Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Broadband - Self Install with own modem or their FREE modem

Options
  • 01-05-2003 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I don't think that this has been officially confirmed in other threads, but Esat BT have modified their IOL Broadband offerings:

From http://register.iol.ie/broadband/index.html
    Self Install: €90 *
    Engineer Install: €190 *
    Monthly Rental: €49.49

* Includes the use of a modem for the duration of the contract.
    Modem remains the property of Esat BT

From the FAQ page http://register.iol.ie/broadband/yourquestions.html
    Q: Will an engineer have to call to my house?
    A: No not necessarily, you can choose to avail of our self-install option if you choose. If you would prefer for our engineer to call to the house this can be arranged.

Q: What are the self-install options?
    A: You can choose to self-install and purchase a modem from Esat BT or you can self-install and get the FREE USE of a modem from Esat BT for the duration of your contract.

Q: Can I use my own modem?
    A: You can use your own modem if you choose to, however Esat BT will not support this modem or make any assurances as to the quality of service you will receive by doing this. Also should there be any adverse effects of using your own equipment Esat BT shall be at all times completely indemnified against blame

As someone else said - isn't competition great :)

I was holding out for IBB to do their Guinness base station, but the recent reports of dodgy performance, coupled with the fact that there's lots of trees likely to be in the way means that it's likely that I'll go with a wired solution.

Netsource is nice without the cap, but an extra €120 p.a. (ex VAT) for a domain name, no thanks. If Netsource dropped that requirement, they'd get a lot of business. With Esat's 5GB cap, I reckon I'm safe enough - I'm not a mad p2p file trader or anything like that, I just download the occaisonal trailer or Microsoft service pack.

So, I think I'll try Esat. I know I passed the original eircom line tests, so hopefully I'll still be OK for RADSL.

Ciarán.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

I thought i'd ask the obvious question.......
    =============================================
    New Conference with i-stream
    from e-channel
    Thursday, 1 May 2003 18:12:37 GMT+01:00

i-stream : Welcome to eircom ie Web Chat , How can I help you?

You : iol today anounced thatt they are throwing in the modem for free
    You : are eircom still charging 120/200 yoyos for it?

i-stream : yes we charge separtely for the modem

You : any plans to change that?

i-stream : no not at the moment sir,

You : OK, help me here
    You : So their installation is cheaper, their monthly rental is cheaper, and they throw in a modem. And it’s exactly the same service cause they are reselling eircom’s i-stream. Can you give me one good reason to go with your product rather than theirs?

i-stream : regulation would be the main reason sir

You : how do you mean regulation? i don't understand

i-stream : the telephony market is regulated to maintain healthy competition.

You : yes. they are regulated. you are regulated, i accept that. from a sales point of view, can you (Eircom) give me any reason why i should buy your product rather than their product, given that both are regulated products?

i-stream : i really dont know enough about there product to comment sir i'm sorry.

You : well you know about your product

You : i can tell you that their selling points are that thiir install charge is less
    You : their monthly rental is less
    You : they row in a modem
    You : row=throw

i-stream : we cant the rates we are offering are the set rates sir

You : so i'm asking you, why should i buy your product?
    or are you just giving up without a fight and leaving the market to your competitors?

CONFERENCE CLOSED

The box at the end said that the call was closed by eircom, i don't think the line dropped or anything.

The above really doesn't need much comment. Of course the galling thing is that even if you go and deal with ESAT, eircom still make a fat profit on the wholesale side, and avoid the hassle of having to deal with people like me.....

Roll on the wireless revolution. And lets all hope that eircom doesn't do wireless, ever. (notwithstanding their 6 hotspots)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭CutterIE

Nice !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Absolutely brilliant. That makes me feel even better about dropping Eircom and their **** service.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Heh, poor eircom guy, he's gotta fight the fight his bosses tell him too, can feel his pain :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Despite the fact that bizmark was told that it was €145 for the self install, I think the price I quoted yesterday is correct. Today the pricing page has been changed to reflect the prices I quoted that were appearing on the first page (http://register.iol.ie/broadband/index.html).

I've filled in their on-line form, but no response yet. I think I'll give them a call later today.

Ciarán.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i hope i was told wrong might call their custumor services .........but anyway esat dont have a online form only a line checker and something to express your interest iv signed it 3 times and no reply

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant - I used form as in the HTML sense <FORM>blah</FORM> :)

I think giving them a call might be the best bet.

Ciarán.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Not in my area. :(

Damn you spoilt city b*******!

</bitter>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

yes us cork city lads we get
    1.adsl
    2.crap roads
    3.crap mass transit
    4.one MASSIVE building project going on every god damn week
    5. um stuff
    6.SARS lol:p

where luck gits!

Well, tried to get through to Esat BT sales a few times today, but they seem to be very busy. I left my details for a callback each time, but nothing yet, even though the last person I talked to said they would pass my details to a supervisor since I had called several times.

One thing I did notice somewhere yesterday on the IOL Broadband pages was that they expect installations to start mid-May. I don't know if that also applies to self-installers, it's one of my questions I haven't been able to ask yet :(

Ciarán.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Lockup

I rang Esat today about IOL broadband and I was told it would be available from next week even though I didn't get an exact date...

Advertisement