Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesty International Petition

Options
  • 01-05-2003 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

Received by e-mail this week. I thought that many messageboard users might want to join the petition...

I have just learned that the Nigerian supreme court
    has upheld the death sentence for Amina Lawal, who was condemned for the crime of adultery. She is to be buried up to her neck and stoned to death. Her death has been postponed for one month so that she can continue to nurse her baby. Amina's case is being handled by the Spanish branch of
    Amnesty International, which is attempting to put together enough signatures to make the Nigerian government rescind the death sentence. (A similar campaign saved another Nigerian woman, Safiya, condemned in similar
    circumstances.)

The petition has so far (as of April 7th) amassed over 4,100,000 signatures. It will only take you a few seconds to sign Amnesty's online petition. Go to the web page http://www.amnistiaporsafiya.org/ enter
    your first name in the space
    > > marked 'nombre', last name ('apellidos'), county/state
    ('provincia'),
    and
    > > country from the drop down box - choose Reino Unido (UK),
    Estados Unidos
    > > (Irlanda), or whichever is appropriate. Then click on 'Seguir'
    and go to
    the
    > > second page. There you have the option of entering your
    email address if
    > > you
    > > wish to receive follow-up information. In any case, be
    sure to click on
    > > 'aceptar' to have your name added to the petition list.
    Please sign the
    > > petition now!
    http://www.amnistiaporsafiya.org/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

Already a member, already signed it!

I can post some other amnesty urgent actions up, If we're going to start human rights awareness on this board, ya know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Also a member and signed petition....

That's be a good idea Shorty as this is a good forum for bringing these urgent actions to the attention of more people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Well its an interesting debate. I suppose this is primarily a music board but I think all posters will recognaise the importantance of this case and would be more than willing to participate in the campaign. Perhaps posting selected "Urgent Action" campaigns might be appropriate from time to time.

Remember the days when MTV used to be socially aware?

Advertisement