Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Q: Re Using 2 Digiboxs ...

• 30-04-2003 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

I've seen people suggest here that we use a separate digibox for the FTV cards. Thats fine I have one and I intend rigging it up.

My question is does it not cause problems if both boxes are in view of the remote control ? I presume they both react to the controls ? Is there any way of getting around this besides putting them in different locations ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭navi_5445

Unless you're recording on one box while watching the other you can simply switch off the box you're not using. You can then use the RC power button to toggle boxes i.e switch Box A off while switching on Box B.

Of the technical issues involved I would have assumed this to be down the priority list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

I use two digiboxes. A workable solution is to set up favourite channels on the FTV box. Then change the channel on this box using the blue button. It is not the perfect scenario but it helps.
    Also,if you taping on one channel on the other box for a long period just cover up the green light with a video cover or something and you can use the other box as you wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I have mine in two locations.
    Another possibility is to block the IR window on one with a piece of card.

You could also try this:
    get a piece of polariser
    (The plastic card on front of a broken phone LCD will do)

Cut two big bits for digiboxes and on small bit for remote.

Verify it *IS* polariser by rotating one piece on an other, it will go light and dark.

put the two big bits on digiboxs (use a piece of card as above to fine where the "IR EYE" is on the tinted plastic.) at 90 degrees.

rotate the third piece to check that at -45 (or -90) it darkens one but not the other and at +45 (or 0) it is the opposite way. Put it across the IR LED on the remote.

Now the digibox(es) can only "see" the remote if it is at the correct angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You also need two coax LNB feeds and either two dishes + LNBs OR a dual or quad o/p LNB to feed the digibox coax cables.

The advantage of two dishes is that you can move one to occasionally get the free 22,000 and 27,500 SR channels on Astra 19 and Hotbirds 13. More than you can store on Digibox "other channels" (forgets them if you add more than 20 although there are 50 positions).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭v10

Thanks for the quick replies lads. Best thing to do is set it up I suppose then take it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

Originally posted by v10
    Thanks for the quick replies lads. Best thing to do is set it up I suppose then take it from there.

Let us know how it goes for you !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I've got a regular Sky digibox and a Sky+ box side by side - the remotes operate on different 'frequencies' and so do not interfere with each other at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

V10 hope that card is working our ok for you ;)

I too have 2 digiboxes. I have a unit with 2 swing doors. If I close the left door it blocks the IR on my irish box, if I close the right door it blocks the IR on my uk box.

You can also block the IR with a peice of tin foil or (as my Dad does) a VHS video balanced over the IR of 1 decoder.
    Unless you're recording on one box while watching the other you can simply switch off the box you're not using. You can then use the RC power button to toggle boxes i.e switch Box A off while switching on Box B.

Can't see how this would work as as soon as you press any other button (all channels ect) the other decoder (turned to off) will turn on as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

Up until recently we had 2 digiboxes. Went through endless scenarios of what to do. Eventually we just stuck with physically unplugging the one we didn't want to use at the time and then plugging it in when we did.
    Annoying but the only way we found to get around it.
    Also what annoyed me was when you unplugged the digibox you lost everything in your personal planner.

Damn no autoprompt to tell me when Eastenders is on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 alfa

Folks,

I was in the same situation of two digiboxs. My main box was in my sitting room and fed through a global splitter to my second tv room (also to rest of house with Global 7 way splitter using the tv link device to change channels.). My second tv room is where my old black vcr is used (looked awful with my shiny new amp, tv etc - you get the idea !!) and I have a Tv link in use.

I got a second receiver for my FTA/FTV card and was faced with same dilema!.

My solution was to splice additional cable to the tvlink - between infra red eye and co-ax plug - used alarm cable.

I now have a magic eye beside my armchair to power my main box in main tv room. If I want to use FTV card just point at box.

Cables are hidden behind skirtings.

Hope it doesn't sound complicated as it works a dream.

Would also work in senario where two boxs are side by side. Use tvlink to control Box A, whilst blocking out front panel on reciever which receives signal from remote. Box B works as normal.

Anyone else try this solution ???

• Advertisement
Advertisement