Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about Satellite

• 30-04-2003 1:20pm

I know nothing about Satellite but i am looking for a way of getting to see live NBA NHL and NFL through satellite at home . I dont want to spend too much but how much am i looking at and is it hard to get ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

You wont be guaranteed to recieve any of these as i dont know of any channel that broadcasts 3 or even 1 of these sports, live and on a regular basis.

So spending money on a subscription to Tele+ or Premiere which occasionaly broadcasts an event would not justify the expense and it would come at an expense.

Feedhunting is a bit of a lottery but for what you want a fixed dish with mutiple feeds wont work as these feeds are seen from 7E right the way over to 43W and again, your not guaranteed a feed when you want it.

You would need a motorised setup but these are pretty cost effective today.

You wont need to spend much really [relative]..maybe €250 of a FTA reciever, €150 on a 1M dish, €30 for the LNB and maybe €100 on the motor and if you install it yourself then you save anywhere between €150 & €250. Most installers would go for an actuator setup though which would save you some as it is cheaper than a motor.

bottom line..you will spend €500+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If home is USA, Canada or possibly bits of Greenland :D

I heard that Actuator jacks can rust/seize up easier than a motor, so I was thinking of a motor, perhaps cheaper in longer term.

Any recommendations?

The current SW I use does not do a motor, it controls just simpler Diseq like 4 way switch.

Arent there two kinds of motor? Diseq and not. Also can't a remote addon "manual" disque position controller be used with a receiver that has not positioner (like my analog ones or Digiboxes)?

Any ideas / recommendations chernobyl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Personally if i wanted to save cash i would not go for a set top box but get a Skystar2 from EON as it is heavily subsidized..im not sure of the price but i think its like €60.

A Skystar2 is without question the best piece of hardware in DVB satellite today as it does every fuking thing you could ever want.

You can use it as a PVR [a reciever with this feature..€400].
    It can decode encrypted channels [reciever with cams/programmer and cards €400+]
    It can decode the 4:2:2 standard [reciever for this €2000+]

For decoding encrypted channels, you would need a 1.5ghz machine but thats not exactly a rocket these days.

I would go motorised with a 1M dish and a Diseqc 1.2 motor.

[/yeah, there are two different type of motors. Diseqc 1.2's run on either 13/18v power supply while the *other kind runs on 36v supply and if you are using a STB, a 36v motor needs an extra interface to control it although some recievers do include this. Diseqc 1.2 interfaces are standard on all STB these days as it only software interface and the power for the motor is supplied via the coax. The only real difference is the speed at which this dish will move. A 36V motor will obviously move quickest so if you are using a Disqec 1.2 motor make sure that when you are hopping from channel to channel of different birds then for a channel thats polarised horizontally to make to move quciker]

This is the one area a Skystar 2 will let you down [regardless if you choose a Diseqc 1.2 motor of 36v one]. As technisat wont build a diseqc 1.2 interface into the drivers you will need an external box to control the motor.

I would imagine that an actuator would be more exposed to the elements given it postion and how it operates but they are more robust in their constuction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

what about NASN on sky digi?
    what do they show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

If going by the Sky Digital route, these are the channels each sport is on....

NBA - Sky Sports
    NFL - Sky Sports
    NHL - NASN (www.nasn.com) and Channel 5
    MBL - NASN and Channel 5.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by chernobyl
    Personally if i wanted to save cash i would not go for a set top box but get a Skystar2 from EON as it is heavily subsidized..im not sure of the price but i think its like €60.

A Skystar2 is without question the best piece of hardware in DVB satellite today <snip>

Thjanks.
    I think a Skystar2 is essentially same as a Hauppauge Nova but cheaper?

I have the Hauppauge PCI DVBs which is running the Technotrend "Premium" SW. It seems similar to "newer" Nexus.

Reading EON boards it seems the SkyStar is better for multiple data streams (Is there problem on 5+ on some cards?). The Card I have works fine on Casablanca Data streams (SatAtOnce / Lucy Newsgroups push etc)

It works fine as a PVR (BBC comming soon :D ). It also plays back MPEG2 on CD, SVCD and DVD direct in its DSP chip to TV set, but not VOB DVD files sadly. Won't play MPEG1. But seems happy with any bitrate and resolution of MPEG2, not just the offical DVBs / DVD / SVCD ones!

There is 3rd party sw I tried on Win98 called DVB2000 I think(?) which alleges to do Disqec positioning. It seemed a badly writen "hack" of Technotrend's SDK which I got and could use on XP for Diseq positioning if I knew the protocol. I played with raw recording, OSD graphics and text and remote control using the SDK, but for everyday use on XP I use the downloaded "premium" version card software from www.technotrend.de who seem to make cable, DTT and DSat cards for lots of folk.

Perhaps the Skystar2 has got the DSP chip and Philips Mulimedia bridge and it is SkyStar1 is just the Tuner only?

Oh :-) New version on technotrend with Learning of RC5 remote! Must install. Downloading......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by watty
    If home is USA, Canada or possibly bits of Greenland :D

I heard that Actuator jacks can rust/seize up easier than a motor, so I was thinking of a motor, perhaps cheaper in longer term.

Any recommendations?

Actually its the othe way around, motors IE HH Mounts fail much more often than jack actuators which are also much quicker at moving between satellites.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Originally posted by Tony
    [ motors IE HH Mounts fail much more often than jack actuators which are also much quicker at moving between satellites.
    Tony

Arrrgh....

Bangs head with LNB...
    Any more votes from folks using these thingymbobs before I spend my money?

Is a Jack more limited on East/West swing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

I've 45e - 45w with an actuator, it's been running on a 2m dish with no probs for the past 3 years.

Originally posted by watty

Oh :-) New version on technotrend with Learning of RC5 remote! Must install. Downloading......

New 2.15 version even finding channels the earlier 2.10 didn't also seems madly better with TV OSD option etc and learning remote

• Advertisement
Advertisement