Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A failed attempt at a direct connect game

Options
  • 28-05-1998 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Today I slogged me pc down to johno's house, all 2 houses away. I had gotten my hands on a cale that apparently was the right type ie. a 'laplink' cable. At each end of the wire there was a serial port and parrelel port. obviously u were meant to choose which one to use. I didnt have a free parrelel -socket port so i slapped mine into the serial, john had 2 free so he slappe dit into the parellel first and then when that didn't work the serial port. Nothing happened when we tried to setup and join a direct connect game, we tried 'connect localhost', connect direct, connect com1/com2, as well as the usual menu lark. None successful. Then we got rob's ie. Butts pc over and we tried his and mine, serial ports. Same again couldnt connect. We wasted a day. What did we do wrong ? what could have gone wrong ? did we ahve the wrong wire? did we not set up quake right?

thanks,
    ste-the-bee :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

: Today I slogged me pc down to johno's house, all 2 houses away. I had gotten my hands on a cale that apparently was the right type ie. a 'laplink' cable. At each end of the wire there was a serial port and parrelel port. obviously u were meant to choose which one to use. I didnt have a free parrelel -socket port so i slapped mine into the serial, john had 2 free so he slappe dit into the parellel first and then when that didn't work the serial port. Nothing happened when we tried to setup and join a direct connect game, we tried 'connect localhost', connect direct, connect com1/com2, as well as the usual menu lark. None successful. Then we got rob's ie. Butts pc over and we tried his and mine, serial ports. Same again couldnt connect. We wasted a day. What did we do wrong ? what could have gone wrong ? did we ahve the wrong wire? did we not set up quake right?

: thanks,
    : ste-the-bee :)

I may be wrong here, but I seem to remember that lap-link
    cables aren't full null-modem cables, in which case they
    will not work.

What you want is a NULL-MODEM cable.
    Its pretty easy to wire one up, you should be able to get the
    cables and connections in an electrical suppliers.
    Phone cable will do and is nice and cheap.
    The max distance to run a serial able is about 2 methers.

heres a page with the pin connections
    http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/2250/pinout.html#6

I've another wiring diagram which uses less pin's and I'll post
    it when I find it

Hope that helps

Rev Hellfire ( who can just occasionally be helpful )

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

: : Today I slogged me pc down to johno's house, all 2 houses away. I had gotten my hands on a cale that apparently was the right type ie. a 'laplink' cable. At each end of the wire there was a serial port and parrelel port. obviously u were meant to choose which one to use. I didnt have a free parrelel -socket port so i slapped mine into the serial, john had 2 free so he slappe dit into the parellel first and then when that didn't work the serial port. Nothing happened when we tried to setup and join a direct connect game, we tried 'connect localhost', connect direct, connect com1/com2, as well as the usual menu lark. None successful. Then we got rob's ie. Butts pc over and we tried his and mine, serial ports. Same again couldnt connect. We wasted a day. What did we do wrong ? what could have gone wrong ? did we ahve the wrong wire? did we not set up quake right?

: : thanks,
    : : ste-the-bee :)

: I may be wrong here, but I seem to remember that lap-link
    : cables aren't full null-modem cables, in which case they
    : will not work.

: What you want is a NULL-MODEM cable.
    : Its pretty easy to wire one up, you should be able to get the
    : cables and connections in an electrical suppliers.
    : Phone cable will do and is nice and cheap.
    : The max distance to run a serial able is about 2 methers.

: heres a page with the pin connections
    : http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/2250/pinout.html#6

: I've another wiring diagram which uses less pin's and I'll post
    : it when I find it

: Hope that helps

: Rev Hellfire ( who can just occasionally be helpful )

could i just not buy one ? :)

: : : Today I slogged me pc down to johno's house, all 2 houses away. I had gotten my hands on a cale that apparently was the right type ie. a 'laplink' cable. At each end of the wire there was a serial port and parrelel port. obviously u were meant to choose which one to use. I didnt have a free parrelel -socket port so i slapped mine into the serial, john had 2 free so he slappe dit into the parellel first and then when that didn't work the serial port. Nothing happened when we tried to setup and join a direct connect game, we tried 'connect localhost', connect direct, connect com1/com2, as well as the usual menu lark. None successful. Then we got rob's ie. Butts pc over and we tried his and mine, serial ports. Same again couldnt connect. We wasted a day. What did we do wrong ? what could have gone wrong ? did we ahve the wrong wire? did we not set up quake right?

: : : thanks,
    : : : ste-the-bee :)

: : I may be wrong here, but I seem to remember that lap-link
    : : cables aren't full null-modem cables, in which case they
    : : will not work.

: : What you want is a NULL-MODEM cable.
    : : Its pretty easy to wire one up, you should be able to get the
    : : cables and connections in an electrical suppliers.
    : : Phone cable will do and is nice and cheap.
    : : The max distance to run a serial able is about 2 methers.

: : heres a page with the pin connections
    : : http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/2250/pinout.html#6

: : I've another wiring diagram which uses less pin's and I'll post
    : : it when I find it

: : Hope that helps

: : Rev Hellfire ( who can just occasionally be helpful )

: could i just not buy one ? :)

Yep.
    Try Game, dont go near compustore or pc world they'll rob you blind
    but to be honest its a peice of p1ss to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Dest

: Today I slogged me pc down to johno's house, all 2 houses away. I had gotten my hands on a cale that apparently was the right type ie. a 'laplink' cable. At each end of the wire there was a serial port and parrelel port. obviously u were meant to choose which one to use. I didnt have a free parrelel -socket port so i slapped mine into the serial, john had 2 free so he slappe dit into the parellel first and then when that didn't work the serial port. Nothing happened when we tried to setup and join a direct connect game, we tried 'connect localhost', connect direct, connect com1/com2, as well as the usual menu lark. None successful. Then we got rob's ie. Butts pc over and we tried his and mine, serial ports. Same again couldnt connect. We wasted a day. What did we do wrong ? what could have gone wrong ? did we ahve the wrong wire? did we not set up quake right?

Not sure if its the same thingy as ur doing but when me and rhob tried a direct connect we used the printer cable but the direct connect option never seems to work, try IPX thats how we got it workin. (im probably totaly wrong but im bored so i might as well write somethin)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

: : could i just not buy one ? :)

: Yep.
    : Try Game, dont go near compustore or pc world they'll rob you blind
    : but to be honest its a peice of p1ss to do.

Arr no. Two ethernet cards and a cable and yer laughin,
    and ready for any LAN parties that happen in future.
    I posted about this a few days ago, look it up. It'll only
    be about 20-30 quid for a cheap card, and a few quid for
    a thinwire or cross-over CAT-5 cable.

Teeth.

• Advertisement

: : : could i just not buy one ? :)

: : Yep.
    : : Try Game, dont go near compustore or pc world they'll rob you blind
    : : but to be honest its a peice of p1ss to do.

: Arr no. Two ethernet cards and a cable and yer laughin,
    : and ready for any LAN parties that happen in future.
    : I posted about this a few days ago, look it up. It'll only
    : be about 20-30 quid for a cheap card, and a few quid for
    : a thinwire or cross-over CAT-5 cable.

: Teeth.

Yep, I'd agree with u there, get a network card and cable if u can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

Type "connect #" (# is the £ sign on UK keyboards)
    should work over a null modem cable..

Advertisement