Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newrogamer

Options
  • 01-05-2003 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

Blatant plug thread! Sorry :)

I know we have a fair few EG readers here - wondering what you guys make of the facelift we applied last night? We're getting a fair bit of feedback from our very vocal regulars on the site, but I'd love to hear opinions from a few of the people who don't tell us what they think every five minutes already :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I like the design of the top bar, very slick and fits together well. Also the listings for the reviews and previews works well but I don't like the new icons you're using to say what system the game is for. Their not very clear or don't stand out half as much as the old ones. Also its very hard to read through the different news posts on the left. I don't know if they're too close together or if there isn't enough of a separator but it hurt my eyes trying to quick scan over the headlines. What happened to the latest screenshots? All in all though I like the new design and with a few refinements I'm sure I'll love it as much as I did the old one. Its still an awfully lot to take in at first glance and it can get a bit busy in a few spots but once you get used to it that's not altogether a bad thing.

Also I know this has been around a while but still... 57.jpg LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

The new look is very nice indeed !

If I have to wait for Zelda to fall down one more time though ...

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I like.

I thought the colours might annoy me, but it's very nice.

Two thumbs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Well, at least you made it possible for anyone not using IE to read the headlines - so a definite improvement already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Oh - what was wrong with the headlines before? I don't think we ever had a bug report about them.... I'm a Mozilla user personally and they worked fine for me, and I know a couple of the lads use Opera on the P800 to browse the site sometimes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I use Mozilla/Galeon/Epiphany (whichever one isn't crashing on any given day) on Linux (With TTFs). I also saw the same thing whenever I used Phoenix on Windows (rarely).

The headlines used to have absolutely no spaces in them. This, combined with the fact that the headlines were written in capitals, made for some thoroughly unreadable headlines.. So instead of "Elixir working on second strategy title", we'd have "ELIXIRWORKINGONSECONDSTRATEGYTITLE".

It was a little funny, at times. Like Countdown for dorks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I like the colours. The front page is far too busy though. You shouldn't hit the new user with so much information straight away. You have to prioritise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I like it. It's a little crowded but I like it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Impressive Most impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Mmmmm, me like, especially the ultra futurist stuff and the gentle pastle colours. Now stop your pimping you cheap tart.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I prefered the old site :/

Agree with the congestedness comments.

Things I don't like:

- Don't like the look of the light grey cell backgrounds on the white background, very blocky looking.
    - Everything has the thick white cellspacing around it (makes the menu etc at the top look a bit ugly)
    - Old logo was better, new one is a bit small and fairly unremarkable
    - The "speak your brain" comments button is butt-ugly :)
    - Looks very like GI.biz. Although the design works much better for GI.

Things I do like:

- The content :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

S'ok, I guess. Not as good as the old version.

It's very cluttered and I don't like the way screenshot links are mixed in with the headlines. And the images beside the reviews that effectively divide the page are kinda icky. Same goes for the 3 or 4 thumbnails beside each screenshot linkamajig.

That said, it's a lot nicer looking than pracitcally most other games sites I can think of.

Oh, and the file-sharing dealy sounds interesting. Is that Eurogamer technology or did you get it from outside?

OH, and I've seen Mugwum's mugshot (aha) above his articles, where's yours, eh? :)

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan

OH, and I've seen Mugwum's mugshot (aha) above his articles, where's yours, eh? :)

Do you have me on ignore nekkid?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

No, just skimmed the thread and somehow missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

theres too much on the main page i think - for som1 new to the site...other than that...its luverly !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

agreed, there is too much on the main page now (or there seems to be too much on the main page now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Its like walking into an empty shop with 4000 staff staring waiting for your money.

Nothing more than sophisticated pop ups

/me clicks close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Er, we don't have any pop-ups.... You're an odd man :)

The front page clutter is something a few people have mentioned, I reckon we'll be having a look to see what we can do to improve that over the coming week.

Cheers for the feedback folks, it's appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

the advanced super stituals, or wotever they call those ad`s that get in your way.

How did you know i was odd, tell me names, they shall be broken like little gurls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Originally posted by bazH
    the advanced super stituals, or wotever they call those ad`s that get in your way.

I reckon interstitial advertising was better!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Er, rob, what would you call that incredibly annoying Zelda thing that floats down your screen when you load EG then ? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Me like it. love the colour scheme as well.

Hope your proud of dishing zelda. If you can only give a game half an hour before you throw it away then you should be ashamed.

Your nothing more than a casual gamer.

I'd call that zelda ad thingy the biggest reason I'm not going to go buy a gamecube/zelda.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Over all I like it, far easier to navigate, allows room for you to add new sections and news & reviews have an improved layout.

But it needs a lot more twitching.

<Start "I'm never going to be a designer" Rant>
    When trying to read something at first the colour of the main icons/images is some what distracting, mainly on the home page.

I don’t think the home page has two much information, the problem is more about layout – it’s a bit all over the place and needs more structure.

It might be a good idea to have the latest screens away from the latest news (something to do with structure).

In the latest news (etc..) it would be better if the comments, date and time, format icon and “read” were in the same place the hole way down each section. Something like this…

Headline
    (format) D/AT/E TI:ME

Text text etc…

Comments “READ”

Having this type of structure* allows the readers to easily and quickly see the date, time and format, as well as using the comments or read links with out having to look where they are.

<End; "I'm never going to be a designer" Rant>

BTW, was the lay out done in-house or by someone in some type of web design?

* I have NEVER used the word structure™ as much.

Advertisement