Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL query query

Options
  • 01-05-2003 1:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Never been very good with advanced SQL stuff.

Say I have a 'users' table which contains two fields, 'userid' and 'username'; and a 'news' table which contains several news fields together with the id of the user that submitted the story and the id of the moderator that approved the story. Is there anyway to get the /usernames/ of both the user and the mod in each row while querying data from the news table? Something like...

SELECT news.*,users.username,users.username FROM news,users;

...where the first 'users.username' above will return the username of the submitting user, and the second will return the username of the moderator. I guess I'm looking for something like AS, but that's onle for tables, right? This making sense to /anyone/?

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

sounds like a self-join if i'm reading Q correctly

could use something like this:

select user1.username,user2.username
    from users user1, users user2,news n
    where user1.username = n.userid
    and user2.username=n.modid;

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Its not a self-join, but the SQL sixpack quoted should work.

If you prefer ANSI syntax, it would go something like

SELECT news.*,
    sub.username,
    mod.username

FROM news
    INNER JOIN users AS sub
    ON news.submittedby = sub.userid
    INNER JOIN users as mod
    ON news.approvedby = mod.userid

And then stick a WHERE on the end of all that if you want to filter for anything.

jc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks guys. It took me a couple of hours to figure out that although the queries looked right, they weren't working because the userid I used in the moderator field didn't exist in the users table. Duh. :)

Thanks again.
    adam

Advertisement