Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish music

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Imaal

I went to berkeley! calm yourself!
    they're ok alright?
    everyones a winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭stez

Sorry another shameless plug......but check out The Mouse at the Radiator gig in Eamon Dorans this Wed. the 7th. Just come back from an Irish tour and the live show will have you pumpin sweat and doin headspins on the floor, the sound is similar to a cross between Sly & the Family, crossed with Happy Mondays, crossed with Madness but sounds like none of the above.
    There's a few other new young Irish bands playin too.

www.freewebs.com/cloudedmouse
    The website's a hoot!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I think I'd include alot of the bands mentioned above.

But a new band (only been together a few months) that you should definitely check out is The Stranded Circus.

The released a single Green Eyes recently and despite the fact they're not together long, they're pretty tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭spoiltbrat

Originally posted by crowbar188
    the best irish bands ive seen around are x-constant and berkeley.

I agree, Berkeley seriously rock. I saw Future Kings of Spain in the TBMC on Friday and it was the best gig I've seen there since Berkeley played.

The CrayonZ and The Things are also well worth a look if you're into your rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

i'd like to stick a word in for bablefish... very nice band

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

GAH!!

f u c k i n' h e l l ....

i hate this stupid self-promotion-go-look-at-my-mates-band-they're-great crap.

most of the bands on this list frequent these boards. in fact, of the list of bands given, almost all are useless, unimaginative crap.

(obviously some of the bands aren't, some are very good, but most are shi-ite.)

aaaaaagggggggggghhhhhhhh.........!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

I get to see almost every band in Dublin in connection with my work.

In my opinion the top bands are;

La Rocca
    Sonora
    Blotooth
    Turn
    Berkeley
    Pugwash

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Berkeley aren't from Dublin.Spanx:p

'posted by kirn:GAH!!

most of the bands on this list frequent these boards. in fact, of the list of bands given, almost all are useless, unimaginative crap.

aaaaaagggggggggghhhhhhhh.........!!!'

I agree with you slightly there
    What are your bands then? (D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I agree that 99% of the bands mentioned here have been mentioned cause the poster is in the band. and WHY THE HELL has no one mentioned CLERGY????? Best band in ireland at the moment in my eyes. and if anyone want to mention 20 Bulls Each, then they'll get a free sticker :P :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

Originally posted by kirn
    GAH!!

aaaaaagggggggggghhhhhhhh.........!!!

First bit of sense written on this board in a while.

Forget all this indie kid self promotion stuff. Just picked up Unfit For Consumption no.7 today. Quite impressed. It's all on the Irish DIY scene at the moment, you also get a free cdr with it, it's only €4 or something and it's not all punk bands there are other bands on it too. Check that out.

Where can you buy "Unfit for Consumption" Shorty?

Dregin

I got it in The Secret Book and Record Store on Wicklow st.

Here:

Issue 7 of UNFIT FOR CONSUMPTION zine, the Irish DIY scene report special
    Finally after 5 months of blood, sweat and tears, Issue 7 of UNFIT FOR CONSUMPTION zine, the Irish DIY scene report special is finally finished.

Interviews with (take a deep breath…) :
    Giveamanakick,
    Toxic Promotions,
    Nosebleed zine,
    Stand Up Guy,
    Joan of Arse,
    Scientific Bong,
    Stress,
    Large Mound,
    Estel,
    Niall McGuirk (Hope Collective/Document book),
    Coldwar,
    Rest,
    The Poke,
    The Dangerfields,
    The Redneck Manifesto,
    Sir Killalot
    Stomach Inc.
    New Noise Music Collective,
    Rodan,
    Bastard Youth,
    SomeDaysBetter,
    Blood or Whiskey,
    The Dagda,
    Mero (Rejected/Control/Eire Records, Knifed, The Record Store)
    Daemien Frost,

Also comes with a 24 track cdr of all Irish bands covering a wide range of the various music that’s on offer in the various DIY scenes. Bands featured are:

Stomach Inc.
    Giveamanakick,
    Stand Up Guy,
    Scientific Bong,
    Stress,
    Large Mound,
    Striknien DC,
    Estel,
    Kid Blunt
    Coldwar,
    Rest,
    The Poke,
    The Dangerfields,
    The Redneck Manifesto,
    Blood or Whiskey,
    The Dagda,
    Knifed,
    Daemien Frost,
    Your New Friend,
    The Steam Pig,
    SomeDaysBetter,
    Sir Killalot
    Puget Sound

Theres also a few pages of info on what else is a happening within the DIY scene, plus the usual UFC stuff like record reviews, zine reviews, book reviews and columns.

Plus it all comes in a lovely resealable bag, to keep both zine and cdr together, so that in a few years time you can find it under the bed and relive the meories of what’s going on now!

Its available post paid for 4 euro to the following address:

UFC Zine
    c/o Trevor Meehan
    46 Rosturra Cres.,
    Woodview Pk.,
    Limerick,
    Ireland.

Or email : trevmeehan@hotmail.com

The Record Store (aka Meros) also has some. Niall McGuirk will also have some for sale at Noxagt (Friday night) and Joan of Arc (Monday Night) in Dublin. I should also have some in Plugd Records in Cork on Saturday. Various other bands, shops and distros will also have them soon too. Email me to find out whos nearest to you!

If you think you could sell a few in your locale please give me a shout.

Thanks for reading!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Saint-dotsie

ive seen one band from the current dublin pub scene called

"the stranded circus"

I was dragged (kinda) to see this band,ive seen and played with a lot of bands over the last three years and i tell yis all here and now they pissed all over any other band i have ever seen on a semi professional circuit,they are literally the best band in dublin at the moment,i saw them when they were together 2 months and they were good they had great songs and really good presence but they werent very tight,i saw them about a month ago and they had improved as a live band 100%.I seriously recommend seeing these guys.

i have absoloutely no association with this band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

well someone said Pugwash, just thought i'd say that i'm not sleeping with any of them (or have acually talked to them) but their a damn good band (and they'd still be good even if i was sleeping with one or more of them).

also wallmark are pretty damn good. i think they have an ep coming out soon or something. i think Pugwash have a few albums

:ninja: Pugwash bad:ninja:
    My friends supported them and when one of his bands guitar amps blew in sound check they wouldn't let them use their's.Pugwash then went on to suck badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Originally posted by Shorty
    I got it in The Secret Book and Record Store on Wicklow st.

Here:

Issue 7 of UNFIT FOR CONSUMPTION zine, the Irish DIY scene report special
    Finally after 5 months of blood, sweat and tears, Issue 7 of UNFIT FOR CONSUMPTION zine, the Irish DIY scene report special is finally finished.

Interviews with (take a deep breath…) :
    Giveamanakick,
    Toxic Promotions,
    Nosebleed zine,
    Stand Up Guy,
    Joan of Arse,
    Scientific Bong,
    Stress,
    Large Mound,
    Estel,
    Niall McGuirk (Hope Collective/Document book),
    Coldwar,
    Rest,
    The Poke,
    The Dangerfields,
    The Redneck Manifesto,
    Sir Killalot
    Stomach Inc.
    New Noise Music Collective,
    Rodan,
    Bastard Youth,
    SomeDaysBetter,
    Blood or Whiskey,
    The Dagda,
    Mero (Rejected/Control/Eire Records, Knifed, The Record Store)
    Daemien Frost,

Also comes with a 24 track cdr of all Irish bands covering a wide range of the various music that’s on offer in the various DIY scenes. Bands featured are:

Stomach Inc.
    Giveamanakick,
    Stand Up Guy,
    Scientific Bong,
    Stress,
    Large Mound,
    Striknien DC,
    Estel,
    Kid Blunt
    Coldwar,
    Rest,
    The Poke,
    The Dangerfields,
    The Redneck Manifesto,
    Blood or Whiskey,
    The Dagda,
    Knifed,
    Daemien Frost,
    Your New Friend,
    The Steam Pig,
    SomeDaysBetter,
    Sir Killalot
    Puget Sound

Theres also a few pages of info on what else is a happening within the DIY scene, plus the usual UFC stuff like record reviews, zine reviews, book reviews and columns.

Plus it all comes in a lovely resealable bag, to keep both zine and cdr together, so that in a few years time you can find it under the bed and relive the meories of what’s going on now!

Its available post paid for 4 euro to the following address:

UFC Zine
    c/o Trevor Meehan
    46 Rosturra Cres.,
    Woodview Pk.,
    Limerick,
    Ireland.

Or email : trevmeehan@hotmail.com

The Record Store (aka Meros) also has some. Niall McGuirk will also have some for sale at Noxagt (Friday night) and Joan of Arc (Monday Night) in Dublin. I should also have some in Plugd Records in Cork on Saturday. Various other bands, shops and distros will also have them soon too. Email me to find out whos nearest to you!

If you think you could sell a few in your locale please give me a shout.

Thanks for reading!

Was looking at the zine last night , very impressed both by your enthusiasm and the amount of quality content. We in gigsmart have similar aspirations to your good self and are hoping to do something with our CD thats coming out towards the end of June.....I'll contact you closer to the date , maybe you would be interested in contributing something to our promo zine or giving us a few pointers??

All the best , and sincere well done, I believe it was worth the effort!!

Trev M
    (Must be something about Trev's we're all mad for the music, radiator is run by a Trev aswell how mad is that???)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

But trev you have awful bands in gigsmart.

And why does every musical approach in dublin want to "link" up and "help" eachother...
    jesus do it yourself..

Anyway i personally would not involve gigsmart due to the poor quality of the acts it supports.

Thanks for your input Ragga .

People can judge for themselves when the disc comes out

Here are the bands that have been selected thus far,
    11 have been played on Phantom , Seven of which have been played regulary ....two of which have been in the phantom chart. Three of which I believe phantom have taken the time to interview. One of which won the IMRO showcase.Two or three containing several professional musicians. Five are currently recording albums.

1. Ginseng ::::: Falling Down
    2. Me in the Park ::::: Cheesecake
    3. Mike got Spiked ::::: 5 Second Heaven
    4. Obsolete ::::: Add to the History
    5. Otranome ::::: Another dies young
    6. Oz ::::: Sophia
    7. Pinion ::::: 40%
    8. Polar ::::: South
    9. Splinters ::::: After all.
    10. Sundogs ::::: U want it
    11. The Al Capone Suite ::::: Court Jesters
    12. The Beautiful Losers ::::: Relapse
    13. The Murder of Crows :::::: Gotta Gun
    14. Tokin ::::: Broken Reflection
    15. Popstar ::::: Great Expectations

All the best,
    Trev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Musiccontrol

Seen Woodstar, Autamata, Jerry Fish & the Mudbug Club in the last couple of weeks. All very different but brilliant.

Incidently, if anyone knows people with the aforementioned bands, please can you ask them to send me a copy of their cd releases as we produce the Official Airplay Chart in Ireland and would like to see it more representative of Irish acts. If we don't have the music we can't monitor it. Very hard to track these bands down. Good opportunity to get exposure as our subscribers are the major record companies and radio stations always looking out for the next big thing. Please help us help you.

Thanks
    Feidhlim Byrne
    Music Control
    Top floor
    6 Clare Street
    Dublin 2

• Advertisement

As in the bands you listed or all the bands?

Originally posted by Musiccontrol
    Seen Woodstar, Autamata, Jerry Fish & the Mudbug Club in the last couple of weeks. All very different but brilliant.

Incidently, if anyone knows people with the aforementioned bands, please can you ask them to send me a copy of their cd releases as we produce the Official Airplay Chart in Ireland and would like to see it more representative of Irish acts. If we don't have the music we can't monitor it. Very hard to track these bands down. Good opportunity to get exposure as our subscribers are the major record companies and radio stations always looking out for the next big thing. Please help us help you.

Thanks
    Feidhlim Byrne
    Music Control
    Top floor
    6 Clare Street
    Dublin 2

Wasn't your man Ron from Irish Unsigned trying to do something like that. Maybe you should get in touch with him, unless you already have.

No, sorry, all bands and artists mentioned in previous threads. The more we get the better. The Airplay Chart is becoming as important as the Sales Chart and can a better indication of what radio stations are supporting Irish acts.

Cheers.
    Feidhlim

Sounds very positive, I'll organise our affiliated bands to get the act together and we'll have a stream of stuff on its way to you very soon.

A lot of our bands are releasing material soon or have done already......all of it independantly some have set up their own labels , would that information be of any benefit to you?

Thanks Shorty, Will look into that, could be a good way forward. Also, looking for those who are signed to small labels but who are very difficult to track down. Sometimes the labels, when contacted, are not very helpful, when infact it could be of benefit to the artist/band if the exposure is there. Therefore not doing the artists/bands they are representing any favours.

Thanks in advance to all for any help.
    Feidhlim

Trev M, that would be brilliant. Whatever Music and information you have will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You should also contact the Federation of Music Collectives, they are excellent to work with very open door policy. I think the lady to talk to is Angela Dorgan

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Smiler

Originally posted by Raggamuffin
    But trev you have awful bands in gigsmart.

And why does every musical approach in dublin want to "link" up and "help" eachother...
    jesus do it yourself..

Anyway i personally would not involve gigsmart due to the poor quality of the acts it supports.

That's a really stupid thing to say man.
    "you have awful bands in gigsmart"

Have you seen every band in gigsmart???

Oh and are you in a band yourself?

If so I must check your band out....

What Smiler said is incredibly true
    If no one mentions any bands to anyone how would their popularity be spread at all?

And I'd like to hear you make a succes of a band raggamuffin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

Raggamuffin, for someone who prides himself on being oh so controversial, I wish that for once you'd back up what you say with something, anything of any substance whatsoever. GigSmart bands are awful, eh? In all my time being affiliated with GigSmart, I've seen you at ONE GigSmart gig, which obviously makes you an expert on all things GigSmart? Eh..... No!!
    It's all very easy to have an opinion when you're sitting at home on your PC, but from my experience of you, you just haven't got the balls to come out and say what you really mean face to face, which really is a load of me arse!

Advertisement