Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paisley Vs Cowen

Options
  • 30-04-2003 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭

Paisley Vs Cowen

I thought this was interesting. I can't believe that a politician even Paisley would come out with something like this!

Do you think this will help or hinder his case in the upcoming election (if it happens)?

Should these comments be ignored or should someone reprimand him?

Personally I think he might put some voters that are unsure of whether to vote UUP or DUP off. I also think that either the Northern Secretary or Blair should publically comment on how inappropriate such comments were.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm somewhat embarressed to admit that, much as I hate ad hominem arguments and as inappropriate as I thought those comments were - I couldn't stop giggling for a half-hour after hearing them :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'd be of the opinion that the majority of Paisley's supporters are just as bigoted as him, so this will only lead to cheering from them. As to reprimanding him, who's going to do that? The man's a law until himself.

The only solution to the Paisley problem is to lock the man up in stocks and let every man, woman and child in Ireland, regardless of religion give him a kick up the arse. Kicked up the arse to death, there's your solution. Make a martyr out of that.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you're a normal well balance person the remarks were both funny in a "dies on the lips" fashion and highly embarrassing, I mean Paisley is one of us - a human being that is. He brings the whole species down....the fact it proberly played well his core audience is depressing but just another reminder why a united Ireland is that desirable.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Of course Cowan himself is one to talk given his has comments about other politicians. No wonder his is staying quiet about it (or it could be true ;)).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

The IRA should have executed that lunatic Paisley years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭sanvean

I can't remember where I read it, but apparently someone commented somewhere (sorry about the lack of information, it was either the times or the independent editorial) that his remarks about 'going back to the land of like people' re thick lips was interpreted as a rascist remark. what land was he talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

He must have meant Kerry. I lost track of how many times I heard "shut up or I'll give you a fat lip" while growing up there... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

1) Who would be willing to reprimand him?
    2) Why bother, the comments just show up his own ignorance.

I'd say let him waffle on all he wants. It is unfortunate that he does have an equally bigotted following but I'm sure the average person would just see the remarks as more hot air from him.

Personally I did find it all pretty amusing, but then I find a lot of the crap he spouts amusing. It's hard to be insulted by someone you have absolutely no respect for..

Advertisement