Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange Question

• 01-05-2003 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭

I know how to do basic things in exchange, but I'm not an expert (hopefully some of you are!)

My boss is getting a lot of spam in his inbox, and wants me to set up a new email address for him in exchange. Whats the easiest way of doing this without creating a new user?

He wants the old address removed.....

(I mentioned on a recent 'antispam software' thread that I'm looking for anti-spam software for exchange..... I'm going to investigate all that soon..... :) )

- Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

In exchange administrator create a new inbox and set the "primary windows NT account" to your bosses network account , then delete the old inbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

could you not just change the smtp address in the present account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

Actually yeah that would be easier ... do that, to do that go to the email addresses tab of the inbox and edit the addresses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thanks, guys. Jabberwocks suggestion worked a treat.....

- Dave.

Or so I thought..... :confused:

Every time the boss loads outlook, exchange seemingly reverts back the way it was.

On exchange, I set his SMTP address to be fore.sur@company.com, set as primary, removed fore@company.com.

Tested an email to fore@company.com - bounced (which is what I'd expect). Tested to fore.sur@company.com and he gets it (which is also what I'd expect). What I don't understand is why its reverting back to fore@company.com (undeleting it and setting it as primary too....)

Any ideas?

- Dave.

• Advertisement

when you say its reverting back do you mean when you check the addresses in a mail it comes up as fore?

Nope... the "email addresses" tab in exchange reverts back the way it was (i.e. the old email address).

Thats where I changed his SMTP address (add new, set as primary, delete old). Is that the correct place?

- Dave.

In Exchange Administrator open up the users mailbox properties and goto the email address tab and change the emaill address

Yep, thats where I changed it. I click apply and OK.

Then I doubleclick on the mailbox again, and the old properties are still in place. :(

- Dave.

that sound like a problem with the permissions you have on the exchange server. Try logging in as the administrator of the domain/pc

• Advertisement

I'm signed on as Domain Administrator ......

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Dave,

What version of Exchange and SP are you on.

2000 SP2.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Dave,

I've tried this here on the same config and the changes stick without any problem. Have you got another admin login you can try with.

Advertisement