Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nesting of forum in Community isn't serving me well.

Options
  • 30-04-2003 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've noticed that not as many people as I'd like are visiting the MIJAG forum.
    Now part of this may be due to "MIJAG" not being the most intuitive forum heading in the world and I'm thinking about changing it since MIJAG as an organisation is a particularly deactive activist group at the moment which is why IrelandOffline forum is still rather busy although boards.ie seems to be quiet for the last few weeks thanks to good weather and exams.

My problem is MIJAG is nested down in Community away from peoples view.
    Not a lot new gets posted to MIJAG so new threads don't appear on the front page of boards.ie leading people to MIJAG.
    I've concentrated on building a couple of useful stickies which I know have saved many board members hundreds of Euros and I'd like others to save money too. The insurance companies aren't going to tell people how to save money and there are few other places where they'll get advice on reducing premiums.

Any chance I can be moved to a more prominent position. Not necessarily straight away but some time in the future.

Is the forum worth having round. Has it helped enough people to justify it's continued existence?

Rgds,

Geoff.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Even as a non-car owner I think its a good resource!

We can see what to do about making it more promenient (my initial thoughts would be to create Mijag.boards.ie as a dns entry)... or whatever you end up calling it.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Thanks Devore.

rather than playing with DNS I was thinking more along the lines of making it more easily accessible to the boards.ie viewers in general rather than making it more accessible from outside boards.ie.
    There is already a link to it on mijag.com which brings in some traffic.

Although perhaps a DNS entry might make it easier for Google or other search engines to generate traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Hi Mailman,

I dunno, but maybe the name, MIJAG is not as snappy a name as IrelandOFFline? It doesn't automatically bleat out "Bad car insurance" to me, and although you have been doing well as a lobby group, a more snazzy name than an acronym would serve you better, more publicity?

Quick example, 15 years ago, the biggest independent grouping on Cavan County Council was the Cavan Road Action Group. It so easily could've been called the Cavan Road Action Party. Think about it....

In fairness, I think MIJAG sounds like a lobby group for folk from Foxrock. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Tbh I didnt know what MIJAG was for ages, but it when I found out I was very interested what with being under 25.
    Firstly change the name, then put a permanent sticky on motors.

-That is all

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We could move it under Motors (similarly to the DHL board under Komplett).

Also, I always refer to it as "My Jag" which I suppose does sound like some posh knob's pressure group :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

That looks good.

Its relevant!

Moved. lets see how that goes.

All links will remain viable.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It doesnt seem to be appearing on the main http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/ place.
    I only get it when I click on http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by DeVore
    posh knob's pressure group

Fnarr.

sheesh! talk about taking a quote out of context :)

Yes, its only accessible through the motors forum atm. I'll make an announcement in a week or two once we are happy with where it is. I think its better there anyway...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Thank you.

I think I'm happier with it's new location but those who are used to going to community\activism might think the board has been wound up.

Never the less, I'm thinking it's new location makes more sense.
    Is Neil3030 happy with it's new location and that he has just been made mod of another forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

/me raises his thumb and nods his head vigourously.

Jut saw this when I logged in now. Great idea.

Originally posted by Mailman
    Thank you.

I think I'm happier with it's new location but those who are used to going to community\activism might think the board has been wound up.

Never the less, I'm thinking it's new location makes more sense.
    Is Neil3030 happy with it's new location and that he has just been made mod of another forum?

I'll make an announcement once the Supporters Pack one has run its course to tell people whats going on.

I didnt realise Neil3030 would be automatically made co-mod of the forum... that wasnt in the plan! I'll look into it, it may be a "feature" of VBB.

DeV.

Ok, after extensive investigation (read: I poked it with a stick) it would seem that it IS a feature of VBB and one that cannot be turned off!

Poo-biscuits.

I'll talk to Neil3030 and see what his feelings are on it. There may be an alternative thats EVEN BETTER [tm]

DeV.

I had a sit and a think about this one. It takes all my energy to focus my laser beam like braincell on stuff like this but I have come up with what I think is the ULTIMATE SOLUTION (queue dramatic music).

I've moved Mijag *back* under activism where people will find it as usual and I've created an announcement on the Motors board (only) which will last until June 2006 which links to the Mijag forum.

Hurrah.

I just wish I could see my face 3 years from now when it, for no apparent reason, disappears. I get my kicks from things like that.

Anyway.... better solution you think??

DeV.

It will get pushed off the announcement spot when I do site wide announcements but will still be visible in the "announcement" thread if you click in to read the site-wide one. When the site wide announcment goes away, it will take its position back as the most recent active announcement on top of the forum.

Clever, 'innit!

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by DeVore
    I just wish I could see my face 3 years from now when it, for no apparent reason, disappears. I get my kicks from things like that.

Surely the aim is to have shot all the corrupt insurance folk by then?

• Advertisement

I like the way you think....

DeV.

Advertisement