Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water Or Coke?

• 01-05-2003 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

You've probably have read this before but here is is anyways.

WATER OR COKE?

This is really an eye opener!

We all know that water is important but I've never seen it written down like this before.

WATER
    1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. (Likely applies to half world population.)

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50%less likely to develop bladder cancer. Are you drinking the amount of water you should every day?

COKE
    1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Apply a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION:
    1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about four days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous Material place cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would YOU like a glass of water or coke

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Personally I dont drink any fizzy drinks and drink loads of water but I never new the effects were so dramatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most of the coke stories were debunked on www.snopes.com

For exercise, use water or an isotonic drink (water based drinks with low levels of salts and/or sugars).

For daily use drink 1.5-2 litres of water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

That stuff about coke is pure crap... try it.. its not very hard to stick a nail in some coke and leave... nail wil be there 4 months later let alone 4 days! Think about it.. whats tougher.. your insides or a piece of metal?

Originally posted by Saruman
    That stuff about coke is pure crap... try it.. its not very hard to stick a nail in some coke and leave... nail wil be there 4 months later let alone 4 days! Think about it.. whats tougher.. your insides or a piece of metal?

Try it and see what happens. We did it a a science exp in school and it worked cant remember how many days tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Did you try orange juice aswell? Because it would have the exact same effect.

Doesn't make it evil. No one goes around with coke or orange juice held in their mouth for days.

• Advertisement

We tried it with lemon juice and OJ and a few other things as well the coke had by far the worst effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

im trying to increase my water intake at the mo. i hated drinking it but i've kind've got used to it now and i drink about 1.5 liters a day. hate the way u have to pee every 2 minutes tho.

Originally posted by Victor
    For daily use drink 1.5-2 litres of water.
    Oh, tea / coffee / booze don't count towards your 2 liters.

do fizzy drinks (bar coke/pepsi) count?. im trying to stop drinking them for my teeth and tummy. i have them about 4-5 times a week now.

Originally posted by thedrowner
    do fizzy drinks (bar coke/pepsi) count?. im trying to stop drinking them for my teeth and tummy. i have them about 4-5 times a week now.
    I'm not sure, I suspose only count half of them at most.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

Originally posted by thedrowner
    im trying to increase my water intake at the mo. i hated drinking it but i've kind've got used to it now and i drink about 1.5 liters a day. hate the way u have to pee every 2 minutes tho.

good for you thedrowner, btw the frantic peeing gets better when your body gets used to all the water. I drink 3 litres a day, trying to aid weight loss. Now I don't pee as much as I did in the beginning!! (hmm maybe too much info)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ChiGung

Fizzy Drinks are the same - they are all bad for you.
    Some may be less acidic than Coke but to win you need to cut them all out. (Or drink them in moderation).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

Most of the stories about coke are urban legends. I tried the penny in a bottle trick and it does work to some degree but not to the extent that some would have you believe.

Put a penny (a cent nowadays I suppose) in a bottle of coke and leave it for 2 days. When you drain the coke away, your left with a shiny penny. Scary stuff. Well mildly interesting at least!

Iv allways drank between 4 and 5 liters of water aday. Its tops :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

There was an article about this in the Irish Times recently (from the Guardian service) exposing 10 myths about food, one of which was having to drink a litre or two of water every day.

You actually get quite a bit of this from the foods you eat throughout the day.

I can't imagine it's doing anyone any harm though.

Originally posted by Rolo Tomasi
    Most of the stories about coke are urban legends. I tried the penny in a bottle trick and it does work to some degree but not to the extent that some would have you believe.

hmmmm
    if i showed you my teeth would you believe it. possibly not after about 2,000 quid on dental work (fillings and root canals etc) mainly because of fizzy drinks/fruit drinks . well that sounds a lot more drastic than it is, coz my teeth (thankfully) always looked fine, but if you look at my back teeth they're full of fillings.

it really bad now though because parents will let they're kids of fizzy drinks/juices at younger ages now coz it's what they're used to and it really really destorys their teeth.

but this is way off topic sorry

i've drank a litre of water today so far. go me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by Victor
    Oh, tea / coffee / booze don't count towards your 2 liters.

Yes they do, though maybe not exactly 1:1 ratio (i.e. 1L of tea may only be worth 0.9L of water)

I read a study about this recently where they had one group drinking water only, the other drank tea, beverages. There was no difference in results that couldn't be explained by statistical variances. I can't remember where I saw it but will have a look.

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

As with nearly everything I thnk most people realise that every thing should be taken in moderation, I do not drink cola that much but generally when I have it ,it does taste nice, plus if you are tired you get a mild boost from the caffeine, how ever its the high sugar content of most cola's and soft drinks that people should really be aware of, and as this is the fitness area water would get my recommendation hands down, caffeine also acts as a dieuretic thus drinking cola could indirectly further dehydrate your body, also your body is far more pre disposed to storing sugars in solution as fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

also most people would recommend at least two litres a day or 8 large glasses of water and more if you engage in sporting activities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

although those involved in any sort of endurance training should always strongly consider sports drinks, otherwise ur doing unproductive damage to your body in training detracting from the benefits and reducing the amount of time you can train for at a time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

It's not the acidity of Coke that's a problem, it's the quantity of refined sugar in it. Most people simply ingest way too much refined sugar (and get far too much of their RDA of energy from sugar rather than from other sources), and this leads to a key factor in ill-health and obesity in western society - namely sugar cravings.

Most of the time, when you feel "hungry", you're not actually in need of food - you're in need of sugar, because your body has become accustomed to an unnaturally high blood sugar level.

You can make an excellent stab at a diet by pulling as much refined sugar as possible out of your diet. First week is tough as hell because it's like going through withdrawal from a drug (because, er, that's exactly what it is), but once you're past that you generally find that a diet without refined sugar forming the bulk of your energy intake leaves you feeling a hell of a lot better than you did before...

Advertisement