Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drivers you don't want to meet

Options
  • 30-04-2003 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

For me the worst drivers on the road fall into 3 categories:-

1) Young Males who drive too fast
    Dangerous to meet on a bend or on a main road that requires some real driving. They are normally winging it in a car and shouldn't be behind a wheel. This coupled with their speed and over confidence makes them lethal.

2) Belligerent Merc Drivers
    These are normally middle aged men who's only goal in life was to own a Merc. They've got a Merc and think they have made it. These type of drives don't bother to indicate, drive in the middle of the road, expect to be given the right of way and are very aggressive.

3)Dosy Female Drivers
    You know the type that flap at traffic lights. Jam on the brakes with no warning and for no good reason. Are slow to take off because they are checking hair or make-up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Catogary 4.

God damn olds. Either crawling along in the middle of the road doin 30mph in a 60 zone or wandering all over the shop. ie indicate left, turn right etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Groups 2 and 3 have a corollary for 4x4 drivers. Despite the fact that there's no offroad section of the M50, and you can fit just as many shopping bags in a large 5 door hatchback, these people feel the need to spend the budget of a small country on wasting petrol or diesel. They are also under the illusion that they are as big as a bus, and so need to drive right on the white line and take 300 meters to change lane, for fear that they may strike another vehicle.

Tossers :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

id like to add a rider to Category 4

Those olds that think they are being nice sticking to the hard shoulder to let you pass, except they drive on BOTH lanes, taking up the hard shoulder AND the lane in question.

Tho not JUST olds, but average of drivers in question tend to be of that age category

Category 5
    Fog lights.
    On.
    Constantly.

It could be a crystal clear night, yet they make damn sure to blind you at every turn, whether in front OR in your rear mirrors. Category 5 is my PET HATE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Category 6 (?)

Applies more to the USA I guess, but S.U.V. drivers who think they own the road just because their cars are almost as big as their egos. Their talent for tailgateing knows no bounds.

... and as a glasses wearer with sensitive eyes, I agree fully on Category 5. Grrr :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

something for me personally cos i have that speed tracking thing,

people who are are stuck on cruise control *ahem*

ie 70mph zone they do 50,
    60mph zone they do 50,
    30mph zone they do.... 50.

Its near impossible for me to pass out a person doing 50 with my little car with out breaking the speed limit, on on the rare occasions you do get past them they're up your arse as soon as you come to a 30mph zone, ahhh I dunno.
    Those olds that think they are being nice sticking to the hard shoulder to let you pass, except they drive on BOTH lanes, taking up the hard shoulder AND the lane in question.

still not as bad as those bastardin sand trucks and car carriers that do 30, slowing to 20 going around corners in an area where the average driver would normally do 50-60, there are plenty of places for them to pull into the hard shoulder and let a few people pass safely rather than causing a tailback for 3miles. They are not the only ones but usually the worst.

One more while i'm thinking about it.

People who ride the back of another slower vechicle but never actually pass it. They seem to find all the straights far too easy for them and tend to wait till just before a seris of bends, maybe they have a grudge against the world and are happying knowing that they got past the vechicle at the last possible place and left everyone else stuck there for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by GoneShootin

Category 5
    Fog lights.
    On.
    Constantly.

LMAO - Usually a ford fiesta. Around the `88 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I find Micra's to be the worst for fog lights. Their so damn bright iswell, brighter than most other fog lights IMO.

for me its been fiesta, especially the later models, that fall into my foglight category

Its near impossible for me to pass out a person doing 50 with my little car with out breaking the speed lim

i always assumed it was "ok" to go past the speed limit to overtake once you drop back to the limit when past him.
    i mean your hardly gona do it within 30-40 mph zones, well unless the thing in front is doing 10-15mph. but where you would bust that limit is say at 50mph, as you were saying Gideon.

I drive a 1994 Citroen ZX - 1.4 . Theres no way in hell im gona overtake a car at 50 safely without hitting 65-70. Overtaking isnt about taking all day on the other side of the road just to keep the limit, its about getting past that fúcker that youve been behind for the last 20 miles waiting for the safe chance. And when you get it, damned the limit, your gone ! (to return again to the limit of course )

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Parents who can't control their kids in the car and then hit someone. People who don't indicate. People who don't give you room when passing. Drivers who insist on using the pedestrian crossing in stop-start traffic. People who drive work machines (JCBs, diggers, etc.) on roads. People who park on narrow road with solid white lines. Trucks that think they can magically fit into the cycle lane while parking :rolleyes: . People who get caught speeding in known black spots / speed traps. People who don't know how to use a roundabout. The engineers who designed the M50 roundabouts. People who drive to the corner shop. Drivers who go the wrong way up a one way street and give you the 2 fingers when you point out their error. Ditto with people with no headlights at night. People who use the cycle lane as a stop line - and stop 4 feet after it. Silver Merc and BMW drivers (need I say more?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

for me its been fiesta, especially the later models, that fall into my foglight category

Its near impossible for me to pass out a person doing 50 with my little car with out breaking the speed lim

i always assumed it was "ok" to go past the speed limit to overtake once you drop back to the limit when past him.
    i mean your hardly gona do it within 30-40 mph zones, well unless the thing in front is doing 10-15mph. but where you would bust that limit is say at 50mph, as you were saying Gideon.

I drive a 1994 Citroen ZX - 1.4 . Theres no way in hell im gona overtake a car at 50 safely without hitting 65-70. Overtaking isnt about taking all day on the other side of the road just to keep the limit, its about getting past that fúcker that youve been behind for the last 20 miles waiting for the safe chance. And when you get it, damned the limit, your gone ! (to return again to the limit of course )

heh heh i drive a 1L starlet and it takes strategic planning :)

ah no i totally agree with you, its with the sat tracking thing it monitors your speed and i think you have to stay with in the speed limit within 95% of the time regardless. I actually said it to them when i was there what about over taking, obivously the quicker you can to it safely the better, their stance on it was more along the lines if you can't do it with out breaking the limit then don't.

Break it 3 times and bye bye insurance :( still haven't got any warnings yet, meant get one a month haven't got any in the last 3 months should really ring them up about it, thinking about it now.

More and more truck drivers are going into the outter lane and proceed at a speed which is less than that of the inside lane, same for few cars, just but just getting pissed off with the trucks lately, i go past two (that i know of) sand quarries and there are always sand trucks. Not only do they slow you down but the state of the car after a few minutes behind them, if its wet it doesn't matter how far behind the truck you are, the car gets covered, water bottle filled up every morning etc'

I love it when its dry and sunny, can wash the car and its clean for a whole two weeks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Taxi drivers are a huge annoyance to me. They never seem to indicate and they never let people off at junctions etc. They also tend to be very aggressive drivers too.

I think that anyone reaching the age of 65 should have to re-sit the driving test also. I hear old people moaning on about how they've been driving for 40 years without a crash but the roads were incredibly less busy back then. It would be interesting to see just what percentage of them would pass the driving test. I'd imagine it would be significantly below the current average country-wide pass rates.

ive thought about that aswell

althought id recommend a mandatoy re-sit of the exam, theory AND practical, every 10 years. maybe even 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

ive thought about that aswell

althought id recommend a mandatoy re-sit of the exam, theory AND practical, every 10 years. maybe even 5.

Agreed, that's probably a better idea than what I said. Although judging by the back log of people waiting to do the test now, it would be a nightmare.

Why not have a mandatory theory exam every year that might take 15-60 minutes?

wat good would that do ? most of the theory sticks in the head from puttin it to practise. that wouldnt swing imo

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by John2002
    Agreed, that's probably a better idea than what I said. Although judging by the back log of people waiting to do the test now, it would be a nightmare.

Not really. They just need to drastically increase the number of testers, and all will be solved. That's the main problem. Our population is tiny compared to the UK's, yet over there, you wait until you're ready for your test, apply, and you take it the next week. How do they make it work? More testers.

You could even give traffic Gardai a rough course in what to look for, and they could be used to supplement the testers until the bulk of the backlog is reduced.

wat good would that do ? most of the theory sticks in the head from puttin it to practise. that wouldnt swing imo
    It would refresh people on the Rules of the Road (which people tend to forget - see list above) and they won't be able to say "Oh, I've been driving for 30 years and we never had a motorway in Galway before, I didn't know I couldn't drive my tractor on it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I have to say that the worst people are parents who ensure that they are nicely snug in the front with all their safety belts on and about 300 airbags and then let their kids stand up in the back between the two front seats. It only takes the slightest bit of breaking to sent the kid through the front windscreen

Hyzepher

<<<<<<<<

indeed, Category 8 :D

AND, they feed/wash/hit/birth the child WHILE driving. madness

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Parents on the school run are evil with their little satan spawn in the back of the car. Why the devil do they but 7 seater Armoured Personnel Carriers when they only have 2 kids and don't have the common decency to organise a school run with the little runts compadres?

They park (or attempt to park) their cars in the most ridiculous manner, sticking out all over the place. One thing I've noticed, especially in the more expensive cars, is that the women *never* take off their sunglasses. It could be thick fog and the things still stay on.

If I ever become Minister for Education, I promise that all schools will be built with moats, hills, swamps and boulders surrounding them so that they *have* to use the bloody 4x4s in the manner they were intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

One thing I've noticed, especially in the more expensive cars, is that the women *never* take off their sunglasses. It could be thick fog and the things still stay on.

Ok, I almost always wear my shades while driving..... It's not always a vanity thing, well for me it isn't, I do a fair bit of driving (expecting to be around 35k miles this year) and I have to wear shades unless it's nearly dark (by dark I mean when most muppets in this country start to think about maybe turning on their lights) the glare on the glass just makes my eyes tired. staring at pc screens all day prolly don't help either.

one of my lesser peeves is when driving on a country road sometimes I stick my little nose out because things look clear, I realise that there's a car coming, a distance off (i wouldn't have started otherwise) So i rethink my decision and pull back in (often I *could" have made it) and then when the on coming car comes along I get this big flashing and horns and waving of fists thing..... Fine if I had gone, but I've pulled back in long before the oncoming car would even have to think about possibly considering looking at the brake pedal. (just annoys me)

but my real issues are twofold, muppets who drive in the climbing lane by default, complete and total lack of indicating, and fools who sit 10 feet behind the outside corner of a truck for two miles, on the white line, who won't overtake (because it's not safe), but yet are happy to drive ridiculously close to a truck that could have to make a sudden stop.

My biggest motoring dissappointment happens on my way to work, I drive past a regular speed trap on a climbing lane and if someone behind me is being a muppet I approach the climbing lane at 60, right on the white line and then pull in just at the start of it, letting them shoot on up the hill. Unfortunately there's never any guards there to meet them when I do that.....

someday..... someday

note to motorists, tailgating and harrasing an old 405 estate near mitchelstown could cost you penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by JohnBoy
    note to motorists, tailgating and harrasing an old 405 estate near mitchelstown could cost you penalty points.

LOL :)

lol, mitchelstown and its errartic police force. as i can well attest to :D

Advertisement