Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on internal Cisco Wireless running on a Novell Login System

• 01-05-2003 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Got a problem. The college works on a Novell Login system and they have a wireless which I am logged on to. I have XP pro (compulsary in my situation) working on my laptop and use a wireless card to connect to a wireless network (simple so far).

I have been connecting fine for about 2 weeks and then I decided to update windows. Worked fone after my updates (including after reboots). Shut it down on friday and never used the laptop over the weekend. Tried to log-on on monday and no joy.

Anyone have any Ideas. I know that you'll need more info so ask away.

Program used to lon onto the network is called Novell Cilent for Windows.
    OS is XP pro SP1

P.S: if it might be better answerd somewear else please move it and sorry. thanx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

the novell client replaces part of the windows login system (GINA) and updates to Windows will occasionally change it back again, thereby knackering the Novell client.

if you can get into the laptop in workstation only mode, or safe mode, you should be able to reinstall the Novell client & get all back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Pete's comments are all correct.. Re-installing the client may fix your problem, however, given that it was working fine on Friday, and you have changed nothing (right?) it sounds like it may have been a change on the server-side...

How does it fail? What error message? Can you see the Novell Tree and servers? (Click on the tree icon and see what results it brings-up).

Anyway, you may not need to log into the network in order to access it's resources. Do a 'workstation login'. See if you can acess your wireless network when you're logged into your workstation.. Do you connect to the n/w via a VPN client?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Thanx pete and Krusty_Clown. Found the problem. You'd wanna get a load of this.
    On the day in question I updated indiscrimatly and it cost me. We could not find the problem so we formated and started again. Yesturday I started to update again and found the problem. It's WPA Wireless Security Update in Windows XP. Even after you reinstall Netwear it still does not work but if you uninstall the hotfix it fixes the problem.

Thanks guys.

Advertisement