Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing icons in Win 2K pro

Options
  • 30-04-2003 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

I was trying to change the icon for the PDF files in win2K and I right-clicked a pdf and selected properties, thinking this would give me the option. It didn't :(
    So what I want to know is how I would go about changing the icon. I just can't seem to find it myself!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Well apart from moving menu's and renaming things and disabling features in the "home" versions they are still fairly similar.

For shortcuts - each can have it's own icon.
    But for file types all file must use the same icon - hence why you can't change it.

Folder - view - options - file types
    go down through the list till you find the one you want to change - again all files with the same extension will now take the same icon (the defaults are icons stored in the associated program itself - you can choose others from other programs - explorer.exe / moreicons.dll )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

You were a little off (and you didn't actually say how to change it!) But I've figured it out anyway.

If you click on the "Tools" menu and select "Folder Options".
    This will open a dialog box with 4 tabs at the top. Click on "File Types" and wait for the list to appear.
    Select the type of file you want to change the icon for and then click advanced.
    Click "change icon" and then "Browse" in the dialog box that pops up.
    Navigate to the icon file or to the program which uses that icon (select the program executable). This should then show all the icons available below.
    Select the icon you want and click "OK" and you're sorted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nope - I'm right - M$ haven't made the user interface backwardly compatible (one of the reasons why I'm still not upgraded to 2000 never mind XP).

eg:
    wait for the list to appear. - no real wait in earlier versions :) Select the type of file you want to change the icon for and then click advanced. - another extra bloody button to press.

My pet hate in all new versions of windows is the way the inteface is getting slower especially when you have to hunt through sub menus for something they have renamed.
    (eg: Try to find out which tape is in a drive in NTBackup on Windows 2000 - in NT the most you have to do is File - Tape )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I found a nice handy application that can do this. It can do individual icons or you can apply whole icon themes to windows. I'm not usually one for bloatware (what I'd normally call this) but it seems quite good.

Its called Icon Packager, Its part of some suite called Object Desktop.
    The link in the about stuff is www.iconzone.com

Advertisement