Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About that Q2 rl and physics mod ...

Options
  • 27-05-1998 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

I think SumFuka on the Planetquake Qdevels site put it
    quite well:

"Ok, now firstly, even though I fiercely disagree with his point of view I am urging you to visit his page
    because he presents some very good arguments and the code for his modette is useful to see how to
    change the physics of the gameworld.

Now, why do I disagree ?

Quake2 deathmatch sucks compared to Quake1. The RL is different - the weapon balance sucks. I've
    gone back to quake1. Quake2 dm is just not as fun.

I've heard alot of people say that. Why ? Well I put it down to one simple reason :

They cannot dominate quake2 the way they could dominate quake1

One of my quake buddies (groo) hates quake2 dm. Why ? Well I've watched him play a game of it lately
    and a newbie with a double shotgun came up to him and killed him. And he had (yerp, you guessed it),
    the rocketlauncher at the time.

Go back to quake1. Groo has the RL and no-one, I mean NO-ONE can nail him. He gets 50 frags on dm4
    without dying.

Is that noble ? Going back to play quake1 simply because the RL makes you king ? Making quake2 into
    quake1 ? I don't think so. I believe people should be adaptable. Mould yourself to the game, don't try
    to mould the game to you. I remember jcarmack flamed a few people right after the release of quake2
    because they were 'fixing' the rocketlauncher (making it go faster and do more damage). Accept that
    quake2 is a more balanced game and enjoy it."

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

: Is that noble ? Going back to play quake1 simply because the RL makes you king ? Making quake2 into
    : quake1 ? I don't think so. I believe people should be adaptable. Mould yourself to the game, don't try
    : to mould the game to you. I remember jcarmack flamed a few people right after the release of quake2
    : because they were 'fixing' the rocketlauncher (making it go faster and do more damage). Accept that
    : quake2 is a more balanced game and enjoy it."

Yeah! Wot 'e said.

Teeth.

: : Is that noble ? Going back to play quake1 simply because the RL makes you king ? Making quake2 into
    : : quake1 ? I don't think so. I believe people should be adaptable. Mould yourself to the game, don't try
    : : to mould the game to you. I remember jcarmack flamed a few people right after the release of quake2
    : : because they were 'fixing' the rocketlauncher (making it go faster and do more damage). Accept that
    : : quake2 is a more balanced game and enjoy it."

: Yeah! Wot 'e said.

: Teeth.

Muppets.
    I'm thinking of playing a lot of Quake2 over the summer though...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

: Muppets.
    : I'm thinking of playing a lot of Quake2 over the summer though...

Make sure you get a 3dfx card though. It's actually easier to aim with the card, it seems smoother and some levels use coloured lights to point out things (which normal svga won't pick up).

: : Yeah! Wot 'e said.

: : Teeth.

: Muppets.
    : I'm thinking of playing a lot of Quake2 over the summer though...

Why I outta.. Still though, it'll be interesting
    to see how fast a crusty old Quaker makes the
    transition to stomping all over us lot.. (10 mins? 5 mins? :) )

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭FlavorFlav

I just wanted to say for all those that arent going to read the original "Pro-Rocket Manifesto" that one of his strongest points is that q1 IS unbalanced AND he liked that BECAUSE it heightens the tension/fear/excitment/adrenaline rush/high.

FlavorFlav, who is playing about as much q1 as q2, at the mo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dupre

: : I'm thinking of playing a lot of Quake2 over the summer though...

: Why I outta.. Still though, it'll be interesting
    : to see how fast a crusty old Quaker makes the
    : transition to stomping all over us lot.. (10 mins? 5 mins? :) )

: Teeth.

There are a number of stages to it as follows:

Stage 1: Reaper gets his ass kicked by us and starts bleeting
    about the rocket launcher being cr@p and Quake 2 being sh!te in comparison to Quake 1.
    At this point one of two things will happen :

(a) He will stop playing the thing and continue bleeting on about how crap Quake 2 is.
    (b) He'll play it a bit longer until he gets the taste of how much better the gameplay is than Quake 1.
    Then he'll get as good in Q2 as he is in Q1 and we'll have a hell of a good game on our hands.

Stage 2: Uh ... thats all there is to it.

Seriously tho', it is difficult playing back and forth between Quake 1 and Quake 2 because of how differently
    the rl aims and fires. You can get used to either, but not both.

: : Muppets.

Master of Muppets :)

D.

Advertisement