Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Divide

Options
  • 30-04-2003 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Yet another day passes and still no sign of CS 1.6 being released in zip form.Apparently Valve have decided that useing Steam a broadband only application is viable now .Meaning there are enough people arround the world with broadband the justifi this move.Ok its only a game(some would say) but what if MS office or other esential programs follow suit ?.Take note Mr goverment Bod the worlds moving on dont let us be left behind.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Yeah its becoming a really pain not having decent web access. Even a lot of game and linux stuff requires mega downloads these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Canadian

Now living in Japan, I have 10+ Mb/s access in my apartment as part of the standard package along with heat and plumbing. This is not overly great however as 15 Mb/s DSL is commonly available from many sources.

Japan now has some sort of goal to have most households on Fibre by the end of 2003.

Why can Japan do this while Ireland suffers in the 3rd world??

Simple. Ireland is held hostage by idiots.

But so is Nigeria and many other african nations......

=============================
    So very happy to be off the E-Hub
    I would recommend all of you try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

I dream of the day when i can say ive only got a crappy 10/MB connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

Originally posted by Canadian

Why can Japan do this while Ireland suffers in the 3rd world??

Because Ireland is 3rd world. We've got ****ty indigineous companies who are only here because of tax breaks (it sure aint for the infrastructure), whereas Japan have the Toyota's of the world (i.e., companies with more dough in the bank than Microsoft) and have a trade that's based primarily on exports rather than imports. Of course, I do recognize that O'Briens sandwich bars are successful!

Most annoying. And I'm green with envy with your 10 Mbs and your sushi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

You know, when you think about it it's maddening. Japan were nuked 60 years ago and they still have broadband!!!! They're a nation of do'ers and are to be admired for the strength of recovery in building a world-class economy....
    Toyota
    Sony
    Nissan
    Matsu****a
    etc
    etc
    etc
    etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement