Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local / Irish Bands

Options
  • 01-05-2003 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

I thought it would be interesting if everyone was to give their thoughts towards local bands and maybe give a few examples of some you've heard and what they are like.
    Heres a few ive seen and enjoyed.

Coldwar = Heavy hardcore, high aggression stuff. get any crowd moshing in minutes.
    Pinion - Pop Punk at its finest, Full of energy and fun. they get the kids dancing dude.
    The Dangerfields - unusual stlye of punk. Drummer Sings which is weird. 3 piece from up north. Its punk leaning towards rock with a hardcore feel.
    Underhill- just seen em for the first time recently. a nice combo of Hard rock and indie. Their heavyier stuff is much better than the lighter stuff.
    Blood Or Whiskey = Absolutley outstanding tradpunk band. i love em
    Hollowpoint = Metal noisecore band, amazing live
    Clergy - without a doubt the finest badn on these shores at the moment. i call it heroin metal lol, Like a blend of Tool, Deftones, Alice in chains and Korn(to a certain extent) i cant say enough good things about em.
    Pinhead= Ramones cover band , just a great fun band to listen to. super cool blokes too

anyone got anymore?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Gav Ol Son

Large Mound Rock! And so do The Dudley Corporation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

X-Constant!!!!

I can't emphasise this enough!!!

Think ...um.....Pantera meets Carcass meet Opeth and strangle them in an alleyway!!!!

Mr 120Minutes, help me out here, willya.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

i'll help ya out smilveryfish

i gots to agree with ya about xconstant... they completely blew me away when i saw em the first time... you can get songs from their website... well worth a listen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭colin caustic

gotta agree with bombidol-blood or whiskey and pinhead rock!

other great bands are:
    stomach-dublin hardcore in the vain of government issue
    steam pig-dublins hardest working punk band (one of the longest running too)
    knifed-hardcore/trash,early boston,seein red style (mero's new band)
    scientific bong-another hardcore band...really good
    mouthpiece-sorta garage punk...keep gettin better every time they play
    bastard youth-hardcore/trash...early 80's style (like knifed sorta)

bombidol your in 20 bulls each aren't yeh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭kingconor

Swurve - Brilliant little beat combo from Coleraine, supporting Muse in October!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Yeah im in 20BE colin, you see us around? what you think.

I have the knifed/bastard youth split 7" back in the gaff and we played with bastard youth a few weeks ago. Not my cup of tea really but ive nothing against em, even though we nearly rucked with em at the gig lol, nah it was nothing really. singer threw someone int our table and two of the lads girls got drenched. just a misunderstanding. Mero is bang on but ive yet to See knifed in action live, i wanna though.
    We are playing with Total Chaos and The turbo ACs in a few weeks man you should head along.

gar 20be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I saw Underhill, they were pretty damn cool.
    There're some good up and coming bands around my area but they're all pretty young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

bombidol, where do uz play, i wudnt mind seeing yiz in action.

We are playing in the Voodoo Lounge in town this Tuesday coming in a battle of the bands so we could do with some more support if you are around.Pinion are playing too, so if you are a Greenday fan you'll love em, its a fiver in i think. other than that this month we are playing with 2 bands from the states that you will dig, Total Chaos and The Turbo AC's in the Temple on Dorset street on the 21st . let me know if you want directions etc.
    And yeah Underhill sound good, they need to refine their sound a little cause its a bit messed up but they rock

haven't seen yis yet man but i'll head along to the total chaos gig if i can coz i've liked em for a few years now...bit of a drought this month though with the aul mdc and fleas and lice gigs...i reckon ken from bastard youth is one of the best front men around dublin at the mo coz he always gets the crowd involved in the gig aswell... knifed live-check em out is all i can say...if you've spoken to mero in his shop you'll be surprised-he really comes out of his shell on stage...

• Advertisement

i'll do my best but might not make it....after exams - loads of time, keep us posted on your gigs, i am determined to see youz. and green day do not define my music choice, i dounloaded one of your songs - "...number...something or other" pretty danm cool dude, fair play....that singer is a bit dodgy though:D
    no but seriously - me likey, me likey alot:cool:

Thats me singing yeh swine! To be honest we arent happy with those songs they came out sounding too poppy. we are heavier and more metal based live. pop along whenever you can folks. Ken is a decent frontman yeah. the style of stuff they are playing is very old school so they get a lot of the crustys going. and they usuall get involved even if you dont want em too

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Berkeley.Emotional Hardcore Punk pop country rock metal grunge bluegrass jazz ska spandex baldy bloke with nits death grindcore ...............etc. I like them anyway.

http://www.Berkeley.tv

http://www.Berkeley.tv/forums

Spam artíste - Dregin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

Mad Max

Just found an MP3 of us playing a while back, its only a small sample but you'll get the idea
    http://www.20bullseach.com/songs/nochoicesedsite.mp3

dude that track that you just linked is deadly, great energy- i'd say youz get a great mosh going with it. :D

when i heard the stuff on your site, i was expecting something more hardcore, but i'm impressed with both styles.

Yeah, the stuff on the site came out WAY too sugary. We are heavyier than the recorded MP3's. we ran out of time to mix them the way we wanted to so we went with a simple mix which makes em sound pretty poppy. all of our songs are moshable but we have yet to get a pit going lol. Tell everyone you can bout us, spread the 20BE word !

not a bad song man...just wondered how you meant bastard youth get involved even if you don't want em to?i know the drummer steve and i kinda know ken and i know they can fly off the handle a bit (there usually locked when they play like) but there nice guys in fairness to them...

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by The Reaper
    Mad Max
    Indeed. They were superb last friday night. Both them and Teranova.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

If you like it Old School (ACDC, Zeppellin, Aerosmith {when they were young}) then you owe it to check out The Murder Of Crows.

If you buzz to Faith No More, The Chilli's, GNR, Thin Lizzy dragged into the next millenium then you need to check out Eclipse.

Sky jack - if you like music end of story.

X-Constant are the tops in the heavier metal market at the mo.

Clergy rock like bastards.

Mike Got Spiked (formerly fingermouse) have got to be heard by everybody with a pair of ears.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Let me comment on the above post.
    Sky jack - if you like music end of story.

I would sincerely recommend this band to Tool fans and the like. An Entertaining evening a guarantee.
    X-Constant are the tops in the heavier metal market at the mo.

Whoooooooo aaaahhhhh rrrrghhhh X-Constant are the best thing in my life.

Emphasis: the best thing in my life.
    Mike Got Spiked (formerly fingermouse) have got to be heard by everybody with a pair of ears.

Absolutely. You'll laugh. You'll cry. You will wish there was a back catalogue of albums you could rush out and buy.

Nah Colin i meant the Crustys not BY. the youth were nice folks i borrowed em some cables and stuff and they were nice ppl

**** yeah i never seen so many crusties in my life then i seen the youth live and the placed was swarmin with the stinky unwashed little bastards...actually i should really speak for myself with the stinky and unwashed thing...i'm gonna do my best to ccatch 20be live so if i make to a gig i'll pop over and introduce myself and if i'm feeling extra nice i may even buy yeh a pint-i'm a nice guy really...

Cool man. well we are in tomorrow (tues) in voodoo and the Turbos gig is the 21st. im the singer so pop over and introduce yerself dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Better put Pinion in there too alright and The Things

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

And of course theres Sleeves Mahoney :>

hey bombidol, i do a zine i could do an interview if yeh like?don't have a dictophone tho an it's kinda annoyin doin em by email... still if yer interested noclass666@hotmail.com is the address or pm me or something...

can't make it tonite by the by...most likely the 21st...i'll keep yeh posted on that tho

Mail Sent Chief.

gar

• Advertisement

hee hee chief...oh you made me blush-yeh must be a winner with the ladies...still can't get the frickin msn thing installed-bastardin college!eh i'll mail on the questions when there ready...

Advertisement