Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Category5 cable

Options
  • 29-04-2003 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

This might be a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway:

I'm connecting 3 computers to a modem/router. I know I need CAt5 cable. However, when looking to buy some I discover that there are a good few different types of cable - crossover/patch/straight.... . Is there much of a difference between these? If so what do you recommend. 2 of the computer will be about 20 metres away from the modem and the other will be 10 metres.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

crossover is one type which you wont need, patch or straight is the cable you need(different names for the same thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

There are two main types that you need worry about, straight through and crossover.

The general rule goes....

Use a crossover for similar devices.
    Use a straight through for dissimilar devices.

So you connect your network card to your hub/switch using a straight through cable as they are different types of devices.

You would connect a network card in one machine to a network card in another machine directly using a crossover cable as the devices are the same.

You would also connect a switch to another switch using a crossover cable.

In your case Im going to assume that the router/hub you have has a few ports on it. In this case you will use straight through cable from each network card in each pc to the router/hub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Avoid calling patch cables “straight through cables”, as straight through cables also exist (ie: 1-1, 2-2, 3-3), without adhering to CAT5 colour coding.

PS: If your router has multiple Hub ports, then you should indeed be using patch cables.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

More suited to nets/comms me thinks.

Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

crossover cable is used for connecting 2 pc peer to peer. crossover connect the tranmit of pcA to the receiver of pcB and vice versa.
    hubs, etcs usually have this crassover built into them so you use straight-through cables.

Here's a tutorial on Cat 5.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

All you need are patch cables of the appropiate lengths

If all the PC's are reconably close just use normal patch cables - you will get these in B&Q (open 7 days) / www.marx-computers.com etc. These should have nice mounded ends that cover the little "pip" on the connector and are flexible - maximum recommended length is 20m.

Note: Many router box have 4 network interfaces but 5 RJ45 sockets - where the 5th is cross over on the 4th - ie. you can only use port 4 or 5 not both.

=============================================

While you can buy a box of cable to make your own cables. Do this only if you are going to have wall sockets ! - this sort of single stranded copper is meant for the backbone from the wall socket to the patch panel -ie. the cable does not have to be flexible. If you make cables from this type they will break if you use then as patch leads (the ones that go from the PC to the wall socket) (total length including the patch cable is 100m) - Ok you can buy a box of cable suitable fo rmaking patch leads (multistrand) but it costs a lot more - so is fairly rare.

If it does not say crosover - then it ain't. Even though cat 5 has been around for donkeys years it is still rare to see crossover cables already made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

3 PC's = switch/hub. Switch is faster(recommend). Using hubs or switches require straight though cat.5 twisted pair. Crossover type is used when two PCs are involved, as said by jabberwock

There is two types of straight through, patch and drop.
    Patch less flexable and is used when putting the cable in walls and stuff. Doesnt really matter what you use.

Go to www.komplett.ie . Good place to buy stuff aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I find B&Q the best place for networking cables etc... seriously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by Saruman
    I find B&Q the best place for networking cables etc... seriously!
    I second that, seriously you would be supprised at what they have for networking.

Advertisement