Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Georgia just beat Russia 1-0

• 30-04-2003 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

so the table now looks like this

Group Ten

OVERALL P W D L F A Pts
    Swiss 4 2 2 0 7 3 8
    Russia 4 2 0 1 9 6 6
    Albania 4 1 2 1 5 6 5
    Ireland 4 1 1 2 5 7 4
    Georgia 4 0 1 2 2 6 4

we have 4 games left

3 home and 1 away

we are right back in with a great chance to get into Euro 2004 now. by the time russia and switzerland come around in autumn we will have a full strength squad while albania and georgia in the summer should be beaten at home

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Class. That should be a big boost for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

that has really thrown the group wide open again alright all the teams in the group can still qualify!
    Hopefully we can do the business at home and hope for a result away to switzerland and that mite still only get us the play offs.
    Holland
    Belguim
    Turkey
    nedd i say any more:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

still though its a bit of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Originally posted by sleepwalker
    so the table now looks like this

Group Ten

OVERALL P W D L F A Pts
    Swiss 4 2 2 0 7 3 8
    Russia 4 2 0 1 9 6 6
    Albania 4 1 2 1 5 6 5
    Ireland 4 1 1 2 5 7 4
    Georgia 4 0 1 2 2 6 4

Basically you're right, but shouldnt the table look something like this?

OVERALL P W D L F A Pts
    Swiss 4 2 2 0 7 3 8
    Russia 4 2 0 2 9 7 6
    Albania 4 1 2 1 5 6 5
    Ireland 4 1 1 2 5 7 4
    Georgia 4 1 1 2 3 6 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

Holland would be a massive challenge

Belgium on the other hand would be very beatable

Turkey will qualify automatically because they will beat England at home and win their remainding games

so who knows possibly an Ireland vs England playoff :)

but who knows the group is there to be won if the lads play to their potential

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's only when you see these results roll in that you realise what a truely crap group of teams we're up against and how we could have been qualified by June had we not blown it in the first games.

Consider we had beaten Switzerland last Oct and drawn with Russia we'd have been leading this group by 3 points right now - with three home games still to play!

I guess I am to be in my cold cold grave before Ireland ever make it easy for themselves in a qualifying group. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Where's the excitement in an easy qualifying group?
    If we did what was expected at the start and got auto promotion without losing a game, the team would get the usual big cheers and such, but now that we've lost two games and are making a comeback, if we can qualify from a play-off, the country will go mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

That's a great result for the Irish. I reckon the Irish have a great chance of winning the group now and especially since the newxt few games we should have a full compliment squad. Hopefully Kerr will give the Morrison and Keane partnership a go up front and stick Duff on the left or maybe even a free role behind the front two.

*getting all excited now;) *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

ye, i like this free Duff role, this team looks good

________________GIVEN________________
    ________CUN'HAM____O'SHEA__________
    _CARR______________________FINNAN__
    ______REID__KINSELLA_HOLLAND______
    _________________DUFF________________
    ___________KEANE____MORRISSON_____

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

well we have to win these 3 home games
    and presuming switz and russia win at home to alabania and geogia respectively...

Ireland 7 (4-1-2) 13
    Swiss 5 (3-2-0) 11
    Russia 6 (3-0-3) 9

that leaves 3 games to consider:
    switz-russia, russia-switz, irl-switz

then the result we need in switz
    depends on the outcome of the two games between russia and switz.
    if switz win one we'll have to beat them away to win the group,
    if they draw and lose, then a draw will be enough for us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ChiGung

I agree with Knobbles team formation - it's the strongest team we have. It would take some beating. Do people agree with it or would you make a few changes? ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hmm,

I'd consider Delap for a midfield berth, also we could put O Shea in midfield and play another centre half (O''Brien, Dunne , Breen).

Given the weakness of our midfield, and O Shea's ability, i'd consider playing him in midfiled in home matches, as he adds an attacking option.

Plus McAteer is not a favourite of mine, but he's hoping to be fit for the qualifiers, and may feature.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

4 games must = 12 points no less.
    May have a shout for auto qual and hopefully russia will draw with swiss.

kdjac

Advertisement