amount of employees with disabilities, (how they manage to get around that is a whole other issue :rolleyes: ..... but, allowing people to work from home is a solution to that, specially if their premises is not accessible, (its no excuse, but there are some excuses like registered or historical protected buildings).

As far as people working from home taking advantage goes, the thing is, you would be allocated work, if that work is completed on time great, if not then you are repremanded appropriately by your employer.
    That way you cannot take advantage, also, having a percentage of home based workers often works out better financially for the employer because of the cost of office space, and home workers often have their own equipment and look only for replacment paper, ink, staples, paperclips, binders etc. :)

Actually, research has even shown that home based workers are generally more productive than office based workers, take less sick leave and because of being in a less stressfull enviroment, produce a generally better quality of work.

It still amazes me that we hae the attitude that we are a nation of slackers, if somone does the work, they get paid and keep their job, if they dont, then they dont get paid and get fired, simple eh?

:)

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Dawntreader

It still amazes me that we hae the attitude that we are a nation of slackers, if somone does the work, they get paid and keep their job, if they dont, then they dont get paid and get fired, simple eh?

if only that were true.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

whiitewashman :)
    Im not really saying that is the case for a lot of employment situations at present, but I Do think it is a reasonable rule when you are talking about home-based workers, I know *I* would accecpt it as part of a contract.
    Another point I forgot about working from home, a lot of home workers, as I often have, when they have somthing like the flu, will work during it rather than take a week off, because ur at home anyway and its either that or watch "richard & judy"! *shudder* LOL ;)

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Dawntreader
    whiitewashman :)
    Im not really saying that is the case for a lot of employment situations at present, but I Do think it is a reasonable rule when you are talking about home-based workers, I know *I* would accecpt it as part of a contract.
    Another point I forgot about working from home, a lot of home workers, as I often have, when they have somthing like the flu, will work during it rather than take a week off, because ur at home anyway and its either that or watch "richard & judy"! *shudder* LOL ;)

B

i think i was commenting on the bit about people who do the work will be rewarded and those who dont lose their jobs.
    i have yet to be in a company where that happened.
    its more about how you market yourself and how well you play a political game rather than how good you are.

its a fine rule to have, dont get me wrong, and i would love for it to be true, and most people would accept it as part of a contract, but it still doesnt matter. you can put a spin on anything and make yourself look invaluable.

people who look invaluable for a company will be kept over those who dont.

with regards to being off through flu, i dont see why you should be off if you have flu. after all if you are sick, you are sick. i work from home occasionally, but only if i have a lot of admin stuff to do. otherwise i go to the office because thats where i like to be.
    besides, if i sat at home all day everyday id go mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

"Communism works in theroy Marge,.... In THEROY!" :)

The point is that if you want to get ahead you have to play the game. Life isnt fair and it aint changing. Unfortunatly. :(

Advertisement