Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband in real life???

Options
  • 30-04-2003 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

hi all,

first let me say thank you to everyone here for presenting the reality of internet access in ireland.i returned from working in the uk in late december hoping things would have improved.foolish.while over there i had a 1meg dsl line for £30 a month.came back and utv was the best around.no need 2 say more really.

my question is are any of the adsl or radsl offerings *really* any good or worth the money?they say they only gaurntee 265k. and 50:1 contention is madness in my book.and the cap is the real kicker.i visited a freind in tallaght today who has ntl 600k cable service and found it reasonable.dont live there though lol.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

The oonly one thats even worth considering is netsource they dont have a cap on their product its a little dearer at 66 euro inc vat, unfortunately is the same 256 k dl

But its better than esat and eircoms radsl anyday for the no cap alone

www.netsource.ie will tell you all you need to know

SHIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Flashman

Irish Broadband has worked pretty well for me. But it has very limited availability, and is known for bad performance in some cases.
    But no cap and 50e a month, if you can get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Why the problem with the 50:1 contention ratio?

I have in front of me a current UK Web magazine listing all broadband ISPs in the UK.

Without exception, ratios are 50:1 until you start paying over £70 (about €100) per month.

50:1 is the normal contention ratio as far as I can tell.

Have I missed something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

i cant speak about contention ratio, but the guarantee of 256k is the norm for a 512 line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 shaolinsu

50:1 contention should be pretty workable IMO. At my old school we had 128K ISDN shared for 2 labs of 30 PC's and it was fine for surfing....

• Advertisement
Advertisement