Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My hamster bite his cage

Options
  • 30-04-2003 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

I know they have to use their teeth etc...

I spent a fortune on wood stuff (tried all kinda of chewy woods... various flavours..etc..), but that asshole keeps on bitting his metal cage up to 2-3 am! (keeping me awake).

Any suggestions people?

What does your hamster/rat/rodent is bitting on? 12 votes

His cage
    0% 0 votes
    some wood stuff...
    66% 8 votes
    Salt lick
    25% 3 votes
    Other (please tell in the post...)
    8% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

had a hamster once, drove me nutz constantly chewing on his cage and it was made of wood so he made bits of it :)

eventually i started throwing food at him everytime he'd do it, just keep him quiet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭super_canard

Lol.. thanx... Well Mine is fat enough already... won't encourage him... LOL...

Thank you anyway :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah, they'll do that.

How big is the cage? What kind of stuff is in the cage (for him to play/mess with). Any wheels or toy things?

yeah,

he's got salt lick, a giant parot wood chewy stuff, he tunnel (about 1 meters long all together), A wheel that he never uses, and some kinda of smal bridge thingy...
    Sometimes I put him inside a ball so he can run and exercise a bit...
    would you think a toy would make him happier? (which one??? he doesn't seem to enjoy the wheel thing.. and he's playing I can climb the ceiling of the cage a lot recently...)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭PAPILLION

yeah, I used to have russian hamsters the little backstards always chewed the bars, they would hang from the top of the cage by their teeth. scarey

even when u let them out the chew on the bars from the outside. they must have magnets in their teeth.

The only serious suggestion is thatyou buy one of the ventillated plastic cages, but then the poor critter wont be able to climb.

I now have a pet greyhound. She doesn't chew so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Rella

I believe a picture of Richard Gere put next to the cage keeps them quiet!:D :p

does that work for male and female hamsters alike? :p

humm never tried the picture solution... :)

who knows.. it might actually work :)

so just how many pictures of richard gear do you have s.c?
    :p

none so far.... but if it works... maybe a couple of them.. surrounding the cage :-)

Otheriwse to go back on topic, anybody tried pest repulsive stuff? (u know that kind of stuff which makes it stink for them...? or is that just cruel?)

• Advertisement

a little bit cruel i would imagine.

they enjoy climbing plus it gives them much needed exercise. if you put a towel over the top at night it should reduce the noise a bit though. if that fails. move yourself or the hamster to a different location at night.

good luck anyhow

I can't... :-(

there is the tube going all over the place :-)
    And the house is a 2 room appartement... So not much i can do on the moving part of things either really.. :-(

earplugs then. or voulintary deafness

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I was sharing a gaff and one of the people living there had 4 hamsters. I used to let my favourite one out for walks around the living room and it decided to eat the off button on the telly remote control. I guess it picked that button because it was red.

I also learned that hamsters don't like microwaves very much.

Originally posted by amp
    they don't like microwave

Pleassee.. tell me it's not what I think... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Chewing the cage is a part of owning critters! does not matter what you give them hammis, gerbil, chins etc are bar biters! the only solution is to house them in glass tanks!

Putting a towel over the cage will not help! they wake up in the dark!! & will chew up tthe towel to make a nice soft fluffy bed!!

Faye:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by super_canard
    Pleassee.. tell me it's not what I think... ?

You've never tried Hamster? Try it. It's fucking delicious..

Hamster Recipes

Excellent... he's going to enjoy these... thanx for the recipe. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is he being territorial? Try moving the cage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

we had a hamster years ago and he used to get out at night and chew on the bottom of the sitting room door and then get back into his cage. No idea how he was opening and closing the cage door though. Still freaks me out to this day.

• Advertisement

Tried to move his cage...

I think he's just doing it to annoy me at night time in fact :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by amp
    You've never tried Hamster? Try it. It's fucking delicious..

Hamster Recipes

This post is not approiate to this forum which is used by minors. This post should be deleted.

Bond-James Bond,

Read the site that links to. It's a page with recipes FOR hamsters :)

Amp was just being silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

All rodents and also Rabbits /Hares (might not be rodents) and Cavies (definately not rodents) have constantly growing teeth. Perhpas if they have too much soft food they feel the need to chew on cage.

Our piggies chew any wooden corner.

The male chewed his wire run till he hurt his mouth (The girls are in a different run...). We have to block the view in that direction and then he is OK.

He will chew carrot in preference to wire and utimately prefers food to girls..

They do eat guinea pigs in S.America where they originate (Peru), and also in Italy. Here people prefer full size genuine piggies with the eggs.

So Far Eastern Dog rumours may be true too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    This post is not approiate to this forum which is used by minors. This post should be deleted.

To be honest James I Have to agree with Koneko.Amp was joking!!!!!!
    Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

hmmm........
    years back, one of mine chewed the bars so much he got a cut around his nose, vet cave me this stuff, its a liqiud spray used to train puppies not to chew things, tastes VILE (yes i did :D )......... dont remember the name but im sure any pet store will stock it, u just spray a bit on ur finger, then rub ur finger on the bars, he will never chew them again :)

Until then, mine loved destroying cardboard toilet roll, kitchen towel tubes,..... that used to exhaust him no end, also try keeping him awake as much as possible during the day, he will hate u at first, but once he adjusts he will sleep at night (good way to do it is make the cage dark during the day and put a small lamp (v low watt) beside it at night :)

good luck :)

B

Originally posted by Dawntreader
    hmmm........
    years back, one of mine chewed the bars so much he got a cut around his nose, vet cave me this stuff, its a liqiud spray used to train puppies not to chew things, tastes VILE (yes i did :D )......... dont remember the name but im sure any pet store will stock it, u just spray a bit on ur finger, then rub ur finger on the bars, he will never chew them again :)

Until then, mine loved destroying cardboard toilet roll, kitchen towel tubes,..... that used to exhaust him no end, also try keeping him awake as much as possible during the day, he will hate u at first, but once he adjusts he will sleep at night (good way to do it is make the cage dark during the day and put a small lamp (v low watt) beside it at night :)

good luck :)

B

Thanx for all of that :)

But for the finger thing... did you think about where my finger might go after? (kidds don't read that post :) Or think about bees)... (big bad joke - me was out... biiig time... i will not recover).

Some animals hate lemon (like ferrets, if I remember correctly). If hamsters do, just rubbing a bit of lemon on the bars should help (like dawntreader's suggestion).

But as others have said, it's perfectly normal, they all do it :)

super_canard, bad joke indeed. Less of those please :P

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Dawntreader
    good way to do it is make the cage dark during the day and put a small lamp (v low watt) beside it at night
    Surely the other way around, with this suggestion he won't know when night or day is.

• Advertisement

Vengeanceeeee... 3 hours I put him in hos ball...(running ball)... at the equivalent of 3 am for him.... LOL...

Know he knows how i feel :-D

Advertisement