Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History tips

Options
  • 30-04-2003 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

I've been looking through the History examination papers lately and trying to vaguely predict what may be on this years paper.
    I've done feck all work in History so far (no essays prepared or anything) but i need to score well enough in it for the points next year.
    I'm doing higher level and need at least a C, but hoping for a B. I know that sounds strange with the little work i've put in, but after all, i only need to do 4 essays out of 20 choices. (I have my special topic prepared)

So... i was wondering does anyone have any tips as to what may appear on this years paper?
    Was anyone at the History at Leason St.? Did they make any predictions? ... i need to cut my work down to a bare minimum as i feel it's too late to prepare essays on everything and even if i do, they'll just be rushed and done badly. So, i'm hoping to prepare maybe 6 or 7 quality essays on 6 or 7 predictions.. if they don't come up, i'll have to resort to bull****ting about something which i know little about..

Predictions/tips please...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well I'd never do this cause I need an A1, but I think most people would agree with doing 2 topics in each section.

A :

Land League
    Home Rule

B :

Cuman na ngeadheal
    Dev 32-45

C :

Germany[Biz + William II]
    France

D :

Mussolini
    Hitler

I must point out that while nearly all of these are definally goin to come up, they will come up in the form of a ****off hard question, because last years paper was so easy.

Also I think constructive unionism has come up for the last 6 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

This will for defo help you! I don't think Bismarck will make an appearance this year,

Section A:

Constructive Unionism
    Unionist Opposition
    Home Rule (All Aspects)

Section B:

Inter-Party Governments (All aspects)

Section C:

France, 1870 -1914
    Anglo German Relations

Section D:

Facism (All aspects)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

**** off, we're all gonna fail :(

Bismark will come, they took him off the paper once, once, and there was absolute outcry, everyone hated history :)

However I'd love it cause I dont like doing Bismark questions anyway :)

Also just doin the inter-parties is a bit dodgy, since they dont come up eveyr year, however CnG and Dev or a combination have come up every single year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭DSMe

Well this is what i will prepare and i think u will cover everything that will come up if u do these:

Section A :
    Parnell (Definitly!)
    Gladstone
    (although i also have

Section B :
    Unionist opposition to HR
    Cumman Na nGaedhll
    Fianna Fail 32-48

Section C :
    France , 3rd French Rep (off all of em i think this is the most certain)
    Bismark

Section D :
    Hitler (mostly internal policy)
    Mussolini
    Stalin-i havnt it done yet
    Cold War- i havnt it done yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

Unionist opposition to HR

This goes in Section A not Section B!

And section A is the one area where you could get really really screwed, hence why you should cover Parnell, Butt, Redmond, and the land league

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

The Spanish Civil War has come up practically every year.....sometimes in Section E though :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

ok, out of all of your responces + from looking through the examination papers, i've been thinking of doing these 4 essays really well:

Section A: Parnell
    Section B: Fiana Fail
    Section C: France
    Section D: maybe fasism

bare in mind that this is the bare minimum, and 4 essays is about the most that i'm prepared to do, especially when i think that the probability of those essays coming up is extremely high..

why push myself to study and know about 150 chapters and essays, when 4 will do.. (all going my way... hopefully)

i'll maybe spend 2hrs doing out "A" quality essays on each of those 4 topics... so that's a total of 8hrs study for History.. sweet

i'm hoping for somebody to say to me "what to **** are you doing.. you can't expect to do well in a Higher Level History Leaving Certificate Examination with only 8hrs study" ... but that's not the case.. it is actually possible to do well in the leaving cert with an extremely little amount of work on my behalf

now..it could go against me and i may fail the exam, but, it might just happen that my essays DO appear in this years exam and i score an A for having excellent essays prepared on what i think is going to come up ....oh, the beauty of the Irish Educational System.. /me crosses his fingers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

u r kool

• Advertisement

Who are you lying to, us or youself?

Yeah, those topics are probably going to come up, I agree, but good ****ing luck to you doing the topics they are going to give.
    Last years paper was a breeze, and the history department are not nice people.
    Parnell essay, yep it might come up, infact I'd bet a lot of oney that he will come up.
    But how ****ed will you be whne you get asked, asses Parnells involvment in the Land League and how it affected Home Rule, or asses the 3 leaders of home rule.

Fianna fial, good luck to you.
    If they ask that question, if its on its own its gona be incredibly hard, and they'd much rather combine a CnG and FF question.

France does not come up every year, you'd think you'd do bismark if you were doing anyone.

Facism is a big ****off topic, so good luck to you there. Once again the question are going to be not the nicest.

You gotta ask yourself, are you happy failing a subject?

Sure you might get a B, if you're lucky, but I doubt luck will go your way totally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i'm leaning the following:

parnell
    land
    home rule
    rise of ulster unionism

church state relations
    3rd republic
    bismarck
    william II

cuman na ngael
    FF
    dev

hitler
    mussi
    lenin
    uncle joe

i only learning a few random essays and the rest.....
    i learn the facts on all of them (as best i can)
    i just write out a big list thus

PARNELL

1875 - Entered Parliment

1876 - Mancheter Marters (gained support of Fenians)

1876 - Obstructionists

1879 - Became involed in Land Q. (saw potential at Irishtown)

1879 - Westport (" you must show the Landlord that you intend to keep a firm grip on your Homesteads & Lands")

1879 - Land League set up - Parnell as president: was to be moral orginisation.
    - Made radical speeches ("shun him in the streets...")

1881 - Gladstone intro'd Land Act as result of pressure from LL
    - Parnell saw weakness - polite to Glad, called him "masquerading knight errant" at home
    - Imprisoned
    - No Rent Manifesto
    - Country in Chaos

1882 - Kilmainham Treaty - Parnell fixed country / Glad fixed 1881 Land Act
    - Made brill speech & quit over Phonix Murders - speech was so good, they thoght he was great - no quit.

1882/5 - made party great & united

1884 - Intro'd Party Pledge
    - payed his MPs (total control)

1885 - Election - won Lib. majority (86) - gave great power
    - Ashbourne Land Act
    - Glad refused to become involved in "sordid bidding for votes"
    - played 1 party off the other

1886 - Lib/parnellite alliance

or

Land Acts

Land act 1870 - Legalised Ulster Custom (3 Fs)
    - Tenants compo for improvements made
    - Evictions for reasons other that no rent resulted
    in compo
    - Bright Clause: tenants could borrow 2/3 of price
    of land to buy it (v.few took it up)

Land act 1881 - Brought in due to high levels of evictions &
    agrarian agitation
    - Established principles of dual ownership
    - 3 Fs all over Ireland
    - Land Commission set up
    - Improved land purchase provisions

Arrears act 1882
    - Bought in due to K.T.
    - From Dual Ownership to Tenant Proprietorship

Land act 1885 - Aka Asbourne
    - Provided 5mil for Land Purchase
    - Extra staff for Land Commission

Land act 1891 - Aka Balfour
    - "Killing HR with kindness"
    - Extra 33mil for land purchase
    - Conjested Districts Board - encourage home
    indusrty in depressed west. also improved fishing,
    forestry and railways.

Wyndham act 1903
    -100mil
    - improved rate & time
    - didn't compel Landlords to sell

Birrell act 1909
    - intro'd compulsory purchase
    - empowered L.C. + C.D.B. to acquire land

STUDYING SUCKS!!!!

that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

Originally posted by ferdi
    i'm leaning the following:

parnell
    land
    home rule
    rise of ulster unionism

church state relations
    3rd republic
    bismarck
    william II

cuman na ngael
    FF
    dev

hitler
    mussi
    lenin
    uncle joe

a lot of stuff to cover..

that little tip about just writing the facts should be pretty handy... easier to remember than big essays i suppose..
    maybe its better to cover a few more topics in fact-form instead of concentrating on just a few quality essays..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 squaredog

I found this site when i was surfing the net for leaving cert websites. It's got a load of history essays on it, might come in handy. www.geocities.com/athlonelaura

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Originally posted by Scrappy]-[Nick
    maybe its better to cover a few more topics in fact-form instead of concentrating on just a few quality essays..
    *DING* :D

learn the 8 broadest/most likly essays and learn the facts for the rest. you all know how to write an essay by now, just learn the essay plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

squaredog, you beauty i can see that site coming in quite useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by Caesar_Bojangle
    squaredog, you beauty i can see that site coming in quite useful.

he first, only, and best post :)

cheers.

have written down all topics and how many times they have come up in the past papers, will post we meh gets home.

jimmeh:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Was at a seminar in UCC awhile back. One of the topics covered was the Blueshirts. The guy said they had asked the fella who made the paper what they should use as a sample essay and he said why not use the blueshirts. Might not come up but its an easy topic and worth going over. I think it was in section E last year and they sometimes use questions that were in the E the year before in the other sections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I wonder if anyone can help me? I'm doing Hons. History and I'm crap at it all I want to do is pass the ****ing thing, 40% that's it!!
    So can anyone advise on what topics would be best for me to do?
    Keep in mind my special topic is on the 2 constitutions.

Thanks

KAP.pAr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

for tipz methinks:
    Parny (deffo)
    land etc

inter-party
    dev
    emmmm.........?

Colonialism
    bizzy
    france

facism
    hitz
    musso (ye eeijits callin him mussi, tsk)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

If you have put the effort into your research topic you are well on your way to a pass :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tjw

Any easy way to remember dates?having problems there's sooooooo many!

Advertisement