Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN Hardware?

Options
  • 30-04-2003 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Just looking for advice on what to buy to set up a VPN between two sites. Relatively low-end but does the job. What is the best gear from experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

well we'll need a bit more info on it..

whats the distance?

etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

Its currently a 128k leased line from Dublin to Enfield (Kildare). Theres an old multiplexor in the equation that needs to be taken out. I've heard a standard product is a Nokia device but that it can be unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Obvious reply, but you could go for the usual IPSec/Freeswan solution, two pentium boxes.

OR just use the Win2000 vpn which works remarkably well, though I believe pptp is not particularly secure. The is another vpn thread I remember on this board.. aha ! here it is
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84299&highlight=pptp

edit - obviously the above is of no use to you :) When I see VPN, I always think VPN over the internet. Two simple cisco routers will do the trick. Ones I'm familiar with, having done this would be someithng in the Cisco 1600 series. ( and of course, probably lots besides )

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Also, check out the Netscreen 5xp (www.netscreen.com) or even the Zyxell Firewalls, all support VPN at a very reasonable price point (ie: less than 600 euro or so)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

The Cisco PIX 506e firewall has VPN capabilites , easy enough to set up . hasnt given me any problems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by Loomer
    Just looking for advice on what to buy to set up a VPN between two sites. Relatively low-end but does the job. What is the best gear from experience?

Have a look at

http://www.snapgear.com/sohoplus.html

Inexpensive and ahead of others at similar price points on vpn security.

VPN related features include:

VPN - IPSec
    Peer-to-peer (initiate and terminate)
    ESP and AH payloads
    Supports aggressive mode
    Dead peer detection
    Compression (deflate / gzip type algorithm)
    DES 56-bit, 3DES 168-bit, AES 256-bit encryption
    Hashes HMAC - MD5 and SHA-1 authentication
    IKE/ISAKMP Diffie-Hellman key exchange
    Diffie-Hellman Groups (1,2,5) and Oakley Groups (14,15,16) to 4096-bits
    X.509 certificates DER, PEM formats
    Pre-shared secrets
    Dynamic IP address end-points
    Dynamic DNS IPSec support
    Authentication up to 2048-bit for RSA key signatures
    Multiple subnets
    NAT traversal
    Up to 100 IPSec tunnels
    Up to 1 Mbps IPSec 3DES throughput
    Up to 2 Mbps IPSec AES 128-bit throughput
    Up to 2 Mbps IPSec AES 196-bit throughput
    Up to 2 Mbps IPSec AES 256-bit throughput
    VPN - L2TP
    IPSec config Wizard
    L2TP over IPSec
    Autonomous L2TP
    Client: NAT, default route via L2TP
    Server: specify client IP address range
    VPN - PPTP
    v2 client and server
    Pass-through mode also
    MPPE 40 to 128-bit RC4 encryption
    PAP/CHAP/MS CHAPv2 authentication
    L2TP & GRE tunneling extensions
    Up to 10 PPTP client tunnels
    Up to 20 PPTP server tunnels
    Up to 2 Mbps RC4 throughput

zz..

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

How much are you paying for the leased line? 1000 a month?

The real benefit of using a vpn is to apply it across the regular internet, ie. you get dsl installed in both locations for ~100 a month and all traffic is encrypted and tunneled, giving the appearance of a leased line, ie. a virtual private network.

There is no major benefit to securing and/or tunneling over a leased line, as it is a point to point link with reasonable security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by flav0rflav
    How much are you paying for the leased line? 1000 a month?

The real benefit of using a vpn is to apply it across the regular internet, ie. you get dsl installed in both locations for ~100 a month and all traffic is encrypted and tunneled, giving the appearance of a leased line, ie. a virtual private network.

Whatever he's paying, DSL has to be way cheaper than a leased line.

There is no major benefit to securing and/or tunneling over a leased line, as it is a point to point link with reasonable security.

Depends on the business he's in. I wouldn't like my bank to connect their ATMs or branches with unencrypted leased lines. I wouldn't like any business to be able to process credit card transactions across their network unencrypted - expecially where a PIN in involved. If I was in any business transaction that might be of interest to a telco I would be very careful too!

zz..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭XbLaDe

Get DSL in both locations (if possible )as suggested you will save yourself a packet. I linked 3 offices using Netgears Firewall/VPN - FCS318. ( about 170 ea )

Not a bother for the last 4 months ..... although the VPN is software based not hardware ....

Advertisement