Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs This Weekend...

Options
  • 30-04-2003 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

FUTURE KINGS OF SPAIN
    plus special guests BOXES

Friday 2 May 2003 - Temple Bar Music Centre
    Doors 7.30pm - Tickets 12.50

About to release their second single ("Your Starlight") from their eponymous debut album, FUTURE KINGS OF SPAIN are (sad fact) the only Irish band to headline a show as part of this year's Green Energy Festival. They are joined by the fantastic BOXES for a cracking opener to the weekend.

HOT HOT HEAT
    plus special guests TEN SPEED RACER

Saturday 3 May 2003 - Whelan's of Wexford Street
    Doors 8pm - Tickets 14 euro

The toast of the music (toilet) papers right now, HOT HOT HEAT sound less like products of The Strokes' Finishing School and more like The Cure mainlining with The mAKE-uP. Tours with Les Savy Fav and Radio 4 have smartened them up no end - the album has some fantastic moments. The original special guest was to be HAR MAR SUPERSTAR - a classic cross between Prince, Gold Chains and Ron Jeremy - but he waws forced to pull out of the gig due to illness (check out the quote: "Apparently I've got a pirate's disease called shingles. I'm really sorry I had to cancel the shows but I didn't want to give everyone in the UK chest herpes. I'm still the ****ing best and I'll be living in the UK all summer so you'll get enough of me then. . Saving the day will be TEN SPEED RACER in the special guest slot.

SOLEDAD BROTHERS
    plus special guests PEARLENE

Sunday 4 May 2003 - Whelan's of Wexford Street
    Doors 8pm - Tickets 14.50

SOLEDAD BROTHERS:
    Yes - they're part of the "up Detroit" revolution.
    Yes - they're dead blues-y
    Yes - they've been produced by Jack White (Stripe)
    Yes - they're deadly.

Special guests: PEARLENE

GOLD CHAINS
    plus special guests

Monday 5 May 2003 - Whelan's of Wexford Street
    Doors 8pm - Tickets 15

He raps about his electronic equipment, he samples Stereolab classics, and “hypno babes” rule his pants! Meet Topher LaFata aka GOLD CHAINS – one of the new breed of electro-pioneers, ready to conquer the world with his one-man show. Imagine a point somewhere between T Rex and Timbaland and you’re kinda close. Born in Pennsylvania, LaFata was a product of the skateboarding-and-hardcore scene, before his background in electronics taught him what he needed to get GOLD CHAINS off the ground. “Rock The Party” (an early single, that) featured a sample of the incessant guitar line from Stereolab’s “Crest” initially turned the heads, but it’ll be the debut album (“Young Miss America”) that will take them clean off the shoulders – a perfect maelstrom of punk, rap, hip-hop, funk, ragga, electro booty-bass...

BEANS - ex. Anti-Pop Consortium
    plus special guests MESSIAH J & THE EXPERT (ex. Creative Controle)

Monday 5 May 2003 - TBMC
    Doors 8pm - Tickets 16.50

Hip-hop rebel. Wordsmith extraordinaire. Sonic architect. Fashion renegade. Published poet. Culture star. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the bright new world of BEANS, aka Mr. Ballbeam, and former member of Anti-pop Consortium (the influential avant-hip hop trio who disbanded in 2001).

“I’ve always been just as interested in what Autechre or Aphex Twin are doing right now as Jay-Z or Mos Def,” Beans explains simply. “There’s a long relationship between hip hop and electro and I think now hip hop is less scared of letting its barriers slip. Modern hip hop is starting to realise the debt owed to it by electronic music. And we’re calling in that debt!”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 catch urself on

Thanks for cleaning up the Soledad Brothers support band confusion. Orginally the Kills, who I would have loved to see though I trust their judgement and look forward to Pearline.

Bleeding great band. I wasnt able to make their gig in December in Da2 and was delighted when it was postponed.

Drummer also engaged (if not already married) to Meg White.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭madouva

Classic!
    Didn't want to take the tabloid route on the Soledad/Meg White link.

Shoulda' done.

Could be a great weekend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 catch urself on

Sorry, I just couldnt not highlight the incest!!

I have to say Jack White can really spot talent - have you checked out Whirlwind heat, signed to his label?

www.whirlwindheat.com

Advertisement