Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[b]Specific[/b] searching of header text and/or html comment text

Options
  • 30-04-2003 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Does any search engine allow specific searching of header text and/or html comment text?

Description text and keywords are indexed but can they be searched specifically, in an advanced search?

Google doesn't seem to.
    http://www.google.ie/advanced_search?hl=en
    "Occurrences: Return results where my terms occur"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

What exactly do you mean?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I reckon they mean the ability to lock a search down to elements in the head (META tags) or comments in the BODY. I've never seen anything like that on any of the major search engines myhandle.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I reckon they mean the ability to lock a search down to elements in the head (META tags) or comments in the BODY. I've never seen anything like that on any of the major search engines myhandle.

adam

Yes, thats what I mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I think I get it now.
    If it's for internal use you could use a spider to pull the content out for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't think so. My EOY project this year was a metasearcher, so I've had a look at all of the major engines, and most of them offer nothing like this. Lycos allows you to search within the title or text or both, but I don't know if that includes meta tags.

http://www.searchenginecolossus.com/ is a directory of pretty much every engine in existence, which you can trawl through if it's that important :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

myhandle, if you're looking at software solutions for local indexes, I'm not sure, but ht://Dig (google) would probably be worth a look. If it's public indexes, your best bet would be to take a poke at Google API's, although I still wouldn't hold my breath.

John McCormac might have something to say on this.

HTH,
    adam

Advertisement