Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fooling the Insurance Company

Options
  • 30-04-2003 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Does anyone know what would happen if I was to do this.

I had an accident 3 years ago, on my mothers policy. The person I hit claimed, but i wasnt convicted or anything.
    This has meant basically no driving for me for the past 3 years cos of the price of insurance. What would happen now if I was to go get a quote, as first time insurance, take it and say I am accident free for the past 5 years?

Any help? The bad side is that first time insurance is quite high anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Basically it would mean that sure, you had a policy and disc to put on the windscreen, but the ins co's are wise to this obvious route.

By signing to the insurance agreement, you are signing a contract. If any information "provided by you" is not true, the contract is invalid.

You can say you've been claim free for 10 years or 70; without an NCB proof you are a new driver, full risk and all. So they woudl quote you as a new driver (expensive) and if *anything* at all happened, you'd prob find out soon enough that they will cancel your policy because you lied.

I just got new insurance, and although I had 4 years NCB, they didn't give a fig about any other named driver claim free times from when I was younger. All they cared about was a signed doc by the other company saying claim free for 4 years a primary driver.

If anything is incorrect, the insurance certificate and agreement is invalid. It's a risk *I* wouldn't take!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 mrvolcano

You see this is the only way I can get insurance first time in my own name. Can't I just sign the document saying I never had a 'last policy', and so I never had any claims? Would I get cops or court stuff on my back or anything? Or would I have to just drive really really carefully and make sure noone ever hit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

You would basically be telling lies if you went ahead with your idea. Your insurance would be useless in the event of ANY accident.

"Or would I have to just drive really really carefully and make sure noone hit me ?"

DON'T BE STUPID !

How could you stop another driver hitting your car !!!

You won't be "Fooling the Insurance Company" - You will be fooling yourself !

I, Mr Volcano, wish to confirm that I have had no insurance since my last policy ended on - blank(cos I never had a policy, only as a named driver 3 years ago), and I have had no accidents, claims, or convictions.

**** it. I am going to do it. Other than that I can spend the next 2 years relying on Dublins great transport system, which I am tbh sick to the teeth of.

See you all in hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

you are a stupid dangerous **** mrvolcano, i hope you get caught out before you have an accident with no insurance.

• Advertisement

It is a little silly from that point of view. But on the other hand, why should society's games stop me from living my life? The rules of the road, insurance and every other money making scheme, that they use to control what we do are a denial of basic human rights. The insurance game (in ireland) is sick and it's a pity I should have to resort to this.

(True the rules of the road should exist, but for Gods sake these days it's like a ****ing degree to be passed.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

seriously mrvolcano, go **** yourself please and take your whinging moaning pityfull attempt to justify driving with no insurance and stick it up your ass.

maybe if you'd been in a serious accident and had any idea of the legal and medical costs involved afterwards, you'd see the point of insurance. insurance is not a 'money making scheme', yes its overpriced but it is necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Go right ahead and drive with no insurance. When you are in a crash and are found in any responsible for anything, have fun paying cash for fixing the other person's car, and more importantly, paying them compensation for that broken limb or dead kid.

Like it or, you *need* insurance, just to make sure that the cost is less. And a grand or two for possibly massive financial help in a court case if things do all go horribly wrong (and no-one expects them to, but sometimes it just does).

Or you car gets stolen? Would you also cancel home and life insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

*sniff* *sniff*
    There's an awful troll-like smell around here.

Mr Volcano, if you have a full licence, then the insurance company know that you must have been insured at some point. They will ask you who your previous insurer was, and when your policy expired, and they'll check up on you.

You can lie if you like, but if/when you crash and have to present yourself in court, you're screwed. Unless you want to keep digging the hole and lie to the court. At which point you're even more screwed. OK, that's a bit OTT, but if you have an accident, you'd be lucky if the insurance company don't go and find out that you've had an accident before. They'll do everything they can to avoid paying.

Get a motorbike. Insurance is expensive enough for the first year, but once you get a full licence it drops considerably, and your previous car history has no bearing on your insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I'm on volcano's side on this one, he was probably young and careless...it was 3 years ago he had a smash and its only in ireland that this **** goes on...near enuff any other country and he'd be able to afford insurance after stating he was in a crash.

My advice sir, fill in the form but make sure its with a different insurance company than you were last with (it must be or you wouldn't of gotten an affordable quote) even if you do have a crash (hopefully not) there's a very small chance you'll get found out, the ppl that work in claims dont usually check up with other insurance company's wheather you were insured or not unless their very bored. You could be really unlucky and run into some fecker thats insured with the last company you were with tho.

Once you get a years no claims bonus under yer belt yer away tho, 3 years of not driving using public transport will have thought you just how valuable a car really is i hope.

Farlz

• Advertisement

well that would be the plan if the details go through. I will drive as little as possible and basically just keep the car and insurance for a year, then live properly with it next year when I have my 1 years to work off. Cheaper in the longrun you'll find, even if I wasn't to drive the car at all the whole year.
    I am looking into the motorbike alternative at the mo though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Is this thread not ten times worse than any banned warez thread? Sure, warez is stealing, but this crap driver wants to pay less for the chance to go out and kill someone!

Nog, instead of using profanity at him, can't you just close the thread, and get this guy's boards account removed?

So what if insurance costs a lot. Breaking the law and putting peoples' wellbeing at risk isn't the way to get around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by mrvolcano
    Does anyone know what would happen if I was to do this.
    Well, you did ask, so I'll tell you.

That's a lie significant enough that your insurance policy would be void. Not voidable (as in changing your address and forgetting to tell the insurance company (details incorrect but they won't exercise their right to void the contract)). It would be void from the word go. Which would mean that if you're in an accident you won't be covered. Writing a significant material untruth on your application form is also a criminal offence. As is driving without insurance (which you would be, your policy being void and all that).

This is obviously working on the assumption that the insurance company will find out. If they do, you'll find yourself in civil and criminal court (and get those lovely penalty points for driving without insurance (which will follow you for three years)) before you can take a breath.

I haven't addressed the moral dimension at all so it's a waste of time replying to my post using the "insurance is so bloody expensive" line.

You could try a company (if there are any) that only ask about the last three years.

I think I will get a bike after all that.
    Higher chance of having an accident on a bike but hey, insurance costs will come down alot more.
    thanks for lending your most valuable opinions...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

In reply to Sceptre i honestly don't think all that you say would happen, that would be a very extreme case where say you hit a person and would be up on manslaughter as well or something similar to that.

In my time working in the insurance industry i've noticed that more and more ppl are taking the way mrvolcano mentions out of paying phenomonal insurance costs. A lot of the time people don't have much of a choice because a car can be a necessity in many lives.

Farlz

on a side note, i like the way australia works....insure the car if you want, if you dont then dont its upto you cops don't bother about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Farls
    In reply to Sceptre i honestly don't think all that you say would happen, that would be a very extreme case where say you hit a person and would be up on manslaughter as well or something similar to that.
    Oh, you're right of course - I just listed out the "extreme case" scenario. It'd be enough for me tbh.

Advertisement