Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heatshrink ..... How is it used?

Options
  • 30-04-2003 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at some mods around the place and I've come across this "Heatshrink" stuff quite a bit. I saw some of it in Maplins the other day and it looks just like the cover of a wire.
    So how does this stuff work?

I presume you slide your wire through it before you do your alterations and some how heat it to make it shrink around the wire when you're done.
    How do you heat it?? Do you just put a lighter to it? Or is there a more professional way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

there's nothing professional about it!

heatshrink is great for covering exposed wires. all you have to do is cut off the length you need, slip it onto the wire, and heat it up. you can use a lighter or a soldering iron or whatever, just make sure you don't overheat it so that it starts to burn. you'll know yourself when you're doing it.

one go is all the experience you'll ever need to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Yeah a hair dryer does the business.
    First time i messed up cause i used a lighter but the hairdryer solved the problem.
    Very handy stuff, must get some more next time i'm there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Thank you.
    I guess I'll give it a go so :)

Advertisement