Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SELF-BUILD Wooden-Frame House & Cost

• 01-05-2003 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I'm considering the possibility of self-build (well, hiring a contractor to build) a wooden frame house.

It's just something I thought about a few days ago, so it's not something I know much (anything really) about.

I just wondered what the general consensus is on wooden-frame houses (finished with block, brick or stone). Are wooden-frame houses generally considered to be equal to "ordinary" brick or block houses?

As far as I know, when you purchase one of the wooden frame house, then the manufacturing company delivers the frame to your site and builds the frame on-site. Then you have to either build the rest of the house yourself (with friends) or hire a contractor to do this.

After the frame has been built, there is the plumbing, electrical work, painting, roof tiles, kitchen units, wall & floor tiles to do. Also the foundation has to be built before the frame is even delivered and constructed.

If I was getting a contractor to do the more difficult work such as plumbing, plastering, electrics, roof tiles, and also construct the foundation; would anyone have an idea as to what this might cost for a 1200sq.ft. house? Or what it might approximately cost per sq.ft.?

I know it's impossible to give anything accurate. Anyone know what it might cost to do the foundation and also the roof tiles, plumbing, plastering, electrics (I think the windows are usually provided with and installed with the frame).

Any other tips about this are very much welcome........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

well if you actually want the web site of a crowd that do them in the cork city area(well about a half mile outside in Lissarda) then go here cygnum.ie.
    .cygnum.ie
    Good company and yes they do come out and fit it for you and yes you have to do the rest yourself......as for build quality etc. i dunno but id prefer a stone/timber frame/timber house to one of the concrete ones....by thats just my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

also i dont think the windows are supplied by the frame crowd......one was built just near me recently and there were no windows there until well after the outside brick laying and roofing was done.....wheither the timber crowd supplied them and they weren't put on till then i dunno, but they didnt arrive with the frame anyway(not in the same shipment)......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 markymark

I've just had a look at their site, and yes they don't seem to supply windows.

Though another company; Century.ie do seem to supply windows and doors with their frames, and they've got "off the shelf" house designs shown on their site.

Though I don't know much about either company.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement